Dean Ace...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dean Ace...

Not a Barry supporter.

Dean Ace...

Hey guys...I'm new to this forum but i've posted many times in the Ellsworth and other forums. Right now I have a 2003 Id and a 2000 Sugar. The Id is my everyday bike and the Sugar is for racing (all endurance). I'm thinking of selling both to get a Dean Ace. Does anyone have any pics of their Dean's? Any comments good or bad? I know about the customer service issues as far as 12 weeks to get the bike but how does it ride? Would you buy another one? I've heard great things with the warranty service. Is it true?

Thanks for the input and I'd really like to see some pics.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Hey guys...I'm new to this forum but i've posted many times in the Ellsworth and other forums. Right now I have a 2003 Id and a 2000 Sugar. The Id is my everyday bike and the Sugar is for racing (all endurance). I'm thinking of selling both to get a Dean Ace. Does anyone have any pics of their Dean's? Any comments good or bad? I know about the customer service issues as far as 12 weeks to get the bike but how does it ride? Would you buy another one? I've heard great things with the warranty service. Is it true?

Thanks for the input and I'd really like to see some pics.

Hi. I got my Ace a couple of months ago. It's set up with a Manitou Swinger 3 way and RS Duke forks. I love it.

It's used as my everyday bike (although I still have a Cannondale HT) and for enduro (8, 12 and maybe 24 hour) races - solo.

Can't think of anything negative, it's a large and the geometry seems to be perfect for me (I'm 180cm tall). The bike doesn't seem to flex through the BB area, but the Ti front triangle has a bit of 'give' in washed out or rutted fast singletrack corners. Hard to describe, but it's kinda like the difference between a good steel or generic alu HT frame.

Don't have any pics, but I can certainly take some and post them off to you if you'd like.

Cheers

Ben

mtbr member
    I'm on my 2nd ACE. I had a 1st generation ACE, and actually tore the rear pivot away from the frame. I sent it to the guys at DEAN, and they said they would replace it with the an '04 model.

I absolutely love the bike. It climbs like a billy goat, it rails the down hills, and hammers like a dream. It's no freeride bike, but with the SPV shocks out now, it's better than a hard tail.

With disc's and a Float 100 fork, it tips the scales at just the high end of 24 lbs. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Here are a couple pictures that I took when I did the Flume Trail in Tahoe this past summer.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

-C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fashionably functional...
    Hey Cork,
    Do you have pics of the 1st Gen ACE? Also, what size frame is yours. Been looking at the ACE's. Some have a bend, some straight, some with a top tube/seat tube reinforcement. What has what? Just doing some research.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    Hey Cork,
    Do you have pics of the 1st Gen ACE? Also, what size frame is yours. Been looking at the ACE's. Some have a bend, some straight, some with a top tube/seat tube reinforcement. What has what? Just doing some research.
    No, I don't have any pictures of my old Ace. Sorry. It was a nice bike, but not nearly as clean as what they are putting out now. Basically, now the main pivot is around the BB (instead of just behind and above the BB) and they are using bearings on all pivots points now. It's a much better bike now.

The frame in the pictures is a size medium. I want to say that the large has the bend in the top tube.

I sincerely love my bike. The guys at DEAN are great, so you won't be dissapointed with the construction quality. Have you looked at the ACE xtra light? That thing is sick with that carbon top and down tubes. I'm too big for that thing though.....

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

-C

Thanks Cork,
    I love carbon but I'll stick to my road bike for that. I do have carbon bars but that may be as far as it goes on my MTB. I recently got an older ACE but it's a 2.25. The pivots points are how you described and it looks totally different than an old one I saw on eBay. I'm just doing research to know enough in case I need to order upgrades/replacement parts. I'm trying to set this up as a weight weenie xc bike. Just a project I figured I try. But I am impressed with the frame.
    Since there are so few DEAN owners, I may be bugging you with questions.
    Thanks
    AP

Sedona...drool...

mtbr member

Not an Ace

I have a Colonel 29er, and aside from the long wait I'm pretty happy with the bike. Ti ride characteristics are totally unlike Alu, and are really nice. Here's a pic.

Mid Pack
    Jul 2005

Ace X-LIte

Hi all
    Kind of new to the forums, just would read in the past. I own a Dean Ace X-Lite. With the full carbon wrap. I bought it in feb and I must say it is sweet. I have owned alot of fs bikes and I feel this one is awesome. It took a bit to get use to due to I always road Aluminum. Thjis bike climbs well and in tight single track it is like a high performance car fast and smooth. Dean service was good to me except my Ti bolt kit took some time to come in. If you want to see pics look at the dean web site the X-Lite there is mine

Quote Originally Posted by jenndy
    Hi all
    Kind of new to the forums, just would read in the past. I own a Dean Ace X-Lite. With the full carbon wrap. I bought it in feb and I must say it is sweet. I have owned alot of fs bikes and I feel this one is awesome. It took a bit to get use to due to I always road Aluminum. Thjis bike climbs well and in tight single track it is like a high performance car fast and smooth. Dean service was good to me except my Ti bolt kit took some time to come in. If you want to see pics look at the dean web site the X-Lite there is mine
    Welcome and congrats. DEAN owners seem few and far so this thread has been pretty dead.

mtbr member

2000 Dean Ace

Hey guys I just bought a 2000 Ace Frame on Ebay for $400. Ill post some Pics when I get the mail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    Hey guys I just bought a 2000 Ace Frame on Ebay for $400. Ill post some Pics when I get the mail!
    Congrats! It's a great bike

....and to think that I bought my first Ace for $2000.

Anxious to see your pictures!

-C

I saw that frame. Any idea how you're gonna build it up? I still gotta post mine but waiting to see yours also.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member

Hmmm.

My budget is pretty much shot due to a 01 Bianchi Tycoon I also just picked up.Ebay has all kinds of great deals right now I guess due to the fact that this is prime riding time and no one wants to have down time on there ride.
    I have a 02 Psylo race set at 100 that tips the scales at 3.6 lb
    Easton stem and carbonmonkeylight bar
    I also have a set of Mavic d521 laced to a King/XTR combo but I would like to graduate to a set of disk brakes
    Other than that I will wait to get a killer deal on ebay for the rest of it.

I had a full 02 xt setup w/04 cranks but the Bianchi came first in the mail and everything fit so nice.

mtbr member

It just got here

The owner said it was a 2000 ACE I cannot find any serial numbers anywhere. Also I thought the rear triangle was made of aluminum. This one seems to be titanium

mtbr member

more

oh yea

$429 w/ shipping Oh yea E bay

mtbr member

Weight

It weight about 5.25 lb on my Berkley Digita Fishing Scale. BB center to seat tube end is 21 3/4" Damn I was told it was 19" 23 1/2" on the top tube.

mtbr member

head tube

The head tube is 6 1/8" long. none of these measure ment seem to match the new ace's well mabee the seat tube to the top tube is 15 1/2" Looks like a XL frame or something custom ordered.

mtbr member

Heard from Dean

I wrote Jesse Swift from Dean. He confirmed that this is indeed one of there 2000 Models.
    He says that only a few were built this year and that they did not put cerial #'s on it. It has a cool 2" of rear travel and the rear triangle is indeed Ti. Wow This makes me feel so special.

mtbr member

visions

Man this thing is big. This Psylo wont fit the steerer is 8" and needs to be at least 9". No rear v brake mounts so the wheels wont work These 2.5 michilins dont fit but look nice.

mtbr member

visions

Man this thing is big. This Psylo wont fit the steerer is 8" and needs to be at least 9". No rear v brake mounts so the wheels wont work These 2.5 michilins dont fit but look nice.

mtbr member

oops

there it is

mtbr member
    Yeah, looks like my first Ace. I was bummed whent he decided to go with the AL rear triangle, but I guess the Ti was tought to work with in this application.

Just a quick word of advice with that frame. Be sure that you keep the rear pivot serviced and lubed.

Have fun with that thing, man. It climbes like a billy-goat!

-C

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

If you want to get rid of it.......

PM me.

mtbr member

2003 Dean Ace

Here's my Ace 3.0

5lbs on the nose in a size small.
    Component highlights: White Bro .8 XC fork
    Speedream Wheels with King Hubs
    FSA K-force carbon intergrated crank
    Time Titan Pedals.
    Brakes are Avid Mechs, not the lightest by far, but their simplicity and stopping capabilities have me reluctant to swap them out.

Frame has been back to Dean twice. Once in 04 to have the swing arm bushings replaced. They recognized that this was a problem and have gone to a cartrage bearing system and did away with the bushings. Went out again in June of 05 due to tweaked dropouts.

It's now riding like a dream. Make no doubts about it, this is an XC race rig. The angles are too steep and travel too limited for freeride/DH applications. But if that's your desire you're probably not looking for a 24-25lb rig.

If you're looking for an XC/FS bike to scortch the NORBA circut on, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal for a Ti. FS rig.

Mark