Dean- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dean

I'm thinking about buying myself a Colonel, maybe even a X-lite version of it. Anyone have experienced this bike/frame?

Also interested in opinions regarding the ACE.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Couple tips.
    1) Order now, you'll have it by spring
    2) go for the 29er
    3) I heard the x-lites were flexy, maybe that doesn't bother you, my regular is only little over 3lbs anyway
    4) enjoy they make a great frame, and they sell a great seatpost for a reasonable price

Living Life Behind Bars..
    make sure you order a few extra dropout hangers as well as you may have to wait 3 months to get one

i am, therefore, i ride
    I am thinking of ordering a new bike and need some input from Dean owners. The choice is between Dean Ace X-lite and Merlin Works 4.0

I don't know too many (or anybody for that matter) that rides either one. Price is about the same; waiting time, I heard, is comparable. I can find posts about Merlin and it's brother Ellsworth with the ICT technology but not enough on Dean. Anybody rides one? Pros and cons? Thanks.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    I have an '05 ACE, and I LOVE it!

I am kind of a big boy, so they made the top tube and down tube a bit oversized to help reduce the reflex. It climbs like a billy goat, but decends as good as any 3" bike out there. Keep in mind, though, it's only 3", so you won't be killin' it out at the Northshore.

My experiences with DEAN and their timing has been good. While I have been forced to wait, they have always taken really good care of me. Unfortunately, the guy that I made friends with doesn't work there anymore, but John has always resonded to my emails within 48 hours. I am waiting for the bike Turkey Day ride, then I'm gonna send my frame into DEAN for a little sprucing up. New bearings, stickers, full inspection of the frame.......you know, just good ol' maintenance.

This is my 2nd ACE, and I am planning to pick up a Colonel this spring/summer. The workmanship is top-notch. I believe better that what you would be getting from the Merlin. My thought is that Merlin is now part of the Ti super company, while DEAN is still a 5-man shop in Boulder, CO. So each frame is hand built by someone who most likely rode their own DEAN into the shop that day. I'm all about supporting those kinds of shops.

Just be patient. You will be satisfied once it gets there. It will take a while, but it's definitely worth it!

-C

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My experiences have been no different than any business in the bicycle industry.....slow and lacking in customer service skills. <-- A topic for another day.

1. I third the order today and get in 6 months
    2. They indeed do not return calls...keep calling until you get someone
    3. Awesome bikes, amazing actually (make sure you check the specs when you get it as I had a friend who received an incorrectly badged frame)
    4. I believe Titus, Kona, Lightspeed...make a solid Ti product as well

Not a Barry supporter.
    I have an Ace and it's a fantastic bike. When I ordered it, John gave me an ETA of 6-8 weeks. I told him everything I read and said I need this for a race. Well, 8 weeks and 1 day later, the frame was at my door. So my overall experience was positive. I would recommend one in a heartbeat....if you can wait that is. Just be up front with John in the beginning about the wait times you've read and are worried about, but also the reputation for the Dean name and how good they ride. He should work with you well at that point....or that's the hope at least.

All that being said, I'm parting with my Ace. I absolutely love it but all I ride is my 29er SS and this bike deserves to be ridden. I do see myself owning another Dean one day.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    +1 for Dean, they do beautiful work. I work in Boulder so I was able to bug them in person once in a while but if patient, you will be satisfied IMO

Jul 2007

what's next?

Mixed story with Dean. I had an aluminum z-link. It broke. I waited nine months, but then got a brand new aluminum Baja. It broke. I'm now in month six of waiting but just decided to upgrade to Ti. They are now putting a Ventana swingarm on the Baja. Estimated 4-6 weeks to get this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i am, therefore, i ride
    Thanks to everyone for all the input. After careful consideration, I decided not to get a Dean. For the money, I believe the customer service they provide is below par. I need to factor the service after the sale as well, not just the before and during process.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    Thanks to everyone for all the input. After careful consideration, I decided not to get a Dean. For the money, I believe the customer service they provide is below par. I need to factor the service after the sale as well, not just the before and during process.
    So, what did you get? You can't just leave us hangin' like that....

-C

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by cork
    So, what did you get? You can't just leave us hangin' like that....

-C
    I decided to order a Titus Racer X Titanium with an Ultimate Kit III:
    http://titusti.com/bikes/racerx_ti.html
    From what I was told by other RX ti owners, service after the sale is outstanding. Not only was I able to walk in a store to get properly fitted and test ride one, I also got a call from a company rep after I placed the order..... kind'a made me feel good about spending that kind of money, knowing I am well taken cared of.

mtbr member
    NICE!

I have never met someone who had that bike that didn't love it. I just hope the quality and customer service hasn't degraded since the company got sold.

You won't be dissappointed!

-C

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    I decided to order a Titus Racer X Titanium with an Ultimate Kit III:
    http://titusti.com/bikes/racerx_ti.html
    From what I was told by other RX ti owners, service after the sale is outstanding. Not only was I able to walk in a store to get properly fitted and test ride one, I also got a call from a company rep after I placed the order..... kind'a made me feel good about spending that kind of money, knowing I am well taken cared of.

You'll be happy with the Ti Racer-X. ........don't believe some of the naysayers about Titus's customer service....only a couple of boutique dealers provide better. I'm about to recieve my 5th and 6th Titus Titanium bikes and trust me, build quality is as good as it gets and delivery times exceptional with great service. If you have a good relationship with your bikestore and they are a Titus dealer, they have your back and Ti warranty issues are not even an issue.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Members who have read this thread: 0