Dabomb Molotov- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dabomb Molotov

DaBomb Molotov rider

Dabomb Molotov

Here's a dual slalom bike that I picked up a the Toronto Fall Bike Show for a good deal. It's a custom DaBomb Molotov, and has decent components: RockShox Psylo XC U-Turn fork adjustable from 80-125mm for different conditions, eyeletted Rhyno Lite rims, Kenda Kinetic tires, 6" mechanical disc brakes, Deore drivetrain, FSA AlphaDrive crank with Blackspire RingGod bashguard, VP-550 Alloy BMX style platform pedals, SDG Freestyle seat, FSA "The Pig" Headset, Pazzaz handlebars, OURY Mountain Bike Grips, plus a lovely lightning paint job! The picture below is unfortunately somewhat dull because of the dark weather, and doesn't do the bike justice.

It's a Dual Slalom style bike, 16" frame, 33lb total weight, and seems perfect for light free riding, urban, dirt jumping, and street riding - exactly the versatility I was after. And the short wheel-base and small frame is great for some trials type moves, popping up the front wheel, moving the bike around in the air, and doing other tricks. This style of bike seems great for all kinds of riding, wouldn't you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images

DaBomb Molotov rider

Molotov paint

I just LOVE the special edition paint job on this frame as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004
    Nice bike man.

One word of advice. I would upgrade to a firmer spring on that Psylo. Psylos come way undersprung. By the looks of your dust line on the stanchions, it looks like you are bottoming out.

DaBomb Molotov rider

Undersprung Psylo forks

Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    Nice bike man.
    One word of advice. I would upgrade to a firmer spring on that Psylo. Psylos come way undersprung. By the looks of your dust line on the stanchions, it looks like you are bottoming out.
    Yes, good point, you are right. I'm 170lb and I think the stock spring for the Psylo is rated for 140-160lb riders. The next firmer spring is rated for 160-180lb, and then the firmest spring available is 180lb and up. Given how plush and soft the Psylo springs are, as a 170lb rider should I go for the spring rated for 160-180lb, or 180lb and up? Thanks for your advice!

DaBomb Molotov rider
    I should probably add that I'm doing aggressive riding, so I won't be using the Psylo fork for XC (except aggressive XC maybe!), but more for light freeriding, dirt jumping, and 3-5 foot drops. I'm wondering if that means that even though I'm only 170lb, I should go for the black spring which RockShox recommends for 180lb riders and up. Or would that be too stiff to be functional?

Mar 2004
    A good rule of thumb for the Psylos is to go one spring heavier than you normally would ride.

I like all my Psylos I've had (01 and 03 models). Once the spring is replaced, they make nice forks. They are not as strong as the Marz DJ line though, but not really an issue if the rider is smooth.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    A good rule of thumb for the Psylos is to go one spring heavier than you normally would ride.

I like all my Psylos I've had (01 and 03 models). Once the spring is replaced, they make nice forks. They are not as strong as the Marz DJ line though, but not really an issue if the rider is smooth.
    Thanks for the reply. So do you mean that as an 170lb rider, I should get the spring that RockShox rates for riders 180lb and up ?

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    ...Given how plush and soft the Psylo springs are, as a 170lb rider should I go for the spring rated for 160-180lb, or 180lb and up? Thanks for your advice!
    Go for the 180lb and up spring.

Mar 2004
    That bike should be a good ride for the mixed bag of tricks you had in mind. I had my hardtail spec'd out with many of the same parts and it was a great ride.

The FSA Pig headset is strong and reliable. Just do a twice a year cleaning of the massive 1/4 inch bearings and you're good to go.

Never had a problem with my Deore rear mech/der.

Do check the length of the excess cable on your disc calipers. Sometimes people leave too much excess and it has the possiblity of getting caught on the spokes or rotors.

Sweet paintjob on that frame.

Looks like you got a great deal at the show.

Ride on and be safe man.

DaBomb Molotov rider

psylo fork

Thanks for the replies, frankenbike! It's appreciated!

Rockshox rates the springs as follows:
    <140 lb. (63 kg) Yellow
    140-160 lb. (63-70 kg) Red
    160-180 lb. (70-80 kg) Blue
    180 lb. (80 kg) Black

Would those ratings be for regular XC, and for doing other stuff a firmer spring is needed? Mind you, some people here have said that the black spring is stiff as a board, and I don't want that!

What kind of riding have you been doing with your Psylo? Is this fork OK for stuff that's wilder than regular XC, including some urban, drops, and light freeriding? Assuming you have the right spring, that is! Thanks again!

Mar 2004
    I weigh 125lb and ride the 140-160 spring. As for my riding style, I guess it's what people are referring to as "aggressive XC" nowadays, which if a funny description to me. I ride trails and do maybe 1 footer drops max, never anything bigger than that, my balls are too small.

I used to ride a Marz DJ3 and adding the stiffer gave me a comparable ride feel to the DJ3 that I like.

I can't speak for the Black FIRM spring for the Psylo, so do ask around.

The Psylo aren't meant for freeriding, it's a really a trail fork like the Manitou Black. With that said, it still is a strong fork and used by many Mountain Cross racers. The Iron Horse team races with them. But mtn cross racers are super smooth and the course is mostly doubles and no drops. So for dirt jumping, the Psylo has been good to me. But I'd keep the concrete drops and stuff on the light side and not go too crazy.

Here's a pic of my hardtail during the brief time I rode it. I messed up my back and moved all the parts over to a dual suspension frame.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Nice bike! Thanks for the reply!

DaBomb Molotov rider

Firmer spring in Psylo

Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    Rockshox rates the springs as follows:
    <140 lb. (63 kg) Yellow
    140-160 lb. (63-70 kg) Red
    160-180 lb. (70-80 kg) Blue
    180 lb. (80 kg) Black

What kind of riding have you been doing with your Psylo? Is this fork OK for stuff that's wilder than regular XC, including some urban, drops, and light freeriding? Assuming you have the right spring, that is! Thanks again!
    For the record, I'm 170lb, so I ended up upgrading the stock Red spring to a Blue, and also had the mechanics put in a heavier weight oil (7.5 wt). The results are perfect - it's great for trail riding, but also can handle DJ and light free-riding without bottoming out. It wouldn't be suitable for big drops, but for light freeriding, the Psylo works well as long as you use a firmer spring. I'm very pleased with the results.