Custom steel VS. Stock Ti- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Custom steel VS. Stock Ti

Hi,
    I'm about to add a new HT to my stable.
    I would like a Ti frame becuase of it's durability & ride character.
    I could afford a stock Ti frame like the On-One 456 ti, or the Lynsky pro 29 which is price reduced now. The 456 will allow me to run a longer fork should I decide some day to use this bike as an AM bike but also the longer fork would compensate for the 26" wheel (I ride a FS 29er now and am a big fan of the 29" concept).
    The other option I thought of, is getting a custom built Indy-fab steel Deluxe 29er, but I could not afford the Ti model, so I would have to settle for the steel Deluxe model.
    I would like a custom build tailored to my size, since I'm usually on the fence between 2 sizes (I'm 5'9.5" with long legs and a short torso) but Ti is very appealing too, durability and so.
    Any thoughts that might help me make up my mind ?
    Thanks
    PM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've had the opportunity to ride a few Chi-tanium bikes (The carver, airborne,, and a cotic) and a few custom 'real-deal' titanium (used a friends IF for a week-pure heaven) bikes-no comparison, cheap ti rides miserably and highend ti rides great-no surprise there as this is true with every bike building material (carbon, steel, aluminum). The Lynskey, however, is pretty high-end-way higher end than the Inbred (nice bikes-if you're on a budget)-between than and the inbred, if you're already sold on the 29er-and the price is acceptable to you is the way to go.

As for chi-tanium vs. custom steel-again, no brainer- the bike built for you with the highest quality ferrous tubes by a high quality outfit will ride better (and cost more).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    , if you're already sold on the 29er-and the price is acceptable to you is the way to go.

As for chi-tanium vs. custom steel-again, no brainer- the bike built for you with the highest quality ferrous tubes by a high quality outfit will ride better (and cost more).

I'm not sold on anything, trying to keep an open mind. But what reason do I have to get a 26" hardtail ?
    Lighter wheels is one reason, any others ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    Hi,
    I'm about to add a new HT to my stable.
    I would like a Ti frame becuase of it's durability & ride character.
    I could afford a stock Ti frame like the On-One 456 ti, or the Lynsky pro 29 which is price reduced now. The 456 will allow me to run a longer fork should I decide some day to use this bike as an AM bike but also the longer fork would compensate for the 26" wheel (I ride a FS 29er now and am a big fan of the 29" concept).
    The other option I thought of, is getting a custom built Indy-fab steel Deluxe 29er, but I could not afford the Ti model, so I would have to settle for the steel Deluxe model.
    I would like a custom build tailored to my size, since I'm usually on the fence between 2 sizes (I'm 5'9.5" with long legs and a short torso) but Ti is very appealing too, durability and so.
    Any thoughts that might help me make up my mind ?
    Thanks
    PM
    vassago ti hard tail 29er for $1560, made by lynsky.
    their 16 may fit. 16" st and 23.6" ett

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    The Lynskey, however, is pretty high-end-way higher end than the Inbred (nice bikes-if you're on a budget)-between than and the inbred, if you're already sold on the 29er-and the price is acceptable to you is the way to go.
    Ignore the Inbred as the on-one 456 is hand made by Lynskey and is a cracking frame!

I would agree though, between cheap chinese titanium and a decent steel frame take the steel, but if you're a standard size go with the On-one 456

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yes the Lynskey House Blend PRO29 Mountain Frame is on sale and also for sale at performance.https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad2.gif

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...tegory_ID=3020

Plays with tools
    fit fit and more fit. getting the bike that fits will be much better than getting the bike that doesn't. when a bike is custom made just for you not only does it give you that warm fuzzy feeling but all the little tweaks they make should add up to something that will be cherished for ever.

my advice save a little bit more $$ and get a custom Ti, whoever does it will take at least 3 months to make the damn thing anyway so starting saving

Members who have read this thread: 0