Custom steel?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Custom steel?

stealy

Custom steel?

Hi i want to get a custom steel frame but unsure of what to get so was wondering what people think and what experience they may have had. I've got down to IF deluxe, De kerf sst or a Curtlo advanced mountainer.

I live in England i know IF and De kerf are avalible over here but not sure about Curtlo could be a pain getting one. I would be very gratfull to here what people think or if anyone could recomend any other builders.

Cheers Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    talk to this guy http://www.thylacinecycles.com, mtbr name is Thylacine.

i recently had a Ti arete built for me, also available in steel, aluminum or scandium, and it was a wonderful experience. you can read a bit more here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=220368

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There's been a re-explosion of custom steel builders--and by all accounts they're all very good...no one in england (the Home of Reynolds Steel?!?) builds custom frames??? I know steel frames (Cotic et al) are still popular in England so I'd be surprised if you Homeland didn't have some very competent welders.

For my Money-the best steel Mountain Bike Manufacturer is Ted Wojcik www.tedwojcikbicycles.com

But hell-you couldn't go wrong with Soulcraft (I think they sell in the UK), Steelman, Coconino, Carl Strong, Sycip, IF, Derkerf, etc--like I said-everyone who uses one of these premier steel frame builders loves them (check mtbr.com review for soulcraft--something like 55 perfect reviews--the best of anything on mtbr---ever!).

Have fun--get rust protector!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dave Dekerf.jpg

Dan

After owning a Dekerf Team SL frame since 1998 and loving the way it rode this year I decided to treat myself and order a custom built Dekerf SST.
    I ordered the bike through Dekerf Cycles UK and asked them if they could take pictures of the build right from the set of tubes through to the final gleaming finished product.
    This they agreed to do and you can view the build pictures on their blogger http://dekerfcyclesuk.blogspot.com/
    The service I received from Jamie at Dekerf Cycles UK was superb,nothing was too much trouble (I think he was even more excited about the project than I was!!) he kept me informed constantly about the progress of my frame and it arrived sooner than I expected and is an absolute work of art.
    I am now saving my pennies for a Dekerf road frame!

David.

mtbr member
    Im with Lance on this one. www.thylacinecycles.com get my full recommendation. I recently took delivery of a full custom ti hardtail, and I must say that I was blown away by the service that I got along with the high quality of the finished product.

The frame building process was photographed from start to finish and I regularly received email updates on the frames progress.

I think that the whole Thylacine custom experience is as near to perfection as you will be able to get.

Oh and BTW I live in germany and shipping here wasnt a problem.

stealy

To much choice!

Hi cheers for your help checked out loads of web sites and and read reveiws i realy impressed with the Soulcraft frames they look very cool but always loved Dekerf so do i go full custom or semi Anybody know which paint is best powder or wet? They both say theres is. There's not any reveiws on Dekerf wonder why are they not that popular in the states loved them since reading a test in MBA they had a Off road toad, Brodie and Dekerf do love Canadian bikes. Loads of reveiws on Soulcraft all top marks maybe the way to go anybody else got any advice would be great to here.

Cheers Dan

mtbr member
    If you are going to be spending so much money then you might as well go full custom.

There are pros and cons for both powder and wet.

Powder is more durable (scratch resistant) and cheaper (frame doesnt need priming).

Wet paint comes in a greater choice of colours and is lighter than powder.

Thylacines are painted/finished here: www.spectrumpowderworks.com .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations guys!

The big hassle with the EU is VAT. I mean, we have 10% here in Oz but you guys have 15-20% which is massive - especially when you've just paid USD1200 or so bucks for a decent custom.

Appart for that, we had little hassle shipping to Germany so I doubt the UK would be any more difficult. I get quite a few enquiries from the UK but it's always the VAT that's the killer. We can minimise your exposure to additional costs but ultimately you're going to pay somewhere between 130-200 on top of the Arete SL's RRP in the EU of 1325.

Stealy, do you remember the tests in the US magazines from the early 90's where they tested the DeKerfs, Brodies and Off-Road-Toads? The one that sticks with me the most is a test MBA did where they had a Brodie Espresso painted up in the colours of Autumn with all black parts.

I'm pretty convinced that bike did little but further encourage my obsession with orange!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

local trails rider
    Curtis:
    http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/xc.htm
    Their style might not please everybody, though.

stealy
    Yeh i remember that reveiw those bikes were cool Off Road Toad in team toad green sweet, and the Broadie but my fave was the Dekerf in dark metalic green with matching Mag 21's ah i love sweet steel hard tails.

Members who have read this thread: 0