Custom Steel...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Custom Steel...

mtbr member

Custom Steel...

So I am thinking of having a custom steel hardtail made. Geometry would be along the lines of a freeride bike, able to take a 5-6 inch fork, 69 HTA, good tire clearance, etc. Would be doing the occasional trail ride, but mostly urban and park riding (www.raysmtb.com) and the occasional dirt jump.

What do you all think? Strong? Kish? Others????

So far I am leaning towards Strong based on a referral from a friend.

Show some pics if you have something along those lines.....

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Kish...

Carl Strong is a good guy by all accounts... he had some trouble when he was trying to grow big, but now that he's back to a one man show, I've only heard good things. However Jim Kish is a cut above. Here are the pics of my two steel kish bikes. (I also have a ti single speed.) Jim is a great guy to deal with, and makes fantastic frames.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    So I am thinking of having a custom steel hardtail made. Geometry would be along the lines of a freeride bike, able to take a 5-6 inch fork, 69 HTA, good tire clearance, etc. Would be doing the occasional trail ride, but mostly urban and park riding (www.raysmtb.com) and the occasional dirt jump.

What do you all think? Strong? Kish? Others????

So far I am leaning towards Strong based on a referral from a friend.

Show some pics if you have something along those lines.....
    Independent Fabrications - Beat Stick. Super SICK!!!!!!
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    wrenchscience

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxxon
    Independent Fabrications - Beat Stick. Super SICK!!!!!!
    Didn't see that listed on their site....got any pics?

mtbr member

Horst Linked
    Apr 2005
    Unless you are unable to find a bike that fits you well, I wouldn't bother with a custom steel bike for urban/park riding. I'd go for a cheaper, stock model that you are able to beat the hell out of and replace as needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve v
    Unless you are unable to find a bike that fits you well, I wouldn't bother with a custom steel bike for urban/park riding. I'd go for a cheaper, stock model that you are able to beat the hell out of and replace as needed.
    The only thing that came close to what I wanted was the Evil Soverign. And that frame is in the $850 range, so for another couple hundred I figure it would be what I want. Seems like the steel frames are either XC'ish, or park'ish. The only other one that came close was the Nemesis Project Secret Agent, again, about $1000ish. Unless I am missing something......I want a "do it all" hardtail - jump, park, urban, occasional trail. Something that will take a 5-6in fork that won't be mega slacked out.......

mtbr member
    Just curious, in what way's did the Evil Soverign come up short for you? Is it freeride burlyness that you are looking for or just the geometry?

If it's for the burlyness:
    I think you'll find very few custom builders buildng bikes like the one you want. I think most people go custom for fit reasons. And I'd argue fit is more important for xc guys who stay hunkered down in their saddles for hours enduring long climbs and the like.

If it's just geometry:
    If I'm not mistaken all the companies mentioned will build you any you want geometrywise.

Keep researching, I gotta think someone can build exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    Just curious, in what way's did the Evil Soverign come up short for you? Is it freeride burlyness that you are looking for or just the geometry?

If it's for the burlyness:
    I think you'll find very few custom builders buildng bikes like the one you want. I think most people go custom for fit reasons. And I'd argue fit is more important for xc guys who stay hunkered down in their saddles for hours enduring long climbs and the like.

If it's just geometry:
    If I'm not mistaken all the companies mentioned will build you any you want geometrywise.

Keep researching, I gotta think someone can build exactly what you want.
    When my frame cracked, I knew I was getting it warranty'd. So, while I was waiting, I was comtemplating some steel bikes. I rode a friend's Evil DOC and felt it was just too tight. Since it was a good deal, I called Evil to see if it would "handle" a 6 in fork, no go. The guy at Evil started talking to me about the Soverign, and honestly, it was REAL close as far as geo's and whatnot, plenty burly too (something I think I could do). So, since I didn't have the coin at that time, I just decided to run the alum frame for now and start doing research and see what's out there. I know Carl Strong has put together a couple "huckers" and based on my conversations with him, I think he could handle what I want just fine. I guess $850 for the Soverign vs $1200 for the Strong would save me some bucks if it is close enough......I'll agree, seems like making a custom bike is more about fitting a geo that just might not be out there.....

I just talked to IF about the BeatStick, they can make it now, but they are only offering it with the new RS Pike, not frame only $1800.....interesting.....based on what the guy said, that might fit from a geo perspective, just don't need the fork....
    Last edited by xdefx; 03-08-2006 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    http://www.dialledbikes.com/

They may have what you're looking for. I'm thinking about picking up 853 Prince Albert but I just can't justify it to myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are you going custom because that is the only way to get a good steel hardtail suited to your aggressive style and long travel requirements? Take a look at the steel bikes at Chromag (www.chromagbikes.com). They are a Canadian company focused on building high performance production modern steel hardtails. I think they are responding smartly to a growing niche. It is worth checking them out.

mtbr member
    I've just built this http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-36011-cotic.html

Frame is designed for 100 - 130 mm forks

Happily that is exactly the adjustment range on the Pace forks.

I'm liking riding this bike very much.

Although I must say I am more of a trail rider than a freerider. Like it technical and even steep, but don't do drops / get air.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul.html
    Too Old to Die Young

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry xdefx, that's www.chromagbikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wolfhound Cycles

This guy builds some pretty sweet frames. Looks like he caters to what your wants are.

Here is a thread with some pictures of his bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=170755

Beatstick

Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Didn't see that listed on their site....got any pics?
    Straight from IF site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    This guy builds some pretty sweet frames. Looks like he caters to what your wants are.

Here is a thread with some pictures of his bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=170755

WOW, this might be the ticket !!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Flames !

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Only 900 for a custom frame

Man,that is a great price, and talk about some sweet looking builds.

Members who have read this thread: 0