Custom builders in Europe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Custom builders in Europe

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new custom steel frame. I like the Strong and Soulcraft frames, but since I live in Europe (Netherlands) I wonder if there are some good builders over here in Europe?

J

mtbr member
    This guy is in Italy and seems to do a great job.

http://www.crisptitanium.com/

Do a search for Chas Roberts, Dave Yates, Arthur Caygill in the UK.

braking addict
    Oct 2004

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

mtbr member
    http://www.wiesmann-bikes.de/

Hi, Wiesman are the only custom steel maker that I know, unfortunately they are ridiculously expensive. If I were you i'd ditch the idea of buying European, too expensive, the best frame builders are in the US. i.e. www.Thylacinecycles.com .

local trails rider
    There is a big thread about a Crisp frame project in the Singlespeed area. Pretty awsome. Nobody has spelled out what it cost, though, and I am not sure if he does non-titanium stuff.

Curtis leans more towards hard core hardtails but they also do XC oriented frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks for all the info ...

I'm looking for a light pure XC frame in the Euro 1000,- range, so that will sule out most Ti frames. The prices of Wiesmann seem pretty steep to.

I like what I see at Solitude, any guess what price range he's in? The Curtis XC frame also lokes very nice, although it might be a little on the heavy side.

Found this one myself, has anybody experience with these builders?

http://www.germans-cycles.de/

http://www.duell.nl/frame_info.asp?frameid=13

Jowan

mtbr member
    I think you should speak to Warwick at Thylacine before making a decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i'd expect to pay around the £700 mark for a solitude, thats about what i paid for mine but the price varies depending on spec.

local trails rider
    I was just thinking that Nicolai also does "custom" frames but they only work with aluminum and have a pretty different style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/
    Edit: Oops. Sorry. Already there.
    Last edited by Bone Collector; 10-27-2006 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh
    I think you should speak to Warwick at Thylacine before making a decision.
    20_bandh lives in Germany and we recently shipped him a really sweet Ti hardtail.

Jowan, a custom steel hardtail that's worth having would be tough to get under €1000. Our Arete model is €1150 and the Arete SL is €1350. That includes shipping within the EU but doesn't include VAT or any other taxes and charges.

For comparisson, an Arete Ti will set you back €2155.

Shipping and dealing internationally couldn't be easier as 20_bandh will attest, and we're set up especially for it.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Don't forget Pegoretti. Dario makes one of the best frames, period.
    He also makes a nice MTB frame, but I believe that guys here are right - it's actualy cheaper to buy US made frame.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

Robin Mather (UK)

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    There is a big thread about a Crisp frame project in the Singlespeed area. Pretty awsome. Nobody has spelled out what it cost, though, and I am not sure if he does non-titanium stuff.

Darren Crisp does Ti-only. Frame prices (full custom) start at 1800 Euro's. Him being in Europe was one of my reasons for going his way. He's a skilled crafstman and a bike-nut pur sang.... Drop him an email with your idea's. (warning; he'll be out of the office till mid january though).
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Genubah
    There are no contact details on this site. Does Gebla still exist??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Asking the same question on the Singletrack board will provide a better range of answers from the UK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

price

I build frames and plan to start a commercial frameshop sometime next year (in Holland). I have taken the winter off to get set up properly and to build a couple frames for myself. I never even had time for that when I was building as a hobby.

I think a custom frame under 1000 euro is possible (I don't build them), but will force you to give up some demands. There is are levels of custom. A full custom with a lot of your wishes incorporated will cost more then 1000. Hourly rates are also higher in Europe so European builders might also charge more for a frame. But having your builder near and being able to meet him/her and talk about your frame also makes you end up with a frame better fitting to your needs!!

You could also call M-gineering.nl, he is also singlespeed minded and able to build something nice.

I am not up and running yet but will make a lot of noice once the time comes!!!

Good luck,
    le Cadre Custom Bicycles; www.lecadre-bicycles.com/wp

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    Found this one myself, has anybody experience with these builders?

http://www.germans-cycles.de/

http://www.duell.nl/frame_info.asp?frameid=13

Jowan
    Although, from the mentioned alternatives I ´ld go with solitude, I know a few guys who are very very satisfied with their GERMANS. If I kept it right, it is the longtime housebrand of the former Yeti & Co distributer German Möhren, who has a lot of experience in MTB. Design, specification, and so on is his task. The welding process makes a little italien manufacture. I can´t remember wich one.
    The Pricing for fully custom is fair, they usually does a proper powdercoating but if you are looking for any exentric paintjob (spectrum?) or frame design (dekerf/retrotec?), remember, you are in good ol´ traditional europe. We have culture, we don´t need to be experienced

Members who have read this thread: 0