curtlo question- Mtbr.com

Thread: curtlo question

Mar 2004

curtlo question

for you guys that own a curtlo.... I'm having trouble getting in touch with Doug about building me a frame. Does he kind of take his time getting back to you via e-mail??

I haven't heard back from him since e-mailing him... I"m not upset, just curious if this is simply how he works.

thanks!

ryan

Drinkin' Buddy

He's been in Seattle for the past three days...

... at the Seattle Bike Expo. My friend chatted with him about building up a 'cross bike. It is at least a whole day's drive from his place to Seattle, so I would guess he is getting back to his place late today.
    Kyle
    Got Beer?

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowout
    ... at the Seattle Bike Expo. My friend chatted with him about building up a 'cross bike. It is at least a whole day's drive from his place to Seattle, so I would guess he is getting back to his place late today.
    Kyle
    very cool. thanks!

ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancycle
    for you guys that own a curtlo.... I'm having trouble getting in touch with Doug about building me a frame. Does he kind of take his time getting back to you via e-mail??

I haven't heard back from him since e-mailing him... I"m not upset, just curious if this is simply how he works.

thanks!

ryan
    Yes, sometimes it takes a few days to get him either by e-mail or phone (509-996-8266). He's great to work with, though, and the best deal I've found on a full custom, especially fillet-brazed, which is all he does. I had him send my (road) frame bare, and I've been waiting longer on the painter than I did for the frame. If I decide on a cross frame next year, I'll have Doug build it.

-David

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I worked with Doug about five years ago to have a custom trials frame built. I had a VERY unpleasant experience. Waited 9 months for the frame that, when it finally showed up, met very few of my specifications. It broke at a cold weld on the chainstay/BB in less than three months. It remains the only frame I've ever broken.

So as not to be unfair, the frame was aluminum. I suspect that he didn't weld it himself. BUT...the geometry was off, and more importantly, the frame parts (tubing, dropouts, BB shell) I spec'd weren't what I asked for.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

Jan 2004

remember, Doug no longer does Aluminum or welding

Doug's limiting himself to fillet brazed steel these days, probably because he didn't like Aluminum too well. If you research his history, he only spent 2-3 years working with Aluminum.

I own two Curtlos. Doug builds such great frames that two of my friends have bought Curtlos after riding mine. I have absolutely no reservations about recommending Doug, but I do tell people to allow Doug his own timing and schedule -- in other words, order during the Fall so that your Curtlo can be built by the new riding season next Spring.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Doug's limiting himself to fillet brazed steel these days, probably because he didn't like Aluminum too well. If you research his history, he only spent 2-3 years working with Aluminum.

I own two Curtlos. Doug builds such great frames that two of my friends have bought Curtlos after riding mine. I have absolutely no reservations about recommending Doug, but I do tell people to allow Doug his own timing and schedule -- in other words, order during the Fall so that your Curtlo can be built by the new riding season next Spring.
    hmmm, his website says that he's doing TIG steel frames... is this outdated info.? not that I have any issues w/ fillet brazed... the contrary actually.

but yeah, virtually everything I've read/heard about Doug is he's fantastic. I'm looking forward to working with him.

ryan s.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    but I do tell people to allow Doug his own timing and schedule -- in other words, order during the Fall so that your Curtlo can be built by the new riding season next Spring.
    DUDE! I can have your bike done in 4 weeks!

Jan 2004

me too, but I'm not Doug :D

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    DUDE! I can have your bike done in 4 weeks!
    hey man, I resemble that or whatever...

:evil:

Jan 2004

me too, but I'm not Doug :D

Roseanne Rosannadanna

Mar 2004
    anyway, I ordered my frame last week. doug said it should take around 6 weeks... not bad at all. needless to say, I'm pretty stoked to have it show up on my doorstep. : )

ryan s.