Curtlo geared Softail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Curtlo geared Softail

Some pics of A wonderful STEEL bike...Any questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Awesome bike. I'm jealous....

Quote Originally Posted by marinjp
    I had a Cutlo Mountaineer for years. I loved that bike. I'm still kicking myself for selling it. How much softer is your Curtlo then a hardtail? Did you have a choice in rear shocks?

Great color.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AS Someon Who is Trying to Decide between a F/S and...

softtail, I am wondering what pushied you in this direction?? I am waffling between the YBB and Smoothie, both form Moots. I currenlty ride a Ti hardtail and am intrigued by the relative simplicity of the softtail concept, but want to insure that there will be a noticeable difference between a S/T and my Ti hardtail.

Mar 2004
    I can't wait to get my Curtlo!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

why a softail? well

I had a nice ti hardtail before I got the curtlo. The hardtail was a little small, i like to be stretched out and I had a bunch of buddies with the moots ybb-but I couldn't drop that kind of money. I saw what curtlo was doing and for the price his frames are amazing. In my opinion steel bikes ride better than ti, they are more rigid and solid but have a "snappy" and lively feel to them. My ti bike kinda felt a little "dead" and flexi. I had the curtlo built w/ a kind of fisher genesis geometry. Close to an 18 inch YBB geometry, but with a sloping top tube for increased standover. Is a softail better than an equivelent hardtail?-depends. The rear shock on this bike is very adjustable, much more so than the simple coil or elastomer softail designs of other companies. The tuneability is nice(rebound, Pos./Neg. compression) but the "real" shock adds some weight! This frame alone weighs close to 4.5 lbs. The steel softail feels different than the ti, more solid overall, not as lite or squishy. I like the feel. I didn't have any other choices with the shock, but this is the one you want! All the other softail companies have added the sid as the shock of choice or as an option for a reason. A ybb frame new costs $2300, the Curtlo cost $950-custom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    oh, forgot one thing. If you are looking for a Moots YBB-I currently have a 19 inch sitting in my basement. it's a 2000 Model with the metal headbadge but w/o disc tabs. Full 9 spd XTR-shows wear but new drivetrain and not ridden in 2 years. Chris king headset and hubs, monkey lite bar, Ti moots post. It is damn Lite!!! My buddy bought a turner xce in 2002 and hasn't touched his ybb since. Asking $2100

34N 118W

pivot?

does Doug use a pivot or pivotless ala YBB? I can't imagine that steel has the same flex properties as ti....maybe it does.

NFB!
    HW

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pivotless, like ybb. Actually steel is the original material for softail use. The softail design has been used for a hundred+ years on bicycles. Tom ritchey pioneered the use of butted steel tubing for softail mountain bikes in the early nineties. Doug uses Ritchey WCS butted steel stays for his softies which are designed to have increased vertical compliance and lateral stiffness. The amount that the material is required to "bend" is tiny actually(very short travel) and can go through hundreds of thousands of cycles w/o fatigue. Ibis/castellano even does this with aluminum! Compared to Ti, steel does have a different kind of feel, can't really describe. Doesn't build up as lite, of course but lateral rigidity is so much better. I rode ybb that would "twist" between the head tube and seat tube at speed creating "speed wobbles", very scary feeling.

34N 118W

thanks

makes sense, wasn't sure tho. Just got a new Curtlo from Doug earlier this year. It rocks! I was thinking of a ti softail and may still try a ti hardtail 29", but so far the steel feels nice. Real nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

comparo between steel and ti softails

Good feedback. I had the same question and wondered. This frame pictured here looks awesome BTW.

I was wondering with Moots with their custom program if they can dial in some stiffness (for certain riders) to eliminate this problem? This is the concern I have with their frame. My concern with steel is the weight and abrasion resistance versus titanium. It's too bad I can't demo a steel st.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

any custom builder should dial in the ride characteristics

to suit your need. Moots probably can do this, but at a big cost as ti is very hard to manipulate. if you require a frame size larger than 18 or 19 inches, I would stay away from Ti. Otherwise you should be ok. Litespeed made a very nice softail for a few years with a heavily ovalized downtube which made it very solid, can't remember if it was the tsali or the unicoi-i think it is the tsali. if you can find the "stiff" one it might be a nice option. As for the durability of steel, I wouldn't sweat it. Framesaver and a new paint job every few years and it will last a good long time. Curtlo frames are warranteed for life! They are a tad heavier though. If you are looking at moots ybb, let me know-I have two buddies trying to unload theirs. One is a 19, the other an 18 SL model-both with very nice builds and going for good prices.

Oh, and unfortunately I no longer own the Curtlo Pictured, as much as I enjoyed it and think Curtlo builds great bikes, I can only own one at a time and had the itch for a dually. If I come into some money I Will definately buy a new curtlo though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

wait a minute......

So what did you buy in place of it? What ride characterisitcs do you like beyond the Curtlo (softtail) and what type of riding do you do? I ask becuase I am considering a ST design.

I would be interested in the 18" YBB but not the SL except I weigh 175 lbs and throw down about 340 watts sustainable power so I think it may flex too much. Also, I have never ridden one before so wonder if I should just stick with modern cx designs for racing-ie Fuel, Titus, etc. I like the simplicity of the softail, reduced weight and wondering if lateral flex and bob would be reduced.

Thanks for the comments BTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm a lightweight(135lbs.), not very agressive, ride in front range colo. so mostly singletrack riding. I do some long distance racing, so comfort over speed and relatyively light weight is ideal for me. I currently ride a sugar +, comes in at 25 lbs.(4 inches for and aft.), Based on what you indicated, I think a fuel or racer x, asr-sl or epic would be the ideal bike for you. They are all race-able, light, and stiff. A steel softi would be too heavy for you, ti may be too flexy. If you can, try a moots-lot's of people race em and love em. But I know many people who have given up the moots for a dualie race bike, as they are just faster over all, up and down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

thanks

That's what I was looking for. I have a Fuel now but bike lust is never ending.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004

I guess I'll try posting a pic of my Curtlo again.

Image quality sucks. Sorry.

--Vlad

mtbr member

im buying a curtlo softail

based on the geometry of my voodoo bizango. ordered it a few weeks ago, cant wait to get it. im 6ft 2in. and 250lbs and doug assured me that he could build a light weight (relatively speaking) st that would be stiff in the bb area and not feel like a noodle. i started mtbking on a full rigid so im really not into long travel at all. just need something to do epics on the east coast where rocks and roots are every where.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

Man, I saw this just a bit too late :(

I am/have been in the process of looking for a soft tail frame to build into a single speed. I have pretty much looked an every company and design trying to find on that would work and fit in my budget. I looked at their website and saw the soft tail the had listed and did not like it as it had the KHS type shock which I did not like. I wanted a designated shock like on the DEAN or Trek STP. With a DEAN I could have had an EBB installed but the frame was going to be more than I wanted to pay. I ended up getting a Trek STP, running a White Industries ENO eccentric rear hub and needing to use V-brakes in the rear.
    Now I see your bike and this "would" have been exactly what I was looking for. Oh well, live and learn.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by marinjp

mtbr member
    Wonderful indeed! Nice ride man.

Jan 2004
    Doug's a great builder, but I don't get this design. I have two Curtlos and both are great, but both are hardtails.

The soft-tail is not really much better riding than the HT, and it has problems.

1) proprietary RockShox SID is the only rear shock you can use

2) air shock

3) two friends with the Curtlo ST frame had shock problems AND frame issues related to the proprietary shock.

here's a sweet pair of non-ST Curtlos, white SS and green gearie

mtbr member

whew, i dodged a bullet then !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Doug's a great builder, but I don't get this design. I have two Curtlos and both are great, but both are hardtails.

The soft-tail is not really much better riding than the HT, and it has problems.

1) proprietary RockShox SID is the only rear shock you can use

2) air shock

3) two friends with the Curtlo ST frame had shock problems AND frame issues related to the proprietary shock.

here's a sweet pair of non-ST Curtlos, white SS and green gearie
    i switched my order to the hardtail with curved stays. being 6ft 2in and 245lbs made me very nervous about using an air shock. i just got the frame today and it looks great. now i dont have to worry about shock failure. man that was close!
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Jan 2004
    good choice, edouble! glad I saved you a potential headache or two.

Mar 2004
    since we're posting and reposting pictures of Curtlos, here's mine.