Is Curtlo the best for the money?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Is Curtlo the best for the money?

Any other good steel frame builders out there that do custom frames for under $1000? This would be a geared 29er hardtail.

mtbr member

Good Things

I have heard only good things about his bikes. I am in the middle of a build right now. I will let you know when I get to ride it. The only bummer is his wait times. They are allot longer then he says.
    Live Large

N+1

steel

Doug is about the most affordable - but the wait, and long periods of non-communication can be frustrating....but the end product is great. For just a little bit more money, consider Walt at waltworks.com for a much shorter wait and an excellent product and build experience. Also, Scott Quiring at quiringcycles.net, he does nice steel and his paint is unmatchable, if you're into fancy 2-color frames. But I have a Curtlo Epic soft tail 29er, and love it.
    Last edited by MichiganClydesdale; 05-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thank you both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think Curtlo has to be the very best value today in a custom steel frame. $825 for a custom handbuilt in the US frame? Are you kidding me? A Niner MCR cost more. For just a little bit more, Wlatworks is known to build a fantastic frame. Going with black for a color will allow one to be on a geared Waltworks for $1,000. I am lucky enough to have placed down payments at both of these builders recently. Could not decide, so decided for one of each. I have looked at both for a very very long time and decided now is the time.

Since these things come in threes, my next one will likely be a Quiring. But that is getting way ahead of myself, so . . . . .

I expect the Walt will be ready in August, but the Curtlo will be November. I am sure both will be fantastic and worth the wait.

Clockwork bikes also seem to be a fantastic deal.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    If your not in a hurry, go for the Curtlo. Put down your deposit, don't expect to hear anything for a number of months and then the frame shows. Its a "steel" at his asking price. Love mine. With custom frames its best to think of it this way: Be told 3 months, expect it to take 5 months, don't be upset if it shows up in 7 months.

mtbr member

agree with that

Im at 7 months and still have not gone over components with him. My frame is supposed to be at powder coat (I think).I just hope to get it this summer . He is a real nice guy though.
    Live Large

N+1

good call

I have both, Waltworks and Curtlo, and they're fantastic. I've ridden a bunch of other custom frames, steel and ti, but nothing has compared to the ride quality of these two builders. Walt is a bit more money, but he'll keep you in the loop the whole way during the build process and he's a phone call or email away. I like working with him. Doug is MIA often, but his end product is fantastic and the overall wait isn't bad at any price - and it's a great deal at his prices. I recently had communication with Doug and it was timely and very responsive, on a very minor issue. Doug and Walt have both added new color choices too.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

you can try to contact some of the US custom dj builders like nemesis project and tonic fab. I am working with the former right now but pricewise, both and curtlo are on similar pages, i think.

Members who have read this thread: 0