Cranksets..- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cranksets..

mtbr member

Cranksets..

Ok, same question, different component. What cranks are you guys running on your XCLs and EVOs and what would you recommend ... spec'ing out cranks right now...thanks..
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

locked - time out
    I like the Fsa stuff. ( mega exo/gap/moto) Truvativ is sweet to. (Noir)

mtbr member
    I like the Truvativ cranks as well, but the Holzfeller/Howitzer combo doesn't work too well on the Evo, in my experience.

I had to run a longer spindle in my BB in order to clear the suspension bolt on the drive side. This resulted in the 56mm chainline, which I think led to poor shifting and a lot more bent derailleur hangers than necessary.

I've now switched to the XT cranks and everything works way better, and I have yet to bend a derailleur hanger. They're not nearly as stout as my Holzfllers, but I'm going to ride them hard and see if I can break them. If not, they're a significant weight savings too.

So is your face
    shimano xt. simple. strong. shifts well.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Surfing trails
    Personally, I've always liked the Race Face Atlas - light enough for XC rigs and strong enough for AM use. And I've never had a problem with Race Face's external bearings but I know some folks have. Plus, they look great.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevegal
    Personally, I've always liked the Race Face Atlas - light enough for XC rigs and strong enough for AM use. And I've never had a problem with Race Face's external bearings but I know some folks have. Plus, they look great.
    Agree, I love the way the Deus and the Atlas look ... and was suprised at how light they are.

bbc
    Bueno!
    I tried the Racface Deus on the 1st EVO we built.....shifting and setup not so good. Switched it to Shimano XT and everything setup perfect. Shifting was dead on. My vote is either Truvativ or Shimano.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    I tried the Racface Deus on the 1st EVO we built.....shifting and setup not so good. Switched it to Shimano XT and everything setup perfect. Shifting was dead on. My vote is either Truvativ or Shimano.
    I built up a green evo with a RaceFace Atlas using a 1.5mm spacer, worked well -- you can see it, I posted it under "New Green Metallic EVO." Shimano stuff always bolts up perfectly on our XCLs and EVOs.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 06-08-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0