The countdown has begun .....to Chumba XCL,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

The countdown has begun .....to Chumba XCL,

that is !
    So its one more weekend without being able to ride. But the light at the end of the tunnel
    is that within a couple weeks the build kit should arrive at bbc, and I can start thinking
    about riding again. This will be the standard build kit that Chumba offers. All good stuff.
    One thing I'm not sure about, though is the stem length. I ordered the 110. I'm coming off
    an XC bike that had the same TT length, 24", but I put a 130 on it so that I wouldnt be
    moving the seat back on the rails from the standard position. The 110 is going to be a full
    inch shorter, and my logic is, this is more of a trailbike, maybe I should try to get used to
    more of an upright position. Everytime I've gotten a new bike, I've always had to switch the stem on it. Now I'm on the fence again and thinking I'd be more comfortable with a 120 instead. You do need to balance uphill climbing comfort with downhill stability. I do spend a good bit of riding time on climbs, though. I'm 5'11", but with a slightly longer than average torso, I think. This would explain why I'm always going with a bit longer stem
    than average. Any XCL owners who want to share what their height is and what length
    stem theyre using ?
    (I know this topic is kind of mundane. I didnt mean for the subject of this thread to end
    up being stem length. I always seem to get hung up on stems)

Compulsive Bike Builder

Dimensions, please

What is your height/inseam? What size XCL are you getting? 'Scuse me if I missed that info if it was in your last post. Do you have a bar picked out - what kind of rise does it have?
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    What is your height/inseam? What size XCL are you getting? 'Scuse me if I missed that info if it was in your last post. Do you have a bar picked out - what kind of rise does it have?
    I'm 5'11", getting a large. Inseam is around 30, I think. Some of my pants are 30, some are 32. Depends on the cut and how low they ride, I guess.
    I ordered the build kit that comes from Chumba. I found this on a previous thread from ChumbaEvo:

XCL 2007 Spec
    Fork: Pike 454 U-Turn Coil
    Wheelset: FSA 20mm Wheelset
    Handlebar: FSA 20mm rise
    Stem: FSA 100mm
    Seatpost: FSA
    Front Der.: Shimano XT E-type
    Rear Der.: SRAM X9
    Shifters: X9 Trigger
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: FSA Afterburner Mega XO
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35

So its a 20 degree rise which would make it more upright, so maybe I should go with 120 rather than 110 on the stem,
    then ?
    Last edited by le_buzz; 05-12-2007 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm 5 91/2 with about a 32 inseam.
    Medium XCL with a 100mm stem and Monkeylite low rise bars. Seems like a pretty good fit but have thought about trying a 90mm. And my riding position is more upright than an XC bike, just something you'll get use to. Just did a 28 mile ride with 4500 feet of elevation last weekend and even with a 140mm fork on it, It still climbed good. But I will swap it out to an adjustable once the budget allows.Good luck with the build

Compulsive Bike Builder

Oops, forgot

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I'm 5'11", getting a large. Inseam is around 30, I think.

Handlebar: FSA 20mm rise
    Stem: FSA 100mm

So its a 20 degree rise which would make it more upright, so maybe I should go with 120 rather than 110 on the stem,
    then ?
    If you are 5'11" with a 30" inseam, then you do have a long torso. To go along with the more upright style of a trail bike, you probably want to move your weight back a little, too. I would not go to a 120 stem unless you absolutely had to. Better to move the seat back a little, maybe even get a post with more setback. The extreme case is the Truvative single clamp models this year, they must have like 2" of setback.

Is the bike there yet? Do you have any pics?
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Members who have read this thread: 0