Complete kit weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Complete kit weight?

Anyone have the complete weight of the XCL complete kit offered by Chumba? I know, I could spend 3 hours looking up individual parts and loading them into a spreadsheet or something... but those tend to be unrealistic (usually too light). So does anyone have the weight for this guy? Thanks!

Oh, and how much extra would it be to request an in-house frame, instead of the overseas one?

matt

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by matteus
    Oh, and how much extra would it be to request an in-house frame, instead of the overseas one?
    in house = 1699
    outsourced = 1399
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I too would like to know the total weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Depending on wheels I'd lay my guess on around 15.2 kgs, or as you know it, 33 - 34 lbs. This is solely based on a quick comparsion on my own setup which weighs in at a gargantuan 36.5 lbs..

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Hey Bone Collector, what size and what's the build that makes it so heavy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah Bone collector Im a little curious too. Im hoping to get one in the 27lb range, but with a revelation and rp23 as well as a chris king mavic 819 wheelset.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcantrell
    Yeah Bone collector Im a little curious too. Im hoping to get one in the 27lb range, but with a revelation and rp23 as well as a chris king mavic 819 wheelset.
    I think 27 pounds is possible with meticulous attention to your part spec...and of course, lots of cash. Think XTR/XO and carbon bits where appropriate (although carbon has no place on a mtb, IMO).

good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you think it would be possible with x9/xt stuff. Also what does the frame weigh? Its pretty hard to find any information on that.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcantrell
    Do you think it would be possible with x9/xt stuff. Also what does the frame weigh? Its pretty hard to find any information on that.
    My frame weighs about 7.5# with DHXair. Subtract .5 pounds if you'll be using an RP23. My guess is you can get it in that neighborhood, although this is not a race machine. It should be built up for fun and, IMO, should be built up in the 30 to 33 pound range.

The frame is burly...it needs a part spec to match. Stiff wheelset, medium weight tires and a Pike will match the stiffness of this frame. These parts will add weight, but also increase fun. If mine ends up less than 33 pounds, then hallelujah!

Of course, this is just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dont do any really crazy riding where I really need the extra weight of a pike or any of the freeride parts. It will be my trail bike and also occasional race bike when the trail is too rough for my weenie cannondale hardtail. I would say my custom build chris king wheelset is more than stiff enough for my type of riding but I know it wont be suited for anything with drops over 4 ft or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Size medium. This is an 06, so for starters the frame is about 1 pound heavier than 07's. DHXa, coil Pike, EX325 wheels (think DeeTraks), Race Face Evolve DH cranks and bars, heavyweight Titec post, seat and stem, FSA Pig pro headset, Nokian NBX 2.3's, XT, X-7, Juicys etc.. I have to admit I knew it was heavy but 36.5 still came at a surprise.
    Still, I feel like the setup completes the frame pretty well. I might put her on a diet next winter..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok that makes me feel a little better knowing that yours is built with such beefy parts.

mtbr member
    34 lbs is how much my EVO weighs and that frame itself is ~2 lbs heavier than the XCL. Plus, I got a longer travel fork, Saint rear derailleur, chain guide, bash guard, Speedball, etc.

I would be shocked to see an XCL weighing that much. I think something in the area of 29-30 lbs is very doable w/o a big cash investment.

shred my gnar
    i know this isnt exact, but the shipping weight on my packing list (large xcl) was 29.2 lbs...

take it for what it is...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok that sounds much better. I rode a motolite to get an idea of how an XCL would ride and I really liked it. Now I really want to test an XCL but theres no dealer any where around me (Atlanta). O well I'll figure something out.

Jun 2007
    I built up my own XCL and it comes in at 29.9 lbs.
    Here is my parts list:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=24
    Here is the complete build:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...34&postcount=1

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    My build (not yet completed, still waiting on some parts) is very close to the factory kit. I'll try to track down a scale once it's all together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Nice Build

That's a good looking build. Protection on top and under. Looks like your XCL is going to be well taken care of. I was able to build my XCL with the complete build kit and it weighed in at 33 lbs. You don't feel the weight though when you're riding the bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tonycan
    That's a good looking build. Protection on top and under. Looks like your XCL is going to be well taken care of. I was able to build my XCL with the complete build kit and it weighed in at 33 lbs. You don't feel the weight though when you're riding the bike.
    Hi Tony,

I think you could shave a bit of weight off cutting the steerer, and the PIKE is a little over a pound heavier than the 140mm Fox forks. Let's see a pic of that orange beauty once its done!

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Orange XCL at under 30 lbs

Hi Alan,

Here's photos of the orange XCL. You're right. After cutting the steerer tube and removing the downhill platform pedals the XCL definitely shed some weight. The owner will be installing his own clipless pedals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    tonycan, thats a medium, right ? It looks like you have the Pike also, as well as the DHX.
    Could you post your build ? I'm wondering how I can get my 31 and change lb.
    beast down to 30. I think my tires, WBT Weirwolfs 2.3s with slime tubes, may be adding to the weight. (You have to run slime tubes i the desert)
    My build kit is SR-9 drivetrain, Race Face deuce bar and seatpost, Ritchey stem, Mavic 321 rear with XT hub, DT 4.2 front with Laserdisk hub.

mtbr member
    wow, that looks great!
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi buzz, yes you're right about the components. I think the main weight loss is from me putting in my other wheelset using chris king 32 hole hubs with DT spokes and I've converted my wheels to use Stan's no tubes which eliminates the tubes. Also, please note that the weight is without pedals yet.

Apr 2007
    The seat post that is in the pic is a little heavy also. A thompson will help.

Members who have read this thread: 0