Compare your Chumba EVO- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

New question here. Compare your Chumba EVO

I have been doing my homework preparing to purchase a new bike. Looking for a capable AM bike, but possibly one that is on the XC side of AM due to local trails.

I am very intrigued with the Chumba EVO and would say that it is currently on the top of my list.

The closest thing I have experience on is a Specialized Enduro Expert. Looks to be very similar in weight, travel, and quality. I have noticed some of the EVO owners here also own Enduro's, so I'd love to get your comments.

I'd also be interested to know how the EVO compares to other bikes with around 6" travel or longer travel XC bikes... Nomads, Blur LT, 5.5, 6.6, etc.

Thanks!

nerfherder

vs. 6Pack

Hi FreeRide,
    I'm not sure if I'm the most qualified to answer since I don't own a Chumba. I had a demo for four good rides and really enjoyed it. It was set up with a Maverick DUC32, all around AM parts, and XC tires. See it here. The DUC32 is a shorter AtoC fork than other 6" forks and combined with the light XC tires the bike had great quick handling and snappy acceleration. Climbed well and was a ton of fun on the DHs.

The frame felt as burly as my 6Pack. My Pack is set up a little more AM and so it's a little slower in the handling department and a little more of a chore to climbed but as set up it's sweet on the steep technical stuff. I think the Chumba would be a very versatile frame and could be run as an efficient heavy duty trail bike or as a AM/Light FreeRide bike.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Evo. It rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well, I just finished my evo yesterday. It weighed in at 34.5lbs. Mighty heavy for a xc bike but, just by trying it around the block and a couple of empty lots, I think it will be a descent xc bike. Even with my old 2.4 front and rear WTB Raptor tires, acceleration is pretty snappy. Handling is very solid.

The stats on my bike:
    Fox36 RC2
    Sram RD X.0
    Sram X.0 Shifters
    Saint Crankset
    Crossmax XL
    Thomson Stem, Seatpost
    Monkey Lite XC Bar
    Chris King Headset
    Still using my old Deore 160mm disk brakes (haven't decided yet between Juicy 7 or Formula K24)

I'll do a ride report after the weekend.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRide
    I have been doing my homework preparing to purchase a new bike. Looking for a capable AM bike, but possibly one that is on the XC side of AM due to local trails.

I am very intrigued with the Chumba EVO and would say that it is currently on the top of my list.

The closest thing I have experience on is a Specialized Enduro Expert. Looks to be very similar in weight, travel, and quality. I have noticed some of the EVO owners here also own Enduro's, so I'd love to get your comments.

I'd also be interested to know how the EVO compares to other bikes with around 6" travel or longer travel XC bikes... Nomads, Blur LT, 5.5, 6.6, etc.

Thanks!
    I tried the 05 enduro 6 inch front and back with fox 36 and rp3 setup. First time I rode it in the parking lot, second time I rode it on the trail but very short(checking out someone's new ride).

Impression on both times were about the same so at least it's consistant.

Here it goes, first the acceleration was a little sloppy and heavy, might be the heavy rear tire. Then the handling was ok, but bit slow for me not snappy or flickable. But the most disapointing thing was it felt like it has less travel....but the shock was not setup for me. I came close buying one because supergo had them at close out price, sweet deals with sweet build. But I just could not pull the trigger because it just did not do it for me.

If I'm spending almost 4G might as well be something I really like. And I didn't really like it.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by duke777; 08-15-2006 at 03:09 PM.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Aug 2004

EVO vs. Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRide

Thanks!
    Go with the EVO, I'd say it is a better all around bike than my Enduro - although my Enduro is no slouch.
    Last edited by carnetorta; 08-17-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0