Cloud Nine shock for XCL?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762

    Cloud Nine shock for XCL?

    I'm (already!) thinking about a rear shock change. Does anyone have any experience using the Cane Creek Cloud Nine on an XCL? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Likely not, but whenever one wants to use a C9, I make sure they know about the shock, such things as it's not a real lockout, then the damping is air, no oil. Not a bad shock, but you have to know it's going to operate differently from other shocks.

    On the other hand, Zoke has a Roco Air that you can get for almost 1/3 the price of a C9.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dubjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    786
    Someone (aebike.com?) was selling the Roco Air R for $136 not long ago. I'm not sure if they still have stock or not.

    They may have been on closeout since the 08 models are right around the corner (or are they out already?).

    There are a few posts from people who have converted from a Fox.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=302348
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=294642

    I thought about getting one as a backup shock while my DHX gets sent out for a rebuild.

  4. #4
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    The Roco Air sounds interesting alright, especially at that price.

    I'm interested in the Cloud Nine mostly for the light weight, ease of maintenance, and rebound and compression adjustments. I know the RCA isn't really a "lockout", that's OK with me. Seemed like it would be worth a shot.

  5. #5
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    AEBike doesn't have the Roco Air R at that price any more.

    But they have the Cloud Nine in the right size for $219.99.

    Hmmm...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dubjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    786
    Roco Air R at Universal Cycles for $175. There's a coupon for 10% off that

  7. #7
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,011

    roco air

    If you can hold your horses...the 2008 Roco's are available with piggy back...and compression damping. One also has a 3 position switch like the RP3 (no piggyback).
    Extreme stationary biker.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    If you can hold your horses...the 2008 Roco's are available with piggy back...and compression damping. One also has a 3 position switch like the RP3 (no piggyback).
    Yea, I believe the one with the 3 position switch is called the 3PL. It is a sweet looking shock and comes with a piggyback, but the price is more than a DHX air! The 3PL is offered with a 2 inch stroke, so it would be perfect for the XCL and the EVO, I don't know if people want to fork out more dough for that though when you can get a RP23 or a DHX air for cheaper. Opinions?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Yea, I believe the one with the 3 position switch is called the 3PL. It is a sweet looking shock and comes with a piggyback, but the price is more than a DHX air! The 3PL is offered with a 2 inch stroke, so it would be perfect for the XCL and the EVO, I don't know if people want to fork out more dough for that though when you can get a RP23 or a DHX air for cheaper. Opinions?
    The 3PL is more than a DHXair?? WTF? The current roco air sells for 175 retail. I know it doesn't have compression adjustment, but HOLY MOLY that is a big jump in price.

    Alan...got anymore roco airs layin' around the shop? I want one.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    The 3PL is more than a DHXair?? WTF? The current roco air sells for 175 retail. I know it doesn't have compression adjustment, but HOLY MOLY that is a big jump in price.

    Alan...got anymore roco airs layin' around the shop? I want one.
    Tell me about it, I was stoked to get the prices down with the Roco, now I need to think about it.

    After Im done testing this one, you can buy it off of me. PM me about it.

    A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    502
    I can give you some initial comments on the C9, although not on an XCL. I just took off an RP3 that had been PUSHed and put on the C9. PUSH had set up the RP3 for my weight and riding (wheels always on the ground, no jumps, lots of roots) I was looking for small bump compliance as opposed to shock being able to handle drops and large hits. The C9 compared very favorably, actually a touch better over the roots. Again, the bike has 3.6" travel and I ride like the old man I am, but the C9 seems (for me) a capable performer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    I can give you some initial comments on the C9, although not on an XCL. I just took off an RP3 that had been PUSHed and put on the C9. PUSH had set up the RP3 for my weight and riding (wheels always on the ground, no jumps, lots of roots) I was looking for small bump compliance as opposed to shock being able to handle drops and large hits. The C9 compared very favorably, actually a touch better over the roots. Again, the bike has 3.6" travel and I ride like the old man I am, but the C9 seems (for me) a capable performer.
    Interesting, the reason why I wasn't thrilled on the c9 is because I felt the platform filtered out much of the small bump compliance, but maybe I didn't have it set up right. How did you set it up? Could you give me your weight and the adjustments you made? Thanks.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    502
    Weight: 225. First tried about 215 lbs but find response to harsh. Went to 205 and this felt better. Added 1 click of compression damping and 1 click of rebound damping. This felt very good and is where it currently is set. Not sure what you mean by "the platform." If you are referring to their "Rapid Compression Adjuster (RCA)", I haven't touched it yet. Rode again today and first impressions remain the same. Key point in this may be my rather non-aggressive style of riding. In general I have found setting shocks to have max, or a bit more sag, and then adding damping suits my riding best.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    Weight: 225. First tried about 215 lbs but find response to harsh. Went to 205 and this felt better. Added 1 click of compression damping and 1 click of rebound damping. This felt very good and is where it currently is set. Not sure what you mean by "the platform." If you are referring to their "Rapid Compression Adjuster (RCA)", I haven't touched it yet. Rode again today and first impressions remain the same. Key point in this may be my rather non-aggressive style of riding. In general I have found setting shocks to have max, or a bit more sag, and then adding damping suits my riding best.
    Cool, I'll give it a shot, how much percent sag are you running?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    502
    Strange stuff this Cloud Nine. I realized when I first set up the shock I followed the instructions, which don't refer to sag at all. Crane Creek says start with shock pressure 5-10 lbs under your body weight. If you bottom shock go up in 5lbs steps, if you don't bottom go down in 5lb steps. I started at 10 below body weight and ended up at about 20 below body weight. Today, in response to your question I measured sag. With full shock travel of 38mm (1.5 inch) I had a sag of about 6-7mm, about 17-18%. On today's ride, judging by the dust line on the shock piston, I used about 32-33mm of travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.