Chumba XCLvs Titus Racer X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Chumba XCLvs Titus Racer X

I know that I am in the Chumba forum, but controversy is always fun....

Before I get started, I am 5'8" with a 30.5 inseam. Does anyone know if a small XCL frame will work for me?

This looks like a sexy bike! I am comparing this bike to the Titus, and a Giant Anthem 1

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the XCL is more in the Titus Motolite category, as a trail bike, not a XC/race bike
    Last edited by crisillo; 09-16-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, the XCL is basically a MotoLite on steroids - same basic design but beefier.

I'm 5 '9-1/2" with a 30" pants inseam and the medium XCL fits me nicely after swapping to a shorter stem.

Jan 2004
    Depending on your riding, one of them is a clear winner. Not because one is better but as other more sophisticated MTBR users (eg, crisillo) have pointed out, they are a different "category" of bike. Both are great companies as well.

What type of riding do you do and perhaps as important, plan to do? This is the first questoin at which point people can give you their opinions and boy will they/we....mtbr phreaks are the biggest know-it-alls but if you can sift through the crap and lame advice, there will be some valid points that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    .. but as other more sophisticated MTBR users (eg, crisillo) ...
    Thanx Faux

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Thanx Faux
    crisillo, its really not much of a compliment unfortunately. To be more sophisticated than me does not amount to much at all since pretty much everybody meets that criteria

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    crisillo, its really not much of a compliment unfortunately. To be more sophisticated than me does not amount to much at all since pretty much everybody meets that criteria

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks for pointing out the difference, you helpful mtb phreaks! (more)

I am planning a solid return to MTB after several years of infrequent riding. So here's what I am dealing with...I am totally addicted to triathlon, so I ride road and time trial bikes all the time now. I found out about Xterra racing (off-road triathlons), and I am totally ready to give that a shot next spring. In the meantime, I need the best bike I can afford (been shopping for deals around $2K). I will be riding single track in the foothills of the Rockies,around Denver with an occasional foray into the mountains. I do not like downhill riding. I like the idea of trips to Fruita and Moab, and I am planning on racing with a team in the Kona 24 hours of Tucson. I believe I need a cross country bike, but given the choice, I will take a slightly more comfortable ride, so that I can ride longer. I am 40, and I do not love the pounding on my back my GT hardtail gives me anymore.

I've been looking at Santa Cruz, Chumba, Titus, Ellsworth, Rock Mtn, etc.

Suggestions are appreciated.

So is your face
    For racing, I'd stick to the 4" bike category.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    For the type of riding/racing you describe the Titus Racer X would be an outstanding choice.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    For the type of riding/racing you describe the Titus Racer X would be an outstanding choice.
    agreed.....i would venture to say there may be no better choice, period, in my opinion....

of course the 29er d!cks will come any minute and one up anything anybody says by adding the 29er reference to whatever choice would otherwise be the best choice in their mind

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

ad nauseum...

Looking at this from another angle, why would the XCL be a lesser choice for riding singletrack, and the occasional race? I think it has one inch more travel in front, and four or five pounds more than the Titus. I've read rave reviews of both bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zevy voom
    Looking at this from another angle, why would the XCL be a lesser choice for riding singletrack, and the occasional race? I think it has one inch more travel in front, and four or five pounds more than the Titus. I've read rave reviews of both bikes.
    I believe it's because most racers get hung up on weight. If weight isn't an issue, then get the XCL. You'll definitely have more fun on it on technical singletrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I'm going to try to ride both bikes

I've decided that I can probably talk to people until I am blue in my face about all these bikes, and the options. I am going to go ride the Chumba and the Titus, and a Giant, and I don't know what else, until I get a perma-grin...

Trophy Husband
    I am going to go ride the Chumba and the Titus, and a Giant, and I don't know what else, until I get a perma-grin...
    Best idea yet!

Then, you have no one else to blame but yourself...well, you can still blame Faux.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I love the XCL, but it's no serious race bike. I race Trek Fuel EX7, and I have done well with that, but I've been told it is no race bike either. Basically, it comes down to who has the meats to out power the others on those races. A lighter bike makes it easier. I have my XCL built for punishment, Lyric U-Turn, so it would be a chore to race. Most race courses aren't technical singletrack, so the advantage of the great handling would be minimized. For racing, go with something light.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I currently ride and XCL and I've ridden a Racer X. For what the OP was asking the Racer X is the better tool for the job.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get hold of Bitterbrush Cycles in Lyons

I've decided that I can probably talk to people until I am blue in my face about all these bikes, and the options. I am going to go ride the Chumba and the Titus, and a Giant, and I don't know what else, until I get a perma-grin...
    they might be able to hook you up with a demo XCL--test it out at Hall. But remember, your first ride on any full suspension is going to feel VERY different from your hardtail. Come back to the XCL after you've ridden others as well and ride it again for perspective.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    all the tri geeks that I know, ride their hardtails on race day.

Members who have read this thread: 0