chumba XCL and TALAS 36- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

chumba XCL and TALAS 36

I am thinking about getting a Chumba XCL. I see alot of them have the TALAS 32 or the RS Pike. Is anybody running a TALAS 36? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Talas 36 on my Evo. It's a great fork and a perfect match to the Evo... but if I were building an XCL I'd be leaning toward the Pike. The thru axle will make it more rigid than the Talas 32, it has adjustable travel, and it's well scaled to the XCL's travel and designed purpose. It's also cheaper than the Talas 36, and the people who use them seem to like them a lot!

Overall, the 36 just seems like more fork than an XCL needs... though that's just my opinion!

edit: I didn't think thru axles made much difference... until I tried one. Feeling is believing.

So is your face
    Ask Geolover. He has a 36 on his XCL.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

the train keeps rollin
    I have a 36 on my 5" bike set to 130mm, and it rocks! I started with the Pike, which is an excellent fork, once the 36 went on, the Pike seemed like a Reba or something.

If you get a 36, I would look for an 06 model, then you can adjust the travel to 140mm, and have a similar AC length as Pike or Fox 32.

Other options would be a 2-step Lyrik or a Magura Wotan.

Personally I would not run a big 36 type forks at full travel 160, unless you like the chopper feel.
    beaver hunt

ಠ_ಠ
    I just installed a Lyrik SoloAir set to 140mm of travel using spacers. At 140, the Lyrik is just 7mm longer than the Pike it replaced. I hate adjusting travel, so for me it's the perfect set-up. The crazy thing is the Lyrik SoloAir is only 140g heavier than the Pike Air U-turn.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I just installed a Lyrik SoloAir set to 140mm of travel using spacers. At 140, the Lyrik is just 7mm longer than the Pike it replaced. I hate adjusting travel, so for me it's the perfect set-up. The crazy thing is the Lyrik SoloAir is only 140g heavier than the Pike Air U-turn.
    Bigger is better
    beaver hunt

Trophy Husband
    It really is a nice setup and I liked it. I would highly recommend it. I rode around in 130mm mode alot for general trail riding and it railed singletrack (same a2c as the pike when in 130 mode). When things got steep or techy I'd switch to 160. Perfect really.

The stiffness of the fork matches the stiffness of the frame. Plus, chicks dig big tubes.
    xcl3sm.JPG
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like a 36 will work well with the XCL. Also very versatile from the standpoint that that you can use alot of different forks without compromising performance.

No, that's not phonetic
    I must have slept through this part, but Geo- why'd you sell the xcl?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

nerfherder
    The last time I saw Ted Tanouye, the builder/designer of the XCL, he had an 08 TALAS 36 on his XCL with a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock. I got to spin around on it. =)

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I must have slept through this part, but Geo- why'd you sell the xcl?
    Long story, but I wanted a big DH/FR bike for shuttling/Whizzler. I thought of selling my Supermoto, but you can't give those bikes away so, I sold the XCL and bought a Transition Blindside (although if I would have waited a few months I could've bought one of the highlines on sale ).

It's a bummer...the XCL was (is) a great bike.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I see a lot of comments about the forks but none about your riding style. I demmoed the XCL with the standard build kit and then purchased mine (Many thanks to Denis at ComCycleUSA) with an RP23 and a 32 which better suited my riding style/requirements. For me, even given my "Fat Bastard" status the through axel made little difference, the extra 20mm of travel (160 vs 140) would only be usful on suicide runs and at 44 (Today!) with my daughter is out of university I'm not likely to risk life and limb now that I can finaly afford such a lovey bike.

The point is that riding style / what I intend to use the bike for, in my case all day adventrures in sigletarck hevens and suported bike holidays, dictated the choices I made rather than the individual merrits of one single item, there is no point paying out for features that you will not get any benifit from.

I should also point out the the money I saved on the RP23 and 32 over the DH and the 36 went toward having both "Pushed" and I tell you that was worth every penny!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    It really is a nice setup and I liked it. I would highly recommend it. I rode around in 130mm mode alot for general trail riding and it railed singletrack (same a2c as the pike when in 130 mode). When things got steep or techy I'd switch to 160. Perfect really.

The stiffness of the fork matches the stiffness of the frame. Plus, chicks dig big tubes.

pffffttt..... 130 travel.... what a complete 36 roadie !~!

Members who have read this thread: 0