Chumba wheelset.. tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chumba wheelset.. tubeless?

Has anyone converted the chumba wheelset that comes with an xcl to tubeless using rimstrips? If so, whose rimstrips did you use?

How wide is the rim?

mtbr member
    Well, nobody replied so I decided to do my own experimentation.

The Chumba wheelset is very nice indeed.. those rims are burly and I believe the freewheel has more engagement points than my old Mavic wheelset.. nice bonus.

Maxxis used to sell a full line of tubeless conversion rimstrips in varying widths. They have stopped making those but they are still selling back stock.. they only have one size available, their part number is 26a5. At $5 each vs. $25 or more for the stans strip I figured I couldn't go wrong there.

Long story short.. the Maxxis strip is the perfect size for the Chumba wheelset. The strip is a molded strip.. it has a "lip" on each side that sits on top of the rim edge and easily fits down into the rim. I removed the stock yellow mesh rim tape that was provided with the wheels and applied a layer of packing tape, then I stretched the ripstrip into place. I mounted up a set of tubeless Nevegal 2.1's and inflated those into place with no issues.. I probably could have done it with a hand pump. Once the tire is inflated the edge of the rimstrip's "lip" sticks out from the tire bead.. not enough that I want to trim it back but you can tell it is there.

I'll post a few pictures if anyone is interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0