Chumba w/ Roco Air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Chumba w/ Roco Air

There was a question on another thread about the Marzocchi Roco Air. So, instead of hijacking that thread, I figured I would share my thoughts here. I installed a Roco Air on my Chumba Mamba* about 6 weeks ago. (*For those new to Chumbas, the Mamba is essentially the predecessor to the Evo. Same frame style, but with 5" of rear travel and less slack geometry.)

Anyway, I used to have a Fox RP3 on the frame and it was OK. I didn't have any issues with it (although I swear I couldn't tell much of a difference in platform damping in the 3 settings). However, I had a chance to get a Roco Air hot of the presses straight from Marzocchi. So, I figured I would try it out.

I have ridden the bike several times on many different SoCal trails and I really like this shock. I don't remember the exact amount of air pressure in it since I set it up a while back and didn't note the setting. So, if you are curious about that, let me know and I will check it. Nonetheless, the shock is very plush, very Zoke-like. In my opinion, it has a much plusher feel than the Fox. I believe it has more air volume. I don't know for sure. But, it is slightly bigger in diameter than the RP3. The Roco has a 1 1/8" shaft diameter and 1 7/8" body diameter (compared to about 1 1/16" and 1 5/8", respectively for the RP3).

The Roco may seem like dated technology, since it doesn't have any form of platform damping. Its only adjustments are the basic air pressure for shock rate/sag and a rebound damping dial. However, in my opinion, this type of full suspension design (four bar with chain stay pivot) doesn't require platform damping to be effective. The bike still pedals great and I have taken it up some steep climbs with no worry about lost effort. It doesn't feel like a hardtail. But, it's not supposed to. It's a full suspension bike that actually gets better traction than a hardtail. Once you are used to how the bike feels with a full, out-of-the-saddle effort, you realize that the bike is very predictable and you aren't wasting energy. This is especially true in technical situations where I can clean rock steps on the Mamba that I can't clean with my hardtail (due to the rear wheel slipping when I "gas" it).

OK, back to the Roco itself. The rebound damping is very easy to adjust, even while riding. The knob is located on top and it has very true detents. So, it can be "clicked" predictably on or off the bike. You can also tell a big difference in settings (even only a few clicks apart). To summarize, I am very happy with the performance of the shock. The price is very good compared to the platform damped shocks (about half of their cost). It is super plush, easy to adjust, and (so far) reliable. If you are looking for a simple shock (set it and forget it) at a reasonable price with a plush feel, I would recommend checking out the Roco. It would probably be a good match for an XCL.

Apr 2007
    Nice , We are always testing shocks to get the best set up.
    We like options. We are always looking for the best shock to use.

J

mtbr member
    I've been thinking Roco for my EVO too...although i hear of bottoming problems due to slightly different lengths between shocks

Members who have read this thread: 0