Chumba Standover, is it top secret?- Mtbr.com
    the train keeps rollin

Chumba Standover, is it top secret?

Yo Chumba Guys,

How about posting standover clearance on your website?
    beaver hunt

it's....
    Who wrote your sig, these guys?.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Who wrote your sig, these guys?.

I get that sent via blackberry all the time, elevated it to dingleberry.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    I don't think it's a secret, but with all the different fork axle-to-crown measurements as well as different tire heights, you may end up with a whole lot of different numbers.

Adding to that, I don't believe there is a standard measurement for standover, is there? Do you measure where the top tube meets the seat tube? Or top tube and seat tube? Or right in the middle?

I have both a XCL (M) and EVO (S/M) here and I'll be glad to take any measurements you want. Just let me know where to measure.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I don't think it's a secret, but with all the different fork axle-to-crown measurements as well as different tire heights, you may end up with a whole lot of different numbers.

Well, if they're providing head and seattube angles, they vary upon the AC of your fork, and the height of your wheels, so they should be able to provide standover as well..

They can just note, what fork and tires where used to measure standover height. Most other manufactures provide this info, it would be most helpful if Chumba did.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    I was told that a medium XCL is 31" with a Fox 140mm. Normally, I think that measurement is taken at the middle of the top tube.

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Well, if they're providing head and seattube angles, they vary upon the AC of your fork, and the height of your wheels, so they should be able to provide standover as well..

They can just note, what fork and tires where used to measure standover height. Most other manufactures provide this info, it would be most helpful if Chumba did.
    The measurement for the head tube angle comes from using the chain stays(specifically center of rear drop out to center of BB) as your guide for being level to the ground. Also used the same way for measuring the seat tube.

A lot of frame manufactures do not really provide this information on websites. As mentioned before, it varies, and it does a lot.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxracer_2

A lot of frame manufactures do not really provide this information on websites. As mentioned before, it varies, and it does a lot.
    That's BS, most manufactures do provide standover measurements. It's essential for people with shorter inseams. I recommended the Chumba XCL to a friend at work, who is about to buy a Specialized (Booooo).

He want's to compare specs, Chumba has all the details on their website, except standover.

Now, if Chumba could update their site, or provide the info here, that would be nice.

Chumba is very active on this board, chop chop..
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Here's mine.

Medium XCL with Fox Talas 140. Specialized Eskar up front and Specialized Captain in the back.

Measured where the seat tube brace meets the top tube.

30.5"

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Here's mine.

Medium XCL with Fox Talas 140. Specialized Eskar up front and Specialized Captain in the back.

Measured where the seat tube brace meets the top tube.

30.5"

Thanks dubjay, now I just need a large measurement.
    beaver hunt

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxracer_2
    The measurement for the head tube angle comes from using the chain stays(specifically center of rear drop out to center of BB) as your guide for being level to the ground. Also used the same way for measuring the seat tube.

In my experience, all frame dimensions are based on the front and rear dropouts being level - wheelbase is the dimension from front dropout to rear, bottom bracket drop is the offset of the center line of the bottom bracket from the wheelbase line. This being such, fork A-C and offset does affect quite a few of the frame numbers and design fork parameters should be referenced when specifying frame geometry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was curious, so...

M/L 2007 Evo with 2006 36 Talas (150mm), Mobster 2.1 rear, Minion 2.35 front...

32" from the floor to the top of the gusset between the seat tube and top tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

XCL large

I just received my new XCL 2 days ago. It has a Float 140 on it and an RP23 with Kenda 2.3s. Standover at the lowest point is 32 inches, which is much higher than my hardtail or former full sus. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (deep freeze here in Calgary) but I'm a little concerned that there's not enough clearance for my "friends" and I. Any others with large XCL frames that have any comments. I'm 6'. I can still freely swap the frame over the next 30 days for a med. tx for any feedback

mtbr member
    Idea:
    Take the bike outside on driveway. Strip naked but you must be wearing your cycling shoes. Straddle the top tube for 30 seconds. If your nuts are frozen to the top tube you might need a medium frame.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by keefe
    Idea:
    Take the bike outside on driveway. Strip naked but you must be wearing your cycling shoes. Straddle the top tube for 30 seconds. If your nuts are frozen to the top tube you might need a medium frame.
    Good suggestion. Some people just wont learn unless pain is involved.

Members who have read this thread: 0