Chumba is made in Taiwan?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chumba is made in Taiwan?

I just noticed that from one of the recent posts.
    That's a bummer, I was thinking of getting an XCL.
    Are all of them made there?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    No, they're not all made in Taiwan. But if you want a US-made XCL it'll cost you an additional $300. Good luck finding US-made components to put on it...

There's nothing at all wrong with the Taiwan-made XCLs. The workmanship is superb. It's a sweet bike and the price is right.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    I just noticed that from one of the recent posts.
    That's a bummer, I was thinking of getting an XCL.
    Are all of them made there?
    Why the "bummer", you'll spend more on Taiwanese made components to outfit it than you spent on the frame.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Why the "bummer", you'll spend more on Taiwanese made components to outfit it than you spent on the frame.
    I just feel better knowing it was Made in America, like my current Intense Tracer.
    The components are different in my eyes as I will only buy Shimano not SRAM except for the chains.

Yeah I know it doesn't make much sense.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    I just feel better knowing it was Made in America, like my current Intense Tracer.
    The components are different in my eyes as I will only buy Shimano not SRAM except for the chains.

Yeah I know it doesn't make much sense.
    Ironic since SRAM is based out of Chicago and Shimano out of Osaka. Personally, I lean towards US made stuff but at the end of the day, if it's a quality product, then I don't care that much. Plus, if you buy a Chumba, you help to support their American owners/employees.

They're all based in the OC and (despite this ) are really great people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    No, they're not all made in Taiwan. But if you want a US-made XCL it'll cost you an additional $300. Good luck finding US-made components to put on it.
    Personally, I don't much care where stuff is made anymore. It's a one-world, dog-eat-dog economy these days. The New World Order is here, baby!

At least the Chumba's are done in Taiwan, where people are paid decently, are relatively free, and consider the "west" to be a friend and ally, instead of China proper with its sweat shops and brutal foreign policy (free Tibet!).

That said, I'm curious to hear how one would go about getting an "American made" TCL frame if they wanted one.

Trophy Husband
    Phantom

The Taiwan XCL is made well. I've ridden it at Whistler and it excelled. The welds are perfect and everything spins and rotates freely. No complaints from me.

That being said, you can get one made in the "OC", but as Chucko said it'll cost you 300 more...1699...still a great deal, IMO. You can have one made with custom geometry for a little extra I believe.

I've been VERY impressed with the XCL and with Chumba Racing so far. The people are down to earth and easy to talk to. I suggest calling Alan at Chumba and talk about it...he's a good guy and very helpful.

good luck in your future purchase.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I believe most of the Chumba folks are at Eurobike this week. You might have to wait til next week to talk to Alan.

locked - time out
    I have a headache.

Ouch!!!

Apr 2007
    I am here just give me a call @ 714-348-6859

Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not to sure about the US made XCL's but the Taiwan version are butted aluminum. The welding beads deffinantly look much better than the US ones- If you are still on the "US makes the best stuff" your lightyears behind my friend.

Because China actually makes some of the best optical equipment in the world. How is this so? well Germany, Switzerland and others have sent their best optical grinding equipment to China to have their products made at a lower production cost, thus more money for them.

And there would be no way Chumba could make as many frames if they were all US based. Its about making this great company grow which is doing so very slowly but surely.
    I have the highest confidence in both Chumba Racing and their frames. You would think I was a spokes person for them or something when I talk about how impressed I am by the Chumba brand. When you treat a customer as a friend and not a future financial income you gain loyalty.

Customer service is awsome as well, I bother Jason and Alan with phone calls weekly. Like that annoying kid that never leaves you alone, yet Alan and Jason have been nothing but help. Before I purchased my XCL I called them everyday! So that says a lot about the company.

Dont ever doubht the structural integrity of a Chumba or Jason will cut you.
    I like rice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was a little curiouse at first. But the tawainese frame has great welds and so nice, can't be beat for the money... and so solid. Love it

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shwatzu
    I was a little curiouse at first. But the tawainese frame has great welds and so nice, can't be beat for the money... and so solid. Love it
    Very few frames are actually made in the US these days mainly due to higher production demands. Yeti has their frames made in Tawain also.
    I like rice.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Must...beat...dead...horse...

See title of message
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought my US made frame in january. This was about the same time when Chumba was moving most of the production to Taiwan and the new, 5" frames were about to hit the shelves.
    IMTHO the Taiwan made frames have better welds than my US one. As everyone sees the aesthetics of the welds as a meter for build quality, there you go. Also, I doubt most would be moving their production all the way to the other side of the world if quality wasn't up to par.
    The whole globalization issue a big, and important one, but you'd rather take that discussion to this area.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    Yeti has their frames made in Tawain also.
    Not all of them ... just the ones that they need to produce in larger quantities...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Not all of them ... just the ones that they need to produce in larger quantities...
    LOL I think youve missed what I said. Thats what I am saying.

Regardless... either US made or Tawain made will do just dandy on any trail. Chumba hasnt had any reports of frame failure since its release of its bikes so until something break on my bike Tawain is the better bike because they cost less....
    I like rice.

local trails rider
    LOL I think youve missed what I said. Thats what I am saying. ...
    Not quite what you wrote ... but that is not the point anyway

My welded in Taiwan 2005 Yeti AS-X is doing well.
    My welded in Taiwan 2004 (ish) Banshee Scirocco is doing well.
    My welded in Taiwan 1992 Specialized HardRock is doing well.

The Yeti has the best looking welds among those three, IMO.

Apr 2007

Those are some kind words.

Well thanks.
    I try to help when I can.
    Just so you all know the I will cut you thing came from a crazy man. Ha Ha He said
    ((( I WILL CUT YOU !!! ))) In a crazy voice . Now its the inside joke at some of the local shops.

I'm not to sure about the US made XCL's but the Taiwan version are butted aluminum. The welding beads deffinantly look much better than the US ones- If you are still on the "US makes the best stuff" your lightyears behind my friend.

Because China actually makes some of the best optical equipment in the world. How is this so? well Germany, Switzerland and others have sent their best optical grinding equipment to China to have their products made at a lower production cost, thus more money for them.

And there would be no way Chumba could make as many frames if they were all US based. Its about making this great company grow which is doing so very slowly but surely.
    I have the highest confidence in both Chumba Racing and their frames. You would think I was a spokes person for them or something when I talk about how impressed I am by the Chumba brand. When you treat a customer as a friend and not a future financial income you gain loyalty.

Customer service is awsome as well, I bother Jason and Alan with phone calls weekly. Like that annoying kid that never leaves you alone, yet Alan and Jason have been nothing but help. Before I purchased my XCL I called them everyday! So that says a lot about the company.

Dont ever doubht the structural integrity of a Chumba or Jason will cut you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When you say Taiwan, you mean China right?

Sorry, just had to do it.

Surfing trails
    All of the idiots I know were made in America so what's that tell you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevegal
    All of the idiots I know were made in America so what's that tell you?

I've been trying to figure out an answer to this question, but I've concluded that I don't see how it relates to the issue of Chumbie's being welded up in Taiwan.

Perhaps it tells me that you don't know very many folks from other countries, because in my experience with people "made" in other countries, lots of them are idiots too.

As am I.

mtbr member
    I don't visit the Chumba forum much but this topic seems to come up here a lot.

Apr 2007
    There are more frames than you know being made in Taiwan . I don't want to rain on your parade or anything. For those who think they are riding a bike made in the brands factory. You are mistaken. At best they are being out sourced to many different locations to meet the demands. That causes quality issues. We will not settle for any quality issues. I'm not going to name names but lets just say they are some of the highest end bikes are made in Taiwan. Chumba has the highest standards. We have mainly developed high end race bikes for pro riders for the last 15 years. This R&D has been passed on to you. We would rather make the bikes here if the quality was anywhere near as good as
    the over seas facility. Can someone show me a cell phone made in the us? I didn't think so. That is another thing they have mastered. We are at least 5 years behind them in manufacturing facility's.
    They have hydro form technology and tube manipulation that we have not experienced here in the US..
    I don't know about you but I want the best bike possible and I don't care if its made on the moon.
    Just as long as its environmentally safe and has nothing to do with sweat shops ha ha

local trails rider
    I do not discriminate between the different areas within mtbr.... I think the Taiwan discussion I saw before this one was in the Santa Cruz area. I've seen a few under Yeti and Canadian bikes.

Apr 2007
    Nice. They are all having bikes made there . Nothing wrong with that.

local trails rider
    I bet a pretty significant part of the Taiwanese population can weld aluminum ...

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I bet a pretty significant part of the Taiwanese population can weld aluminum ...
    Bahahaha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    And they do it very skillfully, with a deeply engrained work and quality ethic that by and large has gone the way of the dodo in the US.

For decent, but not outrageous wages.

I think there is something sick about not being able to afford the objects you spend all day mass producing though.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister
    I think there is something sick about not being able to afford the objects you spend all day mass producing though.
    Agreed. Although I'd guess that's more of a problem in China and less so for Taiwanese folks. Been there. From what I remember it was quite modern and afluent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I almost hate to say it but my tawain frame rocks....super nice welds...so fuid...a good bike is a good bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Agreed. Although I'd guess that's more of a problem in China and less so for Taiwanese folks. Been there. From what I remember it was quite modern and afluent.
    I have too; you make a good point.

With a per capita of about $12,940 US, a frugal worker could probably afford a quality bicycle so long as his family obligations (parents, children, etc.) weren't too large.

I think, though, that most of the workers doing assembly and welding type work would find it to be quite a challenge.

Those in higher level positions and business owners, at least other than noodle carts and the like, could do it easily.

Still, as you note, the Taiwanese are far, far better off than their Chinese brethren across the Straight of Taiwan.

Members who have read this thread: 0