Chumba as a freeride bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chumba as a freeride bike?

I'm looking for a new frame to replace my dh bike. I'm tired of muscling it around the local trails and the Evo looks like a good frame. My only question is how much punishment can this frame take? I ride in the Pacific Northwest with my local trails having a lot of light freeride type stuff but I also need a bike that can handle whistler, north shore, and that type of riding. Is the Evo capable of that? How is the standover on the frame, my dh bike is pretty high and makes riding the skinny stuff a little sketch...P.S. I weigh around 235lbs, 5'9" with around a 30 inch inseam.

mtbr member
    Yea - the EVO can take it - it even comes standard with a ISCG mount.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thats what I wanted to hear, how is the standover on the bikes? Looks pretty high. The other three frames I'm considering are the Santa cruz bullit, Cannondale Perp or the Gemini...anyone have any comparisons? I realize the other three bikes are seven inch travel bikes but thats my list so far...I will be purchasing a frame in august.

mtbr member
    This is just from my limited experience....I have owned my EVO for 3-4 months now. I set it up for AM/FR with a list of not weight friendly components, Transition stem, Transition Platform pedals, diety bars, MRP Bones crank. Bombshell Rims, etc.....right at 35.5-36lbs on the weight.

It has taken everything from rooted, rutted, rocky downhill style terrain, climbs better than my XC Giant did, 20-25ft jumps, awkward off camber/angle root drops, rock drops, stair drops, and even some urban terrain. No major complaints here, wouldnt change a thing. Im just in the process of uprgading to another fork, leaning towards a Marzzochi 66 ATA or Fox Talas RC2 at the moment.....

The bike does set farther off the ground than most (bottom bracket to ground clearance). but that has posed no issues, I can stand up on this bike while in the air no issues, pedal the hell out of it. Im about 5'11 195......

I have tried both shocks, coil and air, still up in the air on which one I favor. Air being the lighter of the two, but weight wasnt my concern.

Good Luck with your choice.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My 32 in inseam doesn't allow me to stand over the EVO without taint resting on the top tube. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride it.....

nerfherder
    I test rode an evo for about a week. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I never noticed standover being a problem. Yes, on paper, it looks high. But when I was on the bike I never noticed the top tube.

If I were straddling it, that might have been a different story. Where I ride I don't need to stop and straddle. But if I were riding ladders and such I may have thought differently.

Fun bike, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0