Chumba F4- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chumba F4

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chumba F4

Hey is the F4 still a good dh frame? What are the main differences between the f4 and f5?

mtbr member
    Since no one else will reply to you, I will. As far as I can make out, the F4 > F5 leap is mainly a structural change to the front 'triangle'. It went from manipulated sheet to simple tubing - making it lighter and stronger (probably, at least cheaper to manufacture if nothing else!). I am reasonably confident that to most people it will probably ride similarly and be just fine. I personally am very happy with my F5, I would have taken an F4 if I'd had to.

Go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh I went for it alright. Should be here in about a week! Planned build is as follows:
    King headset (ano blue)
    Hope Pro II's on Mavic 721 (ano blue)
    Maxxis DHF 3C 2.5 tires
    Fox 40 or Boxxer WC
    Deity Dirty 30's
    integrated stem (haven't decided yet)
    Transition all mountain seat white (already have this)
    Thomsen seatpost
    Hope seat collar (ano blue)
    Sram x9 drivetrain
    Ethirteen LG1 and guide ring
    FSA Gravity light cranks

mtbr member
    Mate, that sounds amazing! You won't regret it!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    not sure what the differences are but like funkydrummer mentioned... The obvios change would be the front triangle on a diet i guess... Cant wait to see the bike... Always thought F4s looked killer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anybody know an online retailer who sells a rebuild kit for the F4?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider
    Anybody know an online retailer who sells a rebuild kit for the F4?
    I dont know bro, but email the guys at Chumba and see if they can help ya out... XD

[email protected]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah I emailed them and also inquired about upgrading to the sealed bearing linkage but I they are probably busy getting ready for interbike since I have yet to recieve a response on how to order the kit from them. Maybe I'll give em a call next week...

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider
    Yeah I emailed them and also inquired about upgrading to the sealed bearing linkage but I they are probably busy getting ready for interbike since I have yet to recieve a response on how to order the kit from them. Maybe I'll give em a call next week...
    yea interbike... busy time for manufacturers. Hang in there dude, i'm sure they'll return your email as soon as they can... But, yea, give them a call next week if you dont hear. Or... you could even pm Marksee... he posts here from time to time. He's the mechanic at Chumba...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try calling during business hours, I have had good luck with their great customer service.

Apr 2007

The F4 Is a great bike.

The F4 is a amazing DH bike. Ted put a lot of time into them and and hand built them. If it is good shape take care of it you will own a piece of history that actually works well.
    I had a really clean one and sold it because I need money . I wish I still had it.
    Chumba never produced any lemons . I have the highest level of respect for Ted and his work . As most of us know other mfg's used to use his frame with there stickers on it because they couldn't compete at moment with his development.
    If you are looking at any used DH frame always inspect it closely for cracks and wear .

Good luck . 8-)

If you have any questions feel free to contact me through www.ocbikedoctor.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So stoked! just got the frame out of powder coat is looks sick! Cant wait to get her built up. Couple of build questions, Does the F4 require the chainguide mount that the f5 does? Do you guys recommend using the floater? (Is it even possible to get a solid brake mount instead of the floater?)

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    some complain about vibrations when running a floater. I've never had any problems with it. A part of it could be that i'm running a 160mm in the rear. I would do that if you keep the floater. As for a fixed mount, i'm not sure. I know the F5s have two holes by the dropouts for a fixed mount. Does the F4 have the same?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah there are two threaded holes on that side of the swingarm. All I need for the build is a rebuild kit and that little chainguide piece and some decals. I'd like to get all new bolts if they aren't included in the rebuild kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0