Chumba Evo vs. XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chumba Evo vs. XCL

i am looking for an All mountain ride, that can be pedaled to the top of long climbs and rip on the way down, both look like they were built for this, i have heard that Evo climbs really for what it is, and XCL climbs even better, i am looking to do all day enduro rides that involve climbing to the top and riding down, that might also in some jumps, (Fruita, Moab, and lots of Durango) also looking to perhaps race Super D on it... what are your opinions, and experiences with both thanks a ton...

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

XCL is a better fit

Quote Originally Posted by theDoubleD
    i am looking for an All mountain ride, that can be pedaled to the top of long climbs and rip on the way down, both look like they were built for this, i have heard that Evo climbs really for what it is, and XCL climbs even better, i am looking to do all day enduro rides that involve climbing to the top and riding down, that might also in some jumps, (Fruita, Moab, and lots of Durango) also looking to perhaps race Super D on it... what are your opinions, and experiences with both thanks a ton...
    I debated over the same issue you are. I looked at both very closely and spoke w/DirtDad and Alan at Chumba and both agreed that the Evo would be overkill for the type of riding we do. I came off of a 6" travel bike (Ventana El Chamuco) and thought I "needed" 6" of travel for the type of riding I do? I could not have been more wrong. The thing I love about the XCL is the suspension is a lot more advanced than my El Chamuco's single pivot design, head angle is great for the steeps (69 Degree) and I have never felt slighted out of the 1" of travel I no longer have. Plus, it climbs pretty darn well!
    I see the Evo as more of a free ride/light DH type bike more intended for bigger stuff on a more continuous basis. I know people use the Evo for all mountain but I think the XCL is better rounded. BTW-it is more than burly enough to handle the occasional drop/jump w/out any complaints, but I would not use it for a full time free ride bike doing big stuff.

nerfherder
    PA is probably on target but out of curiousity what are you riding now and how would you like your future ride to be different?

mtbr member
    At the moment i have older Kona Dawg deluxe, but i hadnt ridden it since last summer as my main XC ride (summer guiding job) but i mostly ride/race DH, so i am looking for a bike that can be pedaled to the top and rip it back down, that can handle my aggressive style, i am not a huge weight weeny due to riding DH, but i am looking for something that can still get to the top of the XC trails around durango, i like chumba because everyone and their mom has a blur or nomad, but there are no Chumbas in the area, i the bike would also potentially be raced as a xc/super d bike, and needs to be able to get around Porcupine Rim in Moab, thanks for all your help

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    With your DH background you may be better on an Evo, I guess it all depends on how much up you do and how much you plan on beating the bike? The XCL is beefy and I have full confidence in it's strenth but I don't DH race. I think for Super D an XCL would be a great combo of strength and relatively light weight and good enough suspension to handle almost anything you throw at it? For Moab anything goes! It all depends on the size of your marbles as to how big you want to go!

mtbr member
    both sound great, and i doubt i could go wrong with either one, it is most likely going to come down to the best deal i can find,

yarrrp
    May 2007
    Hey double,
    I am a downhilla that likes to rip on enduro single track and jump and huck from time to time while cruising xc stuff. The EVO has been a true champ. I have used it for some of the more flowy stuff at North* and have even been to Porcupine rim with her and been nothing but completely stoked. I regularly jump the evo at our local spots and love it for that. It has taken some time to get there on this bike, but I now trust it for all but the biggest stuff that I ride just because I run a lighter set of wheels, in no part due to the frame. It really is like a mini dh bike that I can cruise on for up to 6ish hours or more sometimes and be stoked in every condish. Bottom line an xcl is for those xc guys looking to step it up and an EVO is for us dh guys looking to tone it down....a little. yarr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    Bottom line an xcl is for those xc guys looking to step it up and an EVO is for us dh guys looking to tone it down....a little. yarr
    ha ha ride on, that made me laugh... thanks man...

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    Bottom line an xcl is for those xc guys looking to step it up and an EVO is for us dh guys looking to tone it down....a little. yarr
    I like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm also a DH racer/rider and I have a different view. For me, If I wanna rip on a DH style bike, I'll just lug my DH bike to the top. But, to me, its really fun to jump on an light, agressive style XC bike(such as the XCL) and just rip. Plus, since you race DH, an XCL could always serve as a 4x bike, unless you already have that base covered.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I'm also a DH racer/rider and I have a different view. For me, If I wanna rip on a DH style bike, I'll just lug my DH bike to the top. But, to me, its really fun to jump on an light, agressive style XC bike(such as the XCL) and just rip. Plus, since you race DH, an XCL could always serve as a 4x bike, unless you already have that base covered.
    So you're saying he should get both?
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I ride an XCL but you seem more of an EVO dude I say if you got the legs and the lungs go for the EVO.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

well put!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    I like that.

I agree, I think he nailed it!

Is this thing on?
    I've been riding an EVO for about a year now and think I'd like to try the XCL. The EVO can be a little bit of a handful on longer technical climbs. Don't get me wrong...I love the EVO and haven't thrown anything at it that it won't take, but I just think I might have a little more fun on the climbs w/ the XCL. I'd love to swap my 36 and all my chi-chi parts off of my EVO onto an XCL and give it a rip on our local trails.
    [[/B][/FONT]

nerfherder
    Climbing is always going to suck. Might as well enjoy the ride down. =)

yarrrp
    May 2007
    yes and yarrr!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0