Chumba EVO for a Clyde? Couple of ?'s- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

Chumba EVO for a Clyde? Couple of ?'s

I weigh in at a healthy 240 lbs at 6'0 tall. (working on bringing it to 190 )

I have a couple of ?'s

First off, with an inseam of 32 which would probably fit me the best? The S/M or the M/L?

What fork would work best for a heavy rider? Fox Talas/Marz? Would I need to change the springs in the fork?

Which weight spring should I go with on the rear FOX DHX Coil?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get mine built up!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Hey Cam

I'm 6ft and 210lbs and inseam of 33. I ride a M/L and it fits me like a glove, plus the seat tube angle it's adjustability is very high by moving the seat back and forth. I like my seat a little forward....well almost all the way forward.

I highly recommend a fork with 20mm axle, the 2007 Rockshox Lyric or Marz AM1 or SL have QR 20mm if you are into QR like me. I felt the RS Lyric and it felt really nice. 07 fox 36 talas is quite awesome also but no QR(if that matters to you) and I haven't had a chance to test that out.

Make sure you get a adjustable travel fork unless you don't plan on climbing anything steep and long. You need to drop at least 2 inches to climb steep stuff with length. Most travel adjustable forks are air sprung so no need to change out spring even when you reach your goal of 190lb, something I have not been able to do so far.

I think 06 models does not offer enough selections in terms of 6 inch fork with 20mm and adjustable travel, 07 is looking a whole lot better but price is steep since they are so new. The 07 Lyric is only fork so far I felt that even came close to matching the travel quality of the rear. I tried Marz coil fork and that felt harsh compare to the rear which is air sprung. Yes, the EVO's rear end is that plush!

The rear shock ratio is 3:1 so I think a 700lbs spring would be good starting point but that's just a guess. I would sag 1/3 of travel and a little more is ok if you setup the bottom out.

Great choice on the frame, you'll love it for sure.
    Last edited by duke777; 09-08-2006 at 10:51 PM.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Sep 2004
    im really getting exited about this evo,i ride an epic and an enduro pro both 03's and im ready for a new bike that can do itall...the year is almost over does anybody have any news to what chumba will do as for the 07 evo? will they have one for 07? trying to save up for a new build and might not make it for 06 anybody know how much stock chumba keeps since they are small co.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdy lopez
    im really getting exited about this evo,i ride an epic and an enduro pro both 03's and im ready for a new bike that can do itall...the year is almost over does anybody have any news to what chumba will do as for the 07 evo? will they have one for 07? trying to save up for a new build and might not make it for 06 anybody know how much stock chumba keeps since they are small co.

07 would be a great year for a EVO build because of WAY BETTER fork and component selections. There will be an EVO for 07 but not sure about if there will be some changes.

They might lower the BB a little because of AC height of a lot of 6 inch forks.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Jun 2006
    Thanks for the reply Duke. I'll definitely get the M/L. I don't have the need for a QR front axle, with that in mind do you think the Fox would be the better fork? I have heard great reviews on it and Chumba seems to rec. that fork as well.

What length stem have you found to work best for you?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cam2Xrunner
    Thanks for the reply Duke. I'll definitely get the M/L. I don't have the need for a QR front axle, with that in mind do you think the Fox would be the better fork? I have heard great reviews on it and Chumba seems to rec. that fork as well.

What length stem have you found to work best for you?
    Chumba also use the 36 on their complete buid kits and everyone seem to really like it. Hate to tell you this but 06 forks are just not really up to par to really balance and mate well with the EVO IMHO, I can't think of a really good 06 fork I would highly recommend beside the 36 Talas but the 06 has that really anoying travel adjustment. Plus 07 36 gets 10 more mm. So which one I recommend? From 06 forks I would go with 36 Talas. 07....not sure yet but it's going to be close with the battle of the giants. The 07 RS Lyric is pretty awesome so will be the new 07 Mars AM series. Lots of great stuff for 07.

Check out this deal: http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1925537

Free 36 Vanilla R with purchase of a EVO frame, maybe you can talk to them and pay a little extra for the 07 Talas.

Right now I'm running 100mm stem and it seems to be working well for me. Stem length and seat positions are very personal so I hope you have a couple of different old stems around to get it dialed in. 90mm-100mm and 5 degree rise would be a good place to start.

Members who have read this thread: 0