chumba DSS or DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. chumba DSS or DS

Anyone have any pictures of there DSS or DS
    anyone seen any for sale used
    I seen a DS hardtail for sale a while back in the north shore bike swap shop
    i should have picked it up ... i guess it was shaums old one

I rode the DSS at interbike 03 .. i also gave shaums and JS Dss a rip loved the bike would love to find a used one and build it up
    I guess Chumba still makes them special order but im sure its some pretty good cake to buy one new

worst move ever selling my chumba f4 cause i got a sick deal on a new Norco team dh 2007

mtbr member
    Would they happen to look like these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Locs on Spokez
    Damn, I have wanted a DSS for years, they look so amazing.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Apr 2007
    Maybe its time to make those again.

nerfherder
    There's a DSS in the classifieds (not mine!).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ya i just finished building up my cove hustler into a mtn cross bike ... but ya i seen that DSS and it looks like such a sweet deal .. i just don't have the cash after building up a bike
    i found a DS hardtail frame .. the paint is a bit beat but its only $150 .. might be my next budget project new paint new chumba decals and shes ready to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    There's a DSS in the classifieds (not mine!).

That's my old bike! It still has the cranks and seat post. The guy selling it is a liar though. It is not a team bike. I am hella cheap so I ordered it without paint. And The DT Swiss with single track wheel was hand built by me not by go-ride. That bike has to be beat down by now I took this picture of my bike in 2005. And I sold everything but the fork for $1100 on ebay. So $850 is a huge ripoff. $600 at the most.

Anyways. I miss that bike soooooo bad. It was the most fun bike I ever owned. I suck at jumping and I could actually clear double jumps on it. It rode like a hard tail but when landing it felt like pillows.

mtbr member
    i want the dss to come back again. i'm going to have to talk to Ted about this one.

a.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777
    That's my old bike! It still has the cranks and seat post. The guy selling it is a liar though. It is not a team bike. I am hella cheap so I ordered it without paint. And The DT Swiss with single track wheel was hand built by me not by go-ride. That bike has to be beat down by now I took this picture of my bike in 2005. And I sold everything but the fork for $1100 on ebay. So $850 is a huge ripoff. $600 at the most.

Anyways. I miss that bike soooooo bad. It was the most fun bike I ever owned. I suck at jumping and I could actually clear double jumps on it. It rode like a hard tail but when landing it felt like pillows.

Not to start a flaming war here, but Yes that is your frame and seat post and cranks, NO that is not your rear wheel, it is the hub, but the rear got stepped on in a 4x get together and toasted, so i sent it off to Go-Ride for a rebuild.

As for being beat down, far from it. The BB and guide are new, it got all new hardware when i got it, and the frame has been hanging in my garage since the end of the 05 season, when i stopped racing 4x and DS, it was used in 4 races total since you sold it, and 2 times at the BMX track

As for the team info that came from Chumba when i asked why the frame was different from the previous versions, that what they called it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    as far as i was told the "team" bikes did not have the extra machined pieces that filled in the front triangle. love to hear what chumba has to say about it.

anyhow, i love both my dss and my f4. such sick bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here's mine I'm trying to build up

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1728872

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    man that blue paintjo looks great!

i'll post some pics of mine eventually here, just to try and make chumba ressurect a classic.

NWchumba
    that blue is beautiful

alan wouldn't it make for a little more race specific ds bike than the xcl? basically i'm saying i've never ridden one but i want one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    man that blue paintjo looks great!

i'll post some pics of mine eventually here, just to try and make chumba ressurect a classic.
    Thanks, I'd like to see how you spec'd yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beansworks
    Thanks, I'd like to see how you spec'd yours.
    here ya go. sorta bad pic in the garage last night, my camera was acting up.

anyhow, switching to an argyle and an rp23 (i want to be able to dial up the compression valving for DJ'ing), and putting a 6" rotor on the front as well.

otherwise, i am super stoked on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    here ya go. sorta bad pic in the garage last night, my camera was acting up.

anyhow, switching to an argyle and an rp23 (i want to be able to dial up the compression valving for DJ'ing), and putting a 6" rotor on the front as well.

otherwise, i am super stoked on it.
    Looks awesome man!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    oh, and when spec;ing it out, food for thought that you need to put a pretty low tire on the back. i was hoping to run a 2.4 holy roller, but there is nowhere near enough clearance. i have that 2.1 small block 8 on there now, which is nice, but that is literally the biggest thing that will fit. i may switch it out for a 2.1 advantage eventually as well.

anyhow, post pics once yours is running. that blue paint job is rediculous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    i want the dss to come back again. i'm going to have to talk to Ted about this one.

a.
    if you can get it to come back, I would love to see the travel bumped up to 4", and rear tire clearance for up to a 2.4 tire. I hadn't heard of the DSS before about 10 minutes ago, but the design looks so cool that I now *really* want one. of course, another version able to fit a 7.5X2 shock stood up a bit more ((think like a dirtbike), with say 4.5 to 5.5" of adjustable travel and a side of beef would be great for the AM/FR guys out there who like the design of the DSS and the current DH frames (one solid CNC'd swingarm with a floating brake setup) who want a brand spankin new bike (ruling out a DSS) who can't decide if they want 4.5 of 5.5 inches of travel (ruling out the DSS and the DH frames). it might fill the same niche as another bike in your range (short-mid travel AM/FR bike) but then again, SC has multiple bikes filling effectively the same niche (Superlight and the Blur XC, for example). of course, the two bikes SC has with a similar intended usage have completely different suspensions...
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

chumbaDSS
    Mar 2009

zulu dss

hey everyone,
    i have a zulu like the one's posted above and was thinking about changing the rear shock.
    would be looking for something more suited for dj or freeride if possible.
    anyone have any ideas?

Mar 2008
    a RS monarch would be sweet to upgrade to.

Members who have read this thread: 0