Chumba 29er for Sale?- Mtbr.com
    aka baycat

Chumba 29er for Sale?

So what is the deal with this, any history. Since I have only seen Ibike photos of it!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/424968224.html

nerfherder
    Seems shady. And over priced!

aka baycat
    seller also has an xcl and evo for sale.

part of me just wants to steal that SS

nerfherder
    Ok, multiple Chumbas... seems more like a dealer or distributor.

Hah, that SS is only a $100 cheaper than the XCL. BTW, your Craigslist is better than mine in terms of quality bikes listed. I'm jealous.

aka baycat
    We are whorish about our bikes up in the Bay.

Well our Santa Cruz, Spesh, Ellsworths at least.

I really just want to see the story behind this bike, if it is a REAL one.

mtbr member
    Unless you had a woody for a Chumba I'd pass. You could get just about any 29er SS for that price.

mtbr member
    We will have a 29er hardtail coming out soon, that will have geometry to die for, and very competitive pricing. We'll have some prototypes at Interbike.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

aka baycat
    I will be waiting, thanks for the info.

Should be out there for the Demo days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    We will have a 29er hardtail coming out soon, that will have geometry to die for, and very competitive pricing. We'll have some prototypes at Interbike.

Will there be a SS version available also?

Mark

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I guess I don't understand why Chumba would come out with a hardtail 29er at this point. Their strength has been in FS bikes, especially longer travel bikes, and there are a zillion other HT 29ers on the market. The geometry would have to be pretty distinctive to make a dent in the market!

Not criticizing, just wondering.

nerfherder
    Maybe they feel like they need to nail the HT first before they design and build a FS? I don't know. Just speculating. I agree, though. I'd love to see a 29er XCL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yeah Shady indeed

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Seems shady. And over priced!
    Hey thanks for getting my back guys. (Totally meant in jest).
    The truth about these bikes since I'm the guy who owns them, is I was supposed to be the Nor Cal rep, since day one I've had nothing but trouble with all the bike except the singlespeed and the bike I lent to Francis for the XCL review. The bikes were not put together correctly and when i asked for the replacements parts i was sent the wrong used swingarm all covered in dirt when i recieved it. I can't even ride this bike, a decked out Evo because they just don't care to correct this issue. I was stood up in Anaheim after showing up at the factory to pick up said part. Gentlemen Concord CA is quite a ways from Anaheim. I've waisted too much of my time trying to keep these bikes together. I've waisted the rides of at least 4 people who has major difficulties with these bikes.
    Now keep in mind I paid $10,000.00 Cash for the demo fleet i have. I haven't even recieved a call from the Chumba Guys in about a month and a half. I've got the feeling that they have my money and that's all that matters. Sucks to be me of course! After what was written here about me being shady and no mention of me by the Chumba guys speaks volumes. If Chumba want to buy them back for what i paid cool, if not they're for sale for about what i paid. Mind you Talking trash on a forum takes little balls, no one has called me to ask about this. Do the right thing Chumba!!
    Travler Garvey 925-595-0726
    Oh yeah besides the 3 bikes you've seen in the craisglist ads i have 2 others, Shady huh?

nerfherder
    Thanks for not reading my second post, effectively a retraction of the hasty "shady" remark and (I must say) a decent guess at what the real situation was. Beyond that I'm surprised by the things you're saying here. I think most on the board who have experience with Chumba will say they are stand up guys and responsive to customers.

Sounds like you've got a business dispute with Chumba. You should resolve that with them privately instead of airing it out here on the forums. That, I think, would be the more tactful way of doing business.

Oh, and I stand by my "overpriced" comment. No trash talk intended. Just my opinion.

aka baycat
    So you have had noted troubles with the XCL and EVO bike and you are still selling them for said price! Hopefully up front with all the sellers in the bay about that, and the bikes are working now.

Nice to see the SS.

Rode the XCL @ Waterdog demo months back, fun bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for not reading my second post, effectively a retraction of the hasty "shady" remark and (I must say) a decent guess at what the real situation was. Beyond that I'm surprised by the things you're saying here. I think most on the board who have experience with Chumba will say they are stand up guys and responsive to customers.

Sounds like you've got a business dispute with Chumba. You should resolve that with them privately instead of airing it out here on the forums. That, I think, would be the more tactful way of doing business.

Oh, and I stand by my "overpriced" comment. No trash talk intended. Just my opinion.
    Please note that I didn't say anything here until i was called shady, I was trying to sell them quietly. Alan and the gang had plenty of opportunity to say to you that i was not a shady person pulling some shady stunt but they chose to ignore it and let you speculate.
    That's about par with what i've experienced so far. Just my take that's all. The XCL i've had problems with is the grey one that has been fixed by a local mechanic, and the other Evo is just a waste of a frame now, I might just strip the frame and use the parts. I haven't posted that one for sale yet. That Evo was purchased new on 8/2/2007 and went on one ride and literally fell apart. The poor guy spent 4 hours trying to get down the hill in Downieville, the wrong used swingarm was sent to me and the bike hasn't been ridden since. I'll pack it up and ship it to them and see what they say.
    The price on the original ads were fixed due to my assistant inputing my ads for me. Francis still has my small XCL that is also for sale.
    No drama intended, if trying to sell these without creating a scene is shady well call me shady.
    Travler Garvey

nerfherder
    Fair enough. Apologies for the "shady" remark. Unfounded and totally based on my caveat emptor internet shopping mentality. When you sell your wares on line the burden is on the seller to prove yourself reliable and not out to scam someone.

That said, you could have used this as an opportunity to politely correct the misinformation and put up new pricing or answer questions. This thread has had 407 unique views. That's 400 or so potential buyers who are probably now turned off on the this whole thing.

I hope Chumba takes care of this situation and everyone's happy. They're probably packing for Interbike so there's a chance they may not be able to address this until after.

Edited for typos and bad grammerz [sic].
    Last edited by scruffylooking; 09-24-2007 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Fair enough. Apologies for the "shady" remark. Unfounded and totally based on my caveat emptor internet shopping mentality. When you sell your wares on line the burden is on the seller to prove yourself reliable and not out to scam someone.

That said, you could have used this as an opportunity to politely correct the misinformation and put up new pricing or answer questions. This thread has had 407 unique views. That's 400 or so potential buyers who are probably now probably turned off on the this whole thing.

I hope Chumba takes care of this situation and everyone's happy. They're probably packing for Interbike so they're a chance they may not be able to address this until after.
    I'll just continue to post my bikes for sale. The guys at Chumba are nice and i would never tell anyone not to buy one, so i hope this doesn't keep someone from making thier own decisions. Just read the reviews. For the record i will sell these for what i paid.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    So you have had noted troubles with the XCL and EVO bike and you are still selling them for said price! Hopefully up front with all the sellers in the bay about that, and the bikes are working now.

Nice to see the SS.

Rode the XCL @ Waterdog demo months back, fun bike
    Wow
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

nerfherder

shad... I mean, something's not quite right here.

Okay, so I'm a bit put off by a couple things:

*As baycat mentioned, you had these bikes listed at top dollar, then you say they were defective, then you say they're fixed, next that the pricing was wrong (oops, clerical error by assistant), then the Craig's posts disapear, and now they're relisted for "about what you paid for them"

*In the early posts you call out the guys at Chumba for effectively 'cheating' you then in the last post you say they are nice guys

I usually don't like to engage in internet arguments because they're dumb but there's something not right about this situation and I feel like we're not getting all the facts.

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm friends with one Chumba employee and acquinted with another. So I feel like I know these guys and they operate with a lot of integrity. They're not perfect but they are honest.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jus1gear
    Please note that I didn't say anything here until i was called shady, I was trying to sell them quietly. Alan and the gang had plenty of opportunity to say to you that i was not a shady person pulling some shady stunt but they chose to ignore it and let you speculate.
    That's about par with what i've experienced so far. Just my take that's all. The XCL i've had problems with is the grey one that has been fixed by a local mechanic, and the other Evo is just a waste of a frame now, I might just strip the frame and use the parts. I haven't posted that one for sale yet. That Evo was purchased new on 8/2/2007 and went on one ride and literally fell apart. The poor guy spent 4 hours trying to get down the hill in Downieville, the wrong used swingarm was sent to me and the bike hasn't been ridden since. I'll pack it up and ship it to them and see what they say.
    The price on the original ads were fixed due to my assistant inputing my ads for me. Francis still has my small XCL that is also for sale.
    No drama intended, if trying to sell these without creating a scene is shady well call me shady.
    Travler Garvey
    Wow, I don't even know where to begin. Travler, you asked to have a demo fleet to demo the bikes up in Nor Cal. You had plenty of time to check out all of the bikes. The only problem you ever reported to me was that a pivot bolt had backed out. I sent you another swingarm and bolt. You claim it was the wrong swingarm, there is only one swingarm used for our US made trailbikes, for the XCL and EVO. I have no doubt in my mind it was the right one. Second, you say I ignore you and didn't speak up for you in this post? Do you think I was happy to see that you put up all the bikes for sale on Craigslist after you promised to use them for a demo fleet? To be honest, I was shocked that you would do that. Last, I think this is totally uncalled for to bring all this out in a public forum, if you ever had an issue, you could call me. I heard nothing from you until this incident. I am apologetic to everyone who had to spend time reading about this. Travler, please take any grievances you have with me personally, I will be more than happy to discuss any problems/issues you have.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

aka baycat
    whoops did not mean open a can of worms.

Dogonfr, how ya doing bro!

nerfherder
    Haha, can open, worms everywhere...

Apr 2007

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    whoops did not mean open a can of worms.

Dogonfr, how ya doing bro!
    Still riding!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    i've seen these bike for sale on craigslist.... should i get the small xcl for $1500

Members who have read this thread: 0