Chumba 2008: My F5 and XCL- Mtbr.com
    NWchumba

Chumba 2008: My F5 and XCL

So this began last month when I saw the press release of the new F5 on Pinkbike. I called up Chumba to see what their proform deal was and I go the low-down on their bikes. Half an hour later Alan calls me back and does his whole scha-bang salesman deal and I'm sold. The support was outstanding from the get-go. I told him I was still looking around at other bikes like the V-10 but what I really wanted was to get my grassroots racing resume out to some companies and see what was up. I'd already been accepted by Transition Bikes to ride their Blindside and Double, but I emailed him my resume anyways and his deal was clear. Chumba wanted me. But what they didn't realize was that I wanted Chumba more. A month later and an XCL and F5 arrive on my doorstep. There's no press release for me (probabily because I still paid them haha) but I am as excited as ever to represent Chumba for the 2008 season. Thanks to Alan for your timely and continued support!

So now comes the build up process. I'm going to include the input from the readers of this forum into how these two snazzy machines will be built up. As for the F5:

Boxxer WC or Fox 40 RC2
    MRP G2 chainguide
    X.O drivetrain
    Titanium Spring
    Thompson seatpost
    Sunline widebars, stem and pedals
    Tioga SRL seat
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 x2
    Code brakes (maybe ultimates??)
    Ringle ADD lite wheels (or some CK if they pull through)
    Gravity Lite cranks

XCL:
    Fox Talas RLC or Pike air?
    wheelset? needs to be under 1800g
    juicy carbons or ultimates
    tires?
    thompson post
    sunline pedals
    gravity carbon bars
    thompson or sunline 50mm stem
    Gravity Lite cranks
    MRP or e13 chainguide?
    CK or Sunline headset
    What else?

Throw around ideas, these need to be some light yet durable race bikes, money being the last deciding factor. I'll post photos up as the build comes along.

Peace!

Galen
    Attached Images Attached Images

NWchumba
    haha my face is crazy huge

yarrrp
    May 2007
    Welcome to the team bro! See you at sea otter!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    sweet... I couldn't help but notice that your XCL is ano gray, awesome choice!

As far as wheels, I would recommend getting something built around either Hope ProII or King hubs (DT Swiss is in there also). Custom built is going to be nicer than machine built but of course cash is king. Maybe see what someone like Mike Garcia can do for you (oddsandendos.com) (note that I have not had any wheels built by him because I build my own).

I don't know enough about the other stuff to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Congrat's, sounds similar to how it all worked out for me...

I am on the east coast representing Chumba, Have fun with the builds, I can't wait for the snow to melt here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophy Husband
    Galen

Good to see another Bellingham'ster representin' Chumba Racing! I think I rode with you a few years ago...you used to have a Spec P.2???

Anyway, sweet bikes. Hope to see them on the local stuff soon.

Good choice on not going with the Blindside...I'm regretting my Blindside choice.

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

nerfherder
    Good luck this season Galen. Post pics of the bikes when you have them built!

NWchumba
    yeah geo I think I recall riding with you on some occasion. I had a p.3. You moved to cali right?

Yeah I build my own wheels. The key is getting it for as cheap as possible. I work at a shop but still below cost would help. My dream is full chris king hubs, with black ones on the f5 and the pink ones and a pink headset on the xcl. but which rims?? I am a fan of the MTX but I guess the new 6.1D are more durable than they used to be. If cash is short I'll be getting some ADD lites in white. They're about $230 a wheelset.

the xcl is nice in ano grey. Its growing on me. I did order black but somewhere along the line a grey one ended up in my box. haha. but all is well and now dakotas bikes won't get mixed up.

sea otter is on the list. Not entirely sure if I'll make it yet but we'll see. I went last year and my overall feeling is it was a waste of money. My dollars may be better spent trying to get to colorado for some norbas so I can qualify for US Champs. well see! it sure would be cool to meet up for the rest of the team!

mtbr member
    is it just me or does the XCL frame have a sizeable dent where the front derailleur goes? I saw another ano grey XCL in this forum that had the same dent in the same spot but it was setup 1X9 as far as I could tell (that, or it had a really bulky right brake lever/MC)
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    My 2008 XCL has the same indentation. Factory inspired no doubt!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, the dent on the seat tube is there to clear the E-type front derailleur.

mtbr member
    so the XCL frames come from the factory that way? interesting. you would think it would compromise the strength of that tube, but then again a seat tube doesn't take all that much abuse unless you are a sumo wrestler hucking a road gap while sitting. and then you've got worse problems than the seat tube buckling
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

NWchumba
    I am a sumo wrestler

does a normal front d not fit the diameter of the tube?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure why people put XO and XTR derailuers and shifters on bikes that they generally get torn off every now and then. Why not go with X9?

Members who have read this thread: 0