• 07-08-2014
    aliikane
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    Just been looking at the generic Chinese carbon frames for the heck of it. The Chinese frames made with more advanced features first like internal cabling, 142mm thru axles, and more modern shapes. The big name companies seem to be playing catch up because China is releasing frames with those features first. It should be the other way around.
  • 07-08-2014
    Ray Knight
    5 Attachment(s)
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    They are really nice frames! Just finished my build.
    Attachment 906770

    Attachment 906771

    Attachment 906772

    Attachment 906773

    Attachment 906774
  • 07-08-2014
    capsisking
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    That's a sharp looking frame.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-08-2014
    Ray Knight
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by capsisking View Post
    That's a sharp looking frame.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thanks! It rides really well. Very very stiff frame. No flex on hard load. I went with the 3k weave for strength. Full bike weight is 22# on XL (21") size.
  • 07-08-2014
    capsisking
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    Wow. Mine in the same size is roughly 35lbs.

    (And not carbon)

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-08-2014
    capsisking
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    So you have any shots of the full bike that aren't crazy angles?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-08-2014
    Roadsters
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Just been looking at the generic Chinese carbon frames for the heck of it. The Chinese frames made with more advanced features first like internal cabling, 142mm thru axles, and more modern shapes. The big name companies seem to be playing catch up because China is releasing frames with those features first. It should be the other way around.

    My 2011 Scott 899 and my 1999 Klein Attitude Race both have internal cable routing.

    I think Scott makes the finest and most advanced mountain bike frames out there.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wdes1DM5Y
  • 07-08-2014
    dump
    fwiw: 1991 kleins had internal cable routing
  • 07-08-2014
    Berkley
    I don't consider internal cable routing a feature. It makes it more difficult to replace cables and very frequently seems to make the bikes shift poorly.

    More modern shapes? How many ways can you shape a double triangle hardtail?
  • 07-08-2014
    Ray Knight
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Roadsters View Post
    My 2011 Scott 899 and my 1999 Klein Attitude Race both have internal cable routing.

    I think Scott makes the finest and most advanced mountain bike frames out there.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wdes1DM5Y

    Scott frame are really nice!! Also clearly made in China by the looks of that video. Seems like everything carbon fiber is done in China.
  • 07-08-2014
    Ray Knight
    Chinese carbon hardtail frames have more advanced features.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by capsisking View Post
    So you have any shots of the full bike that aren't crazy angles?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I'll take some outside. Thats all i had on my phone.
  • 07-09-2014
    PeopleForScience
    That scott video is neat. Its not really that different that 99% of all the carbon manufacturing that is done in taiwan, china, and vietnam. Most of the companies use the same factories, Giant is really the only company that owns their own factory, A couple of factories actually own part or most of some brands.
  • 07-09-2014
    Drew Diller
    That Scott video is pretentious. I am working on carbon molding, it is not as bleeding edge tech / NASA space program type sh!t as the video makes it out to be.

    I like how the compression "further optimizes the layup of the fibers". That's bullsh!t. Plies will move around under compression, in spite of prepreg being very self adhesive. The reason a near-finished-volume inflation bladder is used is to minimize this wandering of plies - less but not eliminated freedom of movement for each ply.

    Anyway - your notion of who is playing catch up to who cannot be so tersely summarized so as to be believable.
  • 07-10-2014
    aliikane
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I don't consider internal cable routing a feature. It makes it more difficult to replace cables and very frequently seems to make the bikes shift poorly.

    More modern shapes? How many ways can you shape a double triangle hardtail?

    It is the style of the frame. They have subtle details on head tubes, different shapes of top tubes, down tubes, etc instead of just round. Makes frames look really nice. Niner has some good looking frames but Air9 is still using 9mm QR for rear.

    I like internal cable routing. No rub, cleaner look, bike is quieter. It depends on the manufacture whether the internal cabling is good. More direct routing and full length housing is better for shifting.
  • 10-02-2014
    brownc9
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Just been looking at the generic Chinese carbon frames for the heck of it. The Chinese frames made with more advanced features first like internal cabling, 142mm thru axles, and more modern shapes. The big name companies seem to be playing catch up because China is releasing frames with those features first. It should be the other way around.

    Do you have a linkup where you ordered your frame from?