Chain Guide for the EVO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chain Guide for the EVO

It has the ISCG mount for them, but I haven't seen anyone using it in the reviews. Alan had suggested the E-13 system, but I think I recall he said that he hadn't done it himself. Is anyone running a chain guide on their EVO and if so, which one?

I figured that it might be a little hard to set up with the E-type derailleur.
    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC347937

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    It has the ISCG mount for them, but I haven't seen anyone using it in the reviews. Alan had suggested the E-13 system, but I think I recall he said that he hadn't done it himself. Is anyone running a chain guide on their EVO and if so, which one?

I figured that it might be a little hard to set up with the E-type derailleur.
    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC347937
    ISCG E-13 guide works great on an EVO

mtbr member
    So it allows you to run a dual chainring setup? Some guides are for singles only.
    Any advice with the FD setup and this chain guide...ie spacers?
    Thanks!
    Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

E-Thirteen DRS

I spoke with Allen about chainguides for the Evo and he suggested an E-Thirteen DRS and said he can order one for us at a very competitive price. There are several different versions of the DRS so ask him which one is best for your Evo. My Evo is a 2007 and does not have the ISCG mounts. I can still use a DRS with the E-Type backing plate but I modified a MRP LRP and it has been working great. Another inexpensive option which is essentially the same as my LRP is a Blackspire Stinger. Blackspire makes a stinger that attaches to the bottom bracket or to an ISCG mount and they are really inexpensive. I believe they are about $25 from universalcycles.com. Check them out!

mtbr member
    Maybe I'll have to give him a call then. I keep seeing "E-type" upgrades for that model, so I guess that is why I am confused. Do I need the ISCG mounts or the E-type ones? What was the difference in running one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Difference of running a chainguide

The difference is that I have never dropped a chain and it limits how much movement from bouncing around the rear derailure has.

mtbr member
    Ahh, well that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i had a mrp system 3 chain guide on my evo6.it worked mint, never droped a chain.

mtbr member
    So then why did you switch? Was the first one only for a single ring set-up?

mtbr member
    Does putting a chain ring on alter the chain line at all? I still need to figure out the amount of spacers to align the crankset to the FD. As it is now, the crankset still needs to go out further.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Hey Scott,
    Seems like a little bit of conflicting info going on here...

Which model year is your Chumba? The newer version of the EVO uses an integrated e-type mount on the frame, AND ISCG-05 tabs on the frame. (It never hurts to double check, here are the MEASUREMENTS

If you had the new version of the EVO, you can simply use the FD mounted to the e-type tabs on the frame, and a normal 2-ring guide (DS,DSS,DRS in ISCG-OLD/BB mount). I'm assuming that you have this version, so you should be able to use any Bottom Bracket mount dual ring guide. If you have a bashguard already, you can go with the DS in BB mount.

Chainline is a measurement from the center of your bottom bracket to your middle chainring. Most external bearing cranksets use a 50mm chainline. Your chainline should remain fixed, while the backplate simply is spaced around this. Your crankset should have a required spacer setup for your BB shell width (73mm?). For more reading: https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=28 The article gets rather involved, but essentially all bikes with external bearing cranks and 135mm rear hubs use a 50mm chainline.

With our Dual Ring guides, we've made our backplates to 2.5mm thick (or 1.5mm with a 1mm spacer for the DS). This essentially replaces your 2.5mm spacer on the driveside of your bottom bracket setup, making things nice and easy.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen

*Edited...ISCG-05 tabs*
    Last edited by philw86; 09-14-2009 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Philip! I am thinking that the DRS should be the money. I am still having some spacing issues that I need to work out, but I think that is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Hey Scott,
    Seems like a little bit of conflicting info going on here...

Which model year is your Chumba? The newer version of the EVO uses an integrated e-type mount on the frame, AND ISCG tabs on the frame. (They look like ISCG-OLD, but if you wanted to double check, here are the MEASUREMENTS

If you had the new version of the EVO, you can simply use the FD mounted to the e-type tabs on the frame, and a normal 2-ring guide (DS,DSS,DRS in ISCG-OLD/BB mount). I'm assuming that you have this version, so you should be able to use any Bottom Bracket mount dual ring guide. If you have a bashguard already, you can go with the DS in BB mount.

Chainline is a measurement from the center of your bottom bracket to your middle chainring. Most external bearing cranksets use a 50mm chainline. Your chainline should remain fixed, while the backplate simply is spaced around this. Your crankset should have a required spacer setup for your BB shell width (73mm?). For more reading: https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=28 The article gets rather involved, but essentially all bikes with external bearing cranks and 135mm rear hubs use a 50mm chainline.

With our Dual Ring guides, we've made our backplates to 2.5mm thick (or 1.5mm with a 1mm spacer for the DS). This essentially replaces your 2.5mm spacer on the driveside of your bottom bracket setup, making things nice and easy.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen
    Hey Philip,

Thanks for helping out. You are right - the newer EVOs use a E-type front derailleur mount that does not need to use the lower bracket of the front derailleur - but also uses ISCG 05 tabs. Just re-reading your post - did you mean to type "older" on the second paragraph.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Hey Philip,

Thanks for helping out. You are right - the newer EVOs use a E-type front derailleur mount that does not need to use the lower bracket of the front derailleur - but also uses ISCG 05 tabs. Just re-reading your post - did you mean to type "older" on the second paragraph.

-A.
    Edited it, thanks for the confirmation Alan!

-philip

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Edited it, thanks for the confirmation Alan!

-philip
    No problem - good to see you helping out with tech questions - much appreciated!

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0