Can your trailbike do this?- Mtbr.com
    nerfherder

Good job! Can your trailbike do this?

This image just showed up on the Chumba homepage. Juxtapose this with the XCL as an endurance bike thread and you've got a seriously versatile bike. Pretty much makes you realize that most of us are getting only a fraction of the performance out of our bikes... and we're the limiting factor! At least I am. I can barely jump off a curb.

Sick.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Pretty much makes you realize that most of us are getting only a fraction of the performance out of our bikes... and we're the limiting factor! At least I am. I can barely jump off a curb.
    Dude! I just graduated from jumping curbs only last week. At this rate I'll be jumping like the guy in that ad when I'm 96.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    Dude! I just graduated from jumping curbs only last week. At this rate I'll be jumping like the guy in that ad when I'm 96.
    Me and you both, brother!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I can jump like that guy, but the landings are another story!

Trophy Husband
    Great ad.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I wonder how the frame will hold up to repeated 30' gaps. Most 5" bikes are not made to do that. All depends on a rider's smoothness too...sponsored riders are pretty smooth you know!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I was wondering the same thing about repeated "abuse" like that as the XCL is one of the frames I'm considering. It wouldn't see that type of riding every day, but there would be a few trips each year when the bike would see some sizeable gaps and some fairly nasty terrain. I know the EVO would be the logical choice for abusive riding, but I prefer the geometry of the XCL and I think it's just a better looking bike than the EVO.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Really I think it comes down to two things if you are pushing it like that:
    1. Will the failure be catastrophic
    2. Will they replace the frame at no charge and no hassle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I remember a few years ago many riders were using the 5" SC Heckler as a do everything bike, including road gaps. The Heckler held up quite well and I don't see why the XCL wouldn't either, considering the burliness of the frame.

Nice transitions and smoothness have a lot to do with a frames longevity as well.

Peace & Love
    big deal....ANY bike can do that. Its how they handle the landing that is different

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    That frame would break in no time doing that in any sort of regularity.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I wonder how the frame will hold up to repeated 30' gaps. Most 5" bikes are not made to do that. All depends on a rider's smoothness too...sponsored riders are pretty smooth you know!
    Dakota probably did 20-30 sizeable jumps that day - uses the same frame for 4X racing - and freerides it every week. Of course any frame is subject to failure after repeated abuse - we're just pointing out that the XCL is much burlier/aggressive bike than your standard 5 inch travel bike that still weighs in the 6lb. range.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 01-31-2008 at 07:49 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    That frame would break in no time doing that in any sort of regularity.
    Actually, we have been doing that regularly on the XCL - although I will qualify by saying this is not something we are recommending to do.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 01-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Well there ya go folkes, straight from the manufacturer. SO go right ahead and buy one of those frames and (abuse) ride the crap out of it and when it breaks and they don't want to give you a new one, point them to this thread and their own words.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Dakota probably did 20-30 sizeable jumps that day - uses the same frame for 4X racing - and freerides it every week. Of course any frame is subject to failure after repeated abuse - we're just pointing out that the XCL is much burlier/aggressive bike than your standard 5 inch travel bike that still weighs in the 6lb. range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well there ya go folkes, straight from the manufacturer. SO go right ahead and buy one of those frames and (abuse) ride the crap out of it and when it breaks and they don't want to give you a new one, point them to this thread and their own words.
    uhh...not quite. We do have people using the frames for occassional freeride and for 4x, and if there is a failure we do honor the warranty - but any intentional or unreasonable abuse of the frame is obviously something we don't condone. But yes, we do encourage our customers to "ride the crap" out of their bikes. : )

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I remember a few years ago many riders were using the 5" SC Heckler as a do everything bike, including road gaps. The Heckler held up quite well and I don't see why the XCL wouldn't either, considering the burliness of the frame.

Nice transitions and smoothness have a lot to do with a frames longevity as well.
    Exactly. A smooth transition coupled with a skilled rider will reduce the amount of stress put on the frame.

No, that's not phonetic
    this is not something we are recommending to do.
    Maybe I'm not the target audience of the ad, but I am wondering how that pic with the tag line "can your trailbike do this?" is not implying that you recommend that particular use of the XCL?

I think you should post a pic of someone going as big as you recommend Scruffylooking go on that frame.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Maybe I'm not the target audience of the ad, but I am wondering how that pic with the tag line "can your trailbike do this?" is not implying that you recommend that particular use of the XCL?
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

mtbr member

I think you should post a pic of someone going as big as you recommend Scruffylooking go on that frame.
    What we were implying is that the XCL is a freeride capable bike - but obviously within limits as it was designed primarily as a trail bike - if you really want to go big often - we have the EVO for that.

Peace & Love
    Actually, we have been doing that regularly on the XCL - although I will qualify by saying this is not something we are recommending to do.
    Im must glad there are still some "real" 5/6 inch bikes like yours still being made with owners not caving to lame marketing pressures to make em light as possible cuz that is what the ex-roadie yuppies want (wont mention the other manufacturers i am speaking of who are caving to aforementioned marketing pressures)

and i woudl recommend that use...hell, you aint gonna have many folks riding like that anyway so the increased cost (warranty) benefit (advertising as a manly bike) favors the benefit side of the equation i'll bet

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Im must glad there are still some "real" 5/6 inch bikes like yours still being made with owners not caving to lame marketing pressures to make em light as possible cuz that is what the ex-roadie yuppies want (wont mention the other manufacturers i am speaking of who are caving to aforementioned marketing pressures)

and i woudl recommend that use...hell, you aint gonna have many folks riding like that anyway so the increased cost (warranty) benefit (advertising as a manly bike) favors the benefit side of the equation i'll bet
    True.

Trophy Husband

I agree with Fo.

What I get out of the ad is, Chumba is confident in the quality of their frames.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I agree with Fo.

What I get out of the ad is, Chumba is confident in the quality of their frames.
    well put (somebody else must have typed that for you)....

while i have never had the pleasure to ride a Chumba (yet), it nevertheless resides on my VERY short list of bikes and that ad places it perhaps one notch higher now

nerfherder
    Cheese, that'd take some serious photog skills cause I'm only in the air for like 0.0000023421 seconds.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Well according to that Ad and your campaign, if I were a new buyer looking I'd think "WOW a FR bike around 31lbs, great and then ride it like that constantly." Because that is what you're marketing and who's to say I abused the bike,, didn't do it to smooth transitions and have the skillz necessary to pull it off like your pro rider This WILL open you up to a whole can of worms and it'll be your fault, if you don't honor the warranties you could be sued for false advertising.

uhh...not quite. We do have people using the frames for occassional freeride and for 4x, and if there is a failure we do honor the warranty - but any intentional or unreasonable abuse of the frame is obviously something we don't condone. But yes, we do encourage our customers to "ride the crap" out of their bikes. : )
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Surfing trails
    Cheese, that'd take some serious photog skills cause I'm only in the air for like 0.0000023421 seconds.
    Lol, Scruffy and I are in the same boat. My jumping only consists of the accidental bunny-hop.

Peace & Love
    Well according to that Ad and your campaign, if I were a new buyer looking I'd think "WOW a FR bike around 31lbs, great and then ride it like that constantly." Because that is what you're marketing and who's to say I abused the bike,, didn't do it to smooth transitions and have the skillz necessary to pull it off like your pro rider This WILL open you up to a whole can of worms and it'll be your fault, if you don't honor the warranties you could be sued for false advertising.
    blah blah blah....go to the 29er forum where people worry about such things

nerfherder
    LOL

Fo, if you ever find your way down to Orange County we should go visit the Chumba HQ. I'm hoping to head over there this afternoon to bug Chumbaevo and give him a hard time for making a sturdy yet reasonably weighted trailbike that does endurance races and hucks.

Peace & Love
    LOL

Fo, if you ever find your way down to Orange County we should go visit the Chumba HQ. I'm hoping to head over there this afternoon to bug Chumbaevo and give him a hard time for making a sturdy yet reasonably weighted trailbike that does endurance races and hucks.
    you bet....planning on a ventana visit this summer too but a chumba field trip would be great

I'm living the dream!
    I say buy one and test your theory.

nerfherder
    but a chumba field trip would be great
    And closer!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevegal
    My jumping only consists of the accidental bunny-hop.
    Those scare the crap out of me!

No, that's not phonetic
    the XCL is a freeride capable bike
    The Ibis Moho apparently does DH.

And the Turner Highline does XC.

I'm so confused.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    The Ibis Moho apparently does DH.

I'm so confused.

30 feet gaps on an all carbon XC bike; and XC races on a 11lb. frame that builds up around 35-40lbs -- even if it was true -- you'd still be better off with a XCL.

A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 02-01-2008 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    AND why would I do that I ride a perfectly good 29er now, why should I go back to a 26" wheeled bike that doesn't suit my riding style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    I say buy one and test your theory.
    If I should go back there because I ride a 29er then where does someone like you who doesn't ride go

mtbr member

AND why would I do that I ride a perfectly good 29er now, why should I go back to a 26" wheeled bike that doesn't suit my riding style

If I should go back there because I ride a 29er then where does someone like you who doesn't ride go
    I think what Fo was saying is that some people might rather not have you in this forum.

Peace & Love
    I think what Fo was saying is that some people might rather not have you in this forum.
    so long as tscheezy participates, there is really nobody else needed , self included

Peace & Love
    silly tscheezy, ONLY if its an XL

Bodhisattva
    This image just showed up on the Chumba homepage. Juxtapose this with the XCL as an endurance bike thread and you've got a seriously versatile bike. Pretty much makes you realize that most of us are getting only a fraction of the performance out of our bikes... and we're the limiting factor! At least I am. I can barely jump off a curb.

Sick.
    I just finished 4 months of rehabbing from surgery to repair a repeatedly dislocating shoulder and my shoulder just re-dislocated from looking at that gap

The boyz got skillz

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I just finished 4 months of rehabbing from surgery to repair a repeatedly dislocating shoulder and my shoulder just re-dislocated from looking at that gap

The boyz got skillz
    Haha. Sorry Squeek! I didn't mean to re-injure you!

I'm living the dream!
    Well then, I guess there's not much sense in you trolling here then... is there?

Peace & Love

The boyz got skillz
    dude, its your own fault dumbazz. I told u to see a chiropractor in which case u would not have needed surgery at all.

Trophy Husband
    dude, its your own fault dumbazz. I told u to see a chiropractor in which case u would not have needed surgery at all.
    Chiropractors are stupid.

Peace & Love
    Chiropractors are stupid.
    and being stupid is ghey

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

The boyz got skillz
    Is that a picture of Jason (of Chumba)?

And by the way, I rode my bike off a 20 foot cliff at Bootleg Canyon, and it was fine (although my face was not ).

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Is that a picture of Jason (of Chumba)?
    Dakota Dulmage. Teen rider from Orange County. I think he's still in high school.

Peace & Love
    Dakota Dulmage. Teen rider from Orange County. I think he's still in high school.
    i always hated high school

Trophy Husband
    i always hated high school
    Couldn't get laid then either, huh?

Peace & Love
    Couldn't get laid then either, huh?
    still dont get laid.....i am married

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is that the kid that has been out at Fontana for the last few races?

Members who have read this thread: 0