Can you run a 2.25 stroke on XCL?- Mtbr.com
    Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Can you run a 2.25 stroke on XCL?

I was curious, Can you run a 2.25" stroke rear shock on an XCL? Eye 2 eye would remain the same. This would bump up the travel to 5.625 which would almost mirror the 140 mm of front travel on my Pike.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I was curious, Can you run a 2.25" stroke rear shock on an XCL? Eye 2 eye would remain the same. This would bump up the travel to 5.625 which would almost mirror the 140 mm of front travel on my Pike.
    Yes you can. Although, you may buzz the seat tube under hard compression. Depending on your riding style and weight, you may never get the "buzzzz".

I'm not sure how much contact you may get, but from what I understand it is minimal.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Hmmmm, interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Yes you can. Although, you may buzz the seat tube under hard compression. Depending on your riding style and weight, you may never get the "buzzzz".

I'm not sure how much contact you may get, but from what I understand it is minimal.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Maybe I'll borrow a shock, let out all the air and see how hard it touches if at all? I guess I should have done that before asking the question? To me, buzzzzz=potential material being worn away w/each contact=BAD!

nerfherder
    Test it for us!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I asked the same question and this is what Alan from Chumba told me.

If the stroke is a little longer, the rear wheel might skid the back of the seat post if you bottom out harshly - it won't affect the structural integrity of the frame though.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor821
    it won't affect the structural integrity of the frame though.
    Not at first! Do it enough times and I imagine it might.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Not at first! Do it enough times and I imagine it might.
    Especially if your tire has any rock/sand debris trapped between the lugs. I have a couple of backup shocks to try and with the weather looking pretty detrimental to getting a ride in this weekend, I may have to test it out just to see how hard the tire contacts the tube?

Oct 2004
    Keep in mind that "bottom out harshly" is not something that should regularly be done on any suspension bicycle. At bottom out, the loads throught the bike "spike" well above those seen while the suspension is working. If you are bottoming out harshly on a regular basis, you are doing your frame no favors and may wish to consider adjusting either your suspension or your riding style.

"El Whatever"
    Get it and use a 1/8" rubber washer as "safety buffer".
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so, has anyone tried to use 2.25 stroke on XCL?... Im tempted..

mtbr member
    You can - with the caveat that the rear tire might buzz the seat tube when the suspension is fully compressed - Geolover was spot on. I did it with a Marzocchi Roco on my XCL - and it didn't buzz - but I wasn't riding it really hard.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

What was the ROCO eye to eye that you used?

How much of an extra travel it had given?

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Same Eye to eye

Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli
    How much of an extra travel it had given?
    You'll want the same Eye to Eye so you don't screw up your geometry. You should get
    5 5/8" of travel from a 2.25 stroke shock. I still have not tried this yet! I am running a 5th Element coil over and love how it feels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

can you explain the calculation?

How did you get to 5 5/8?
    I was told by the shox manufecturer that diferent frame geometry will give diferent additional in travel and upto an additional inch

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Maybe?

How did you get to 5 5/8?
    I was told by the shox manufecturer that diferent frame geometry will give diferent additional in travel and upto an additional inch
    I used:
    5" divided by 2" = 2.5
    2.5x2.25= 5.625"
    Not sure if this is accurate or not so far as geometry, etc has on actual travel length. Just makes sense to me and believe me, I am no math genius!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

So this would be a question to the Chumba folks

What would be the actual XCL geometry when 2.25" shox is used assuming XCL geometry parameters are taken into considerations?

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

same Eye to Eye=same goemetry

What would be the actual XCL geometry when 2.25" shox is used assuming XCL geometry parameters are taken into considerations?
    As long as the Eye to Eye of the shock is the same as is used on the 2" stroke shock, geometry will not change. Geometry is measured with the shock in the static or unloaded condition. You can get shocks w/ 7.875 long eye to eye w/either a 2" or 2.25" stroke. The stroke is what determines the travel in the bike.

mtbr member
    Could you do this with an EVO as well, dont they run a 2" stroke also?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    You can - with the caveat that the rear tire might buzz the seat tube when the suspension is fully compressed - Geolover was spot on. I did it with a Marzocchi Roco on my XCL - and it didn't buzz - but I wasn't riding it really hard.
    I'd like to add another caveat. My experience with the Roco Air R (like the one Alan used) is that it is difficult (if not impossible) to achieve full travel. I wonder how a different shock would affect tire/frame contact. Before I started rolling around with a shock not spec'd on my bike I would fully compress the shock to test.

Just a FYI.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I thought of Fox Racing RP23

2.25" stroke with the large Air tube (or what ever it is called)

Chumba folk

Is the travel as stated below (5.625" when running from 2" to 2.25" stroke)?

mtbr member

Hmmmmmmmm

I llike this thread, but want someone else to test it. I always thought that you had to get a longer swing link to get more travel. Similar to how some bikes have adjustable travel depending upon where the shock mount is. The stroke length is the same in both positions, but it pushes the swing link further or less for the shocks' travel.

These are also theoretical calculations. I have not actually measured the actual travel of the XCL with the DHX 5.0 Air on my bike, but usually don't bottom it unless I haven't checked the air pressure in a while and ride aggressively. It looses about 15 pounds per month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Any updates on the experiment,been thinking about this set-up too.anybody tryed a roco coil?

mtbr member

pics of 2.25 stroke

Attachment 383221

frame is small...tires are Kenda Nevegals 2.10..shock stroke is all the way down.. shock is rp23 w/2.25

this set up feels pretty good.. tomorrow will be my first real ride.. feels pretty good in the parking lot/ a lot easier to set up compare to the dhx-air..
    Last edited by xc_flip; 08-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    very nice..thank u.looks like u still have pretty good clearance between the wheel and the ss.let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Any idea if Push could lengthen the 2.0 stroke shock to a 2.25 stroke shock? Might be a bit cheaper to do it that way plus you get the benefits of a Pushed shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_flip
    Attachment 383221

frame is small...tires are Kenda Nevegals 2.10..shock stroke is all the way down.. shock is rp23 w/2.25

this set up feels pretty good.. tomorrow will be my first real ride.. feels pretty good in the parking lot/ a lot easier to set up compare to the dhx-air..
    What happened to the pic of tire clearance? When I click the link it tells me it's an Invalid Attachment. I'd appreciate seeing the pic again.

Here's a question I think I know the answer to but would Chumba send an XCL out with a 2.25" stroke RP23 if requested by the customer? If not, the work by PUSH to lengthen the travel, or the purchase of a new shock must be considered and makes the XCL less of a deal. With this shock putting the travel of the XCL around 5.6" it would no longer be on the short-travel end of the AM trailbike range. I would love this setup with a 36 TALAS where you could run it at 130 for general riding and jump to 160 for going down. Then these two travel settings straddle the XCL's 5.6" for (in my opinion) a perfect setup.

I bike long tyme.
    Shoot, I wish I would have noticed this thread before posting in the CCDB thread.
    Here's a clearance pic with a 2.25" Roco and a 2.35" Kenda Kinetics. There's still a little room for additional rubber bumper compression too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008

here is another one

RP23 w/ 2.25 stroke.. tires are kenda nevegals 2.1DSC09263.sm.JPG

mtbr member
    Yea, let me look into it - if you are really serious about purchasing the new frame with that stroke length e-mail me at [email protected] and I will see what I can do.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Yea, let me look into it - if you are really serious about purchasing the new frame with that stroke length e-mail me at [email protected] and I will see what I can do.

-A.
    Hold off on that for a bit. I'm still in the planning phase, not pullin' the trigger yet. Super cool of you to offer...is that level of personal service typical with Chumba? I like it. XCL is top of the list now. Or...well...let me think...I guess it is THE list: Horst link, anno paint, polished stays (no chipped paint, thank you very much), approx. 5.5" travel, able to run a 36. Wanting to combine my Quasi-Moto and Moto-Lite into one bike!

Members who have read this thread: 0