Cabellero vs. El Santo linkage?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Cabellero vs. El Santo linkage?

I'm looking to build up a fast XC racer and 24-hour bike. I'm upgrading from a hardtail racer and this will be my first full suspension bike. Can anyone out comment on the relative merits of the Cabellero linkage vs. the El Santo linkage? I'm not so interested in how much travel it has (as *any* travel will be better than what I have now), I'm mostly interested in lateral stiffness, pedal bob and cornering characteristics.

Thanks in advance!

-koradog1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by koradog1
    I'm looking to build up a fast XC racer and 24-hour bike. I'm upgrading from a hardtail racer and this will be my first full suspension bike. Can anyone out comment on the relative merits of the Cabellero linkage vs. the El Santo linkage? I'm not so interested in how much travel it has (as *any* travel will be better than what I have now), I'm mostly interested in lateral stiffness, pedal bob and cornering characteristics.

Thanks in advance!

-koradog1
    I haven't compared one to the other, but remember reading that the main reason Salsa moved from the Cab style linkage to the El santo linkage is that it allowed them to build the frame down to a 14" size. The way the linkage was set up on the Cab the 16" was the smallest size they could make.

I've got a Cab with the Sid dual air XC shock. It is a very fun bike. Fast, nice geometry for single track. Be careful of sizing, Salsa is known for short top tubes. It is ok for me, but that has been the main critical comment on the frame.

I'm not totally pleased with the Sid shock. There is definitely bob but it is mostly apparent on fire roads and road sections. It's a hard balance to find because I want an active suspenion on technical climbing sections, but then not on the flatter sections. My riding has improved in all areas. Up, down, and singletrack. It is hellof light, being a full scandium frame, and I was able to find the cab frame with the SID on closeout for under $500 which made it a super value

The only negative as been road sections, and sometimes when my legs are really tired the rear suspension seems to bog me down sometimes.

So this type of suspension may benefit much more from a platform style shock like the 5th element or others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

El Santo

Quote Originally Posted by koradog1

Thanks in advance!

-koradog1
    I was torn between both. Salsa is one of my teams sponsors so good deals were available on both. I went with the El Santo because of the Manitou 3-Way. Good reviews
    and I agree. I know bikeman.com has some killer deals on the Cab right now though since it's being phased out. I also did a review a few months ago. Check it out. The Cab is a lighter frame but the ajustability of the El Santo rocks. Go for it!http://www.bikeman.com/partsroom/pro...lsaelsanto.htm
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Jul 2005
    I'm glad you mention the sizing comment. My hardtail is a medium (17.5" or 18" depending on who builds the frame) and it feels pretty good. I rode my buddy's 19" Rocky Mountain ETSX (sort of a El Santo equivalent) last week and felt stretched out on it... like I was understeering all the time so I think I will still be riding a medium. I'm 175 lbs and 5'9" with an average build.

Is it more like a 18" Cab rides like a 16" Cab (and likewise the 20" rides like a 18") or that the 18" rides like a 17" (if there were such a size)?

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    I haven't compared one to the other, but remember reading that the main reason Salsa moved from the Cab style linkage to the El santo linkage is that it allowed them to build the frame down to a 14" size. The way the linkage was set up on the Cab the 16" was the smallest size they could make.

I've got a Cab with the Sid dual air XC shock. It is a very fun bike. Fast, nice geometry for single track. Be careful of sizing, Salsa is known for short top tubes. It is ok for me, but that has been the main critical comment on the frame.