Builders/Pictures of Titanium Hardtails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Builders/Pictures of Titanium Hardtails

Searching for builders of titanium hardtails. What's out there, the good, the bad and the indifferent? What are you riding and why? I've been riding full suspension for two years now but miss that hardtail feel. Got the birthday coming up and a little room in the garage...

mtbr member
    I ride a Dean Colonel x-lite hardtail which I am very pleased with. My dean has very neat welds (I have seen a few ti bikes and I havnt seen any with better welds than mine) and a super stout mono rear chainstay, its also very light. The problem with dean is that they make you wait for your frame, and wait and wait, I didnt have it too bad but you can read about some real horror stories on this forum. I decided to go for dean because I wanted a US custom built frame and they made me the best offer.

Im a fan of smaller independant builders because usually with them each frame is crafted by hand with love and enthusiasm.

I also considered DESALVO, KISH and STRONG. All come with stirling reputations, but after much deliberation it was Dean that got my vote.

If price isnt an issue then take a look at MOOTS , SEVEN, TITUS and INDEPENDANT FABRICATIONS. All come with awesome "cult" reputations but were really too expensive for my pocket.

Make sure that you spend a bit extra and go for a custom build, it makes such a big difference over an off the shelf frame. Also I would recommend getting anything made outside the US (eg Airbourne) or anything made by the american bicycle group (formerly known as Litespeed (RIP) and Merlin).
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 03-07-2006 at 05:49 AM.

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Kish Ti...

Here is a picture of my Kish Ti Single Speed. Kish is a welding instructor at UBI frame building school in Oregon and he just won second place at the Handmade Bicycle Show for titanium frames. Good guy, great bikes, quick build times for custom... my 2 steel bikes were about 6 weeks each, and the ti bike was 5 weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Optimus Prime

Flyte

Check out Flyte1.com if you don't need a custom build. I love my Al hardtail and I saw an Aresti at a race, very nice bike.
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

mtbr member

Strong Ti Hardtail

I went with Carl Strong and got a racing hardtail that I could swap between a suspension fork, Fox F80X and rigid fork, previously a Pace RC31 but now a Strong custom steel fork.

Carl was great to work with both on the frame and later when I got a custom steel fork. The detail on his frames is great, machined head tube and machined out thread in the BB, the Breezer style dropouts with replacable derailler hanger, it's all good. The frame fits me very well and the tube diameters work well with my weight and riding style.

If I was doing it all again, I'd still go with Carl but this time I'd build it around a 100m travel fork. If you know what you need, Carl will work with you to get it right.

mtbr member
    very clean, nice...
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    Here is a picture of my Kish Ti Single Speed. Kish is a welding instructor at UBI frame building school in Oregon and he just won second place at the Handmade Bicycle Show for titanium frames. Good guy, great bikes, quick build times for custom... my 2 steel bikes were about 6 weeks each, and the ti bike was 5 weeks.
    Fantastic frame.. Do you know who won the the other places at the Handmade Bicycle Show, esp. place 1?

Rgrds, Pius

Nov 2005
    My Moots.

I think Moots build one of the best Ti Bikes.

But of course, there are many Ti bikebuilders how make great frames.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmonk
    Searching for builders of titanium hardtails. What's out there, the good, the bad and the indifferent? What are you riding and why? I've been riding full suspension for two years now but miss that hardtail feel. Got the birthday coming up and a little room in the garage...
    I went with a DEAN b/c I've always coveted one since I first rode a buddies years ago. You'll hear a lot of gripping about wait times but if you go full custom geo, like I did, it's worth the wait. I was told 6-8 weeks and it showed up at my door 8 weeks later. I'll more than likely go with another DEAN when I want another custom geo fit. Although, I've always really, really liked the look of the KISH. They make great looking frames.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Is my rear tire flat?

EverTi for me..

Bought my frame almost two years ago. Semi custom build and very lightweight (under 4lbs). 25 year warranty which I had to use when I tore off the rear rear derailleur hanger. www.EverTi.com is a small Canadian frame builder. The frame has a long top tube and short stays which is what I was looking for. Paid around $900.00 US new. I ride this Ti hardtail more than my Blur as it is just such a nice bike to ride all day. Just installed a Moots bar (wonderful) and might buy a ti seatpost at some point.
    Liberty Lake Wa.

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

First place...

First place was a Merlin, with 5k of engraving and etching in the frame. If you look at the list of ti builders that attended that show, you will realize how impressive 2nd place is for a one man show.

mtbr member
    My Dean, take a look at the welds.

Please excuse the yellow cables

Last edited by 20_bandh; 03-11-2006 at 01:47 PM.

29 inches and Pissed Off!

If

Fantastice welds.
    My Piss Off #28 from Phil Wood, fabbed by Independent Fabrication.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member

Not "custom"....

....in the truest sense of the word, but there's only 30 of them in the world (this is no 5), so it sorta counts.

Cotic Soda

4" or 5" forks, sensible angles, long TT, buckets of mud clearance. The perfect UK "do pretty much anything" bike.

Oh, and its an ABSOLUTE HOOT to ride...

mtbr member
    Shame its made in Taiwan

mtbr member
    Shame its made in Taiwan

...your point being???...

All the hardtails I've owned have been made in Taiwan (orange, kona, 2x cotic). None of them have ever given me any problems (which is more than can be said of the 3 expensive american full sus frames I've had)

When Cy first got it into his head to start up Cotic, he approached a bunch of UK framebuilders. None of them were interested in small volume work. He tried (non-bike orientated) fabrication companies. They all went "We'll do it, but only if you buy us all the kit, jigs etc, and sort the training we need up front". Too much for a one man start up.

The taiwanese on the other hand were falling over themselves to do a good, professional job of manufacturing. And for a reasonable price. So why not?

In my view, bikes are for riding, not looking at, so I'm utterly unconcerned by the minute eveness of the welds or having a fancy headtube badge. As soon as I'm off road, its all hidden under a good layer of sludge) I want a frame has been engineered (FEA etc), not just plumbed together by somebody who can wield a TIG welder in an aesthetically pleasing fashion; fantastic geometry; mud clearance; a bit more mud clearance. Weld quality is only important from a structural point of view. Anything more than that is wasted on me, so I don't want to pay for it.

At the end of the day - your money, your vote. I personally see no reason to spend 1500+ on a frame, when a 900 one functions as well if not better.

Ooops. That's quite a rant, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My vote would be for James at Blacksheep. A great guy to work with, who also does some work for the 'big boys' The last pic is my 'winter' build It swallows the Gazzi 3.0s, which when mounted, stand 28" tall. Designed as a 29er. I love this bike.
    Last edited by Helibee; 03-29-2006 at 05:07 AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    DeSalvo

Bodhisattva
    Kent Eriksen. Steamboat, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Nice ride!

Is it a Moots ti riserbar?

Espen

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo1
    My Moots.

I think Moots build one of the best Ti Bikes.

But of course, there are many Ti bikebuilders how make great frames.

Mmmmmm Beer!

Strong!

I couldn't be happier with mine!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Woot! that's hot! kinda look like a retrotec. didn't know Strong does fancy shapes too, guess he's a TRUE custom builder. don't figure seven/if/serotta/merlin's 'custom' program will offer this huh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A vote for DeSalvo...

Should have this in my mits this week.

Members who have read this thread: 1