Is this bike worth the money?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2008

Is this bike worth the money?

I'm in the process of looking for a cheap road bike, and one of my buddies has one he's trying to get rid of. This is what he said about the bike....

I just picked up a super nice old road bike. It is a steel frame but reallylight. (Ross Professional). It has some really nice/high end components on it for it's age. Dia Comp brakes, Shimano shifters and gears. It has some italian 27 inch rims with quick releases on it. It is going to need a new tube, seat, cables, and chain but short of that, It is an awesome fixer upper. Really pretty bike. I am thinking about stripping it all the way down and putting a killer custom paint job on it. When I get done with it, I am going to be asking about $200.00 for it. If you want it as is, I could let it go for $75.00.

Is it worth the $75, or should I just pass it by? I tried looking up information on Ross bikes, and there really isn't too much on them. Thanks for all the help!

local trails rider
    Have you seen the bike?
    Does it fit you?
    Do you like it?

If you find a bike that fits you, works, and you also like it, $75 is like getting it for free.
    If you don't like it, look for something else.

Mar 2008
    thanks for the advice... I'm going to go and check it out sometime next week. The guy said that it needs a new paint job, and I was wondering if this is something that I can do myself, or if people mainly send the frames off to be painted. Thanks!

local trails rider
    I am no painter but I know that doing a good paint job needs care, good preparation, right materials, and some skill or practice.

Anyone can cover a frame with paint from a spray can but sometimes the result is not pretty (which might be good if you are trying to keep bike thieves away...)

Mar 2008
    haha yeah, I'll be using it as a commuter to school. I could try and paint it a cool cammo pattern. lol

nuj
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mabuhay to all, i'm jun and new to this forum. i would like to share my mosso mountain bike dual suspension. i'm having problem looking for the website of mosso and i was wondering if someone here ever tried using a frame like mine. all components are shimano deore lx, kore carbon fiber handle bar, shimano hydraulic brakes, wellgo pedals, fox rc float rear shock, sr suntour xcr w/ remote lockout front fork, velo sadle, and toppeak front fender here's the pics, enjoy

Members who have read this thread: 0