Bash guard thoughts...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bash guard thoughts...

So, I never use the big chain ring except to use as a bash guard with logs and related on the trails we have here. Problem is that it doesn't hold up well!

In any case, was thinking of getting a guard that replaces that outter ring and I can keep the middle and granny as we have a serious climb at one of the trails I run that it is useful.

I was looking at Gamut or E.Thirteen. Any set-up suggestions as to which is best and what is useful? Saw some have tensioners and not sure with the crank and the two rings that I can use one. The websites are pretty useless unless you know exactly what you want...

Any suggestions or set-ups you guys have that work great?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you don't mind going with a less blingy bashguard, BBG's have worked well for me and others. Not as burly as the ones you mention, but cheaper and lighter (you'll even lose weight over the big ring): http://bbgbashguard.com/

Haven't found the need for a tensioner myself, I rarely if ever drop a chain on my XCL. You could look at the Blackspire Stinger though. Made for 2 rings, but I'm not sure if the bottom bracket mount would work if you're using an E-type fd.
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I like this setup.......

E-thirteen bash guard with a Blackspire Stinger E. http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/320894/0/0.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Which E.13 guard is that one? Their site is pure junk in terms of laying it out clearly...

Also, I assume our XCLs are the newest ISCG05, right? Not the old style ISCG??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dude
    Which E.13 guard is that one? Their site is pure junk in terms of laying it out clearly...

Also, I assume our XCLs are the newest ISCG05, right? Not the old style ISCG??
    The bash guard is from the e.thirteen 32 special and the blackspire is a BB mount back plate since the XCL's do not have ISCG tabs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor821
    The bash guard is from the e.thirteen 32 special and the blackspire is a BB mount back plate since the XCL's do not have ISCG tabs.

Thanks, man. Sorry for being so dumb on all this. I just wanna make sure I get the right set-up and so not to have to return and wait, etc.

I am trying to learn all the bicycle industry lingo and terms... Tough sometimes...

By the way, which two sprockets are you running? 24/36?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks, man. Sorry for being so dumb on all this. I just wanna make sure I get the right set-up and so not to have to return and wait, etc.

I am trying to learn all the bicycle industry lingo and terms... Tough sometimes...

By the way, which two sprockets are you running? 24/36?
    32 / 22

mtbr member
    Have you checked out the new e.13 DRS and the Gamut Dual ring? Those would both be good choices - we have them built on the white limited edition bike.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use a 38 tooth saint dh ring as a big ring /bash guard. It's one of the stronger rings out there has a bit more clearence than a 42 or 44,and it shifts just fine,you could even consider a 36 the smaller size is less likely to bend. I like some sort of big ring for gettin down in a more controlled spin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Have you checked out the new e.13 DRS and the Gamut Dual ring? Those would both be good choices - we have them built on the white limited edition bike.
    Thanks Alan on the E.13 info!!

I missed the E type option on that one! Plus, I priced the BlackSpire set-up. Fair enough price, but the shipping from Canado was CRAZY!!

On my way with the DRS!

mtbr member
    Bringing threads from the dead, but in case any fellow Chumba XCL riders out there are wanting a bash guard, I went with an E.13 set-up and the newest bash guard. Really is a much better set-up for me as the outter ring was acting more like a saw on the tree crossings than anything. This allows me to slide right over w/o much fuss!!

Absolutley love this thing. Been tweeking some things and right now it feels the best of any bike I have owned.

Oh, before anyone gets on me about the chainstay not being wrapped, the Lizard Skin was off because I just cleaned it before the pics and didn't get it on... I know, I know... NEWB!

mtbr member
    Thanks Alan on the E.13 info!!

I missed the E type option on that one! Plus, I priced the BlackSpire set-up. Fair enough price, but the shipping from Canado was CRAZY!!

On my way with the DRS!

Where did you get the DRS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uconn1150
    Where did you get the DRS?
    E.13

They are new with the Supercharger. Tough to find right now, but the set-up is awesome.

mtbr member
    E.13

They are new with the Supercharger. Tough to find right now, but the set-up is awesome.
    From which shop?

Members who have read this thread: 0