back brake on XCL- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

back brake on XCL

Anyone know the largest rotor size recommended for the back of an XCL? I just off a long downhill ride (7,000 ft). Partway down the back started to squeal terribly. I called Formula, they said that at my weight of 230 lbs. and that long of a decent I should try a 180. Anyone have a 180 on their XCL. It seems like when I put the back wheel in the dropouts a 180 might hit the frame.???

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Good question. I'm about to swap my front 185 to the rear to make room for a 203 up front. It looks like there's plenty of clearance at first glance.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Good question. I'm about to swap my front 185 to the rear to make room for a 203 up front. It looks like there's plenty of clearance at first glance.
    I've got a 185 on the back of mine and it clears fine. From a quick glance a 203 might hit.
    "Do not touch the trim"

it's....
    Where is this 7000 ft downhill? K2?

Aug 2007
    cannell

mtbr member
    We've been running 185mm avid brakes on the rear of the XCL consistently, so it should be ok.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Got my Juicy 7 185 installed last week. It fits just fine. It's a pain to get the wheel in with the chain in place though.

Oct 2005
    203 is a mighty big rear brake for an XCL, even at your weight. If you pick the right brake, 180-ish should be more than sufficient. I ride with a lot of equipment at over your weight on a 36 pound rig and my 183 Hope M4 rear is more than sufficient. I run a 203 V2 vented up front. The M4 is more than enough brake for me in the back. I'm also learning to brake properly and use more of the front brake as well instead of dragging my rear all the way down. There's a place for front and rear usage, as well as both, and I'm finding the limitations again of my front brake because I'm actually using it and now it's becoming second nature to know when the right time for the rear only or rear bias exists. 180ish is good, especially with Formulas, which have great power.

Aug 2007
    Yeah, I need to learn to use the back brake more judiciously as well. The problem comes when its a long swoopy down hill in loose material. I washed out up front a couple of times that way. Come to think of it though, I had lowered my seat for the descent. This could have unweighted my front enough to cause the wash out more than necessary. Any ideas?

ride, eat, live
    Nov 2004

203mm on rear

i run a 203mm hope rotor on the rear with a hope M4 brake. it fits with VERY little room to spare. i run the 203mm because here in colorado you get 20 minute sutstained downhill runs with technical sections thrown in every so often. it's 20 minutes of brake management just to survive. when i used 160 or 180mm rotors they heated up much faster and would fade on braking power. with the 203mm rotors they don't heat up as fast or fade as fast. just my 2 cents.
    i'm the man from nantucket

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine has 185 in the rear, but the rotor alway scratches up the chainstay when removing the wheel. no biggy though- my bike is bound to be scratched anyways..
    I like rice.

ride, eat, live
    Nov 2004

Tight fit

yeah, i have to maneuver my back wheel with surgical precision to fit it in and it still contacts the chainstay and mars it up. oh well, it's on the inside so i'm not upset. i am actually thinking of going with a 180mm rotor in the rear and learning to brake a lot more with the front.
    i'm the man from nantucket

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cbehnke
    yeah, i have to maneuver my back wheel with surgical precision to fit it in and it still contacts the chainstay and mars it up. oh well, it's on the inside so i'm not upset. i am actually thinking of going with a 180mm rotor in the rear and learning to brake a lot more with the front.
    thats funny.. because I'm trying ride without a kung fu grip on my brakes and just let go.
    but when I do use my brakes I use both front and rear in conjunction it helps me a lot because I use less force at one given point without locking up either wheel.

BUT I do crash a lot.
    I like rice.

Members who have read this thread: 0