Azonic Saber shock set up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Azonic Saber shock set up

What's the best shock set up for Azonic Saber, is it on 5 inch or 6 inch?
    What's the difference between the set up feel?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think it will depend on your front fork. I have 6 inch travel Maverick fork on my Saber. It goes well with the romic in the back set for 6. The bike might climb slightly better in the shorter setting. I live in rocky rooty New England. I would never leave it in the 5 inch spot. If you have a 4-5 inch travel fork, set it in the five inch mode for better balance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Has anyone use 7'' DC fork

on Saber, would it be so unbalance or it's just fine?
    I'm planning to buy Saber but need more encouraging from those who ever ride it.
    I currently using uzzi sl, i would like to upgrade to 6" travel rear.
    Thanks.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    I has use 6" DC fork on saber. I wouldn't recommend a beefy 7" fork like a dorado, monster T, Shiver, Fox40 or newer Super T, but the old 02 super T was ok on it and 6" DC forks work very well on it.

The frame weighs 8.2lbs with the shock, it's not super-beefy or anything, but it's a good all-around bike.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman
    Thanks.
    It depends if you have the correct spring rate.

If you want to run it in 6" mode, get the right spring rate for 6" mode. If you have the right spring rate for 6" mode and switch it to 5" mode, it will be over sprung.

If you want to run it in 5" mode most of the time, then get the right spring rate for 5". This is the worse situation though because if you run it in 6" mode with the proper spring for 5" mode, you WILL BE UNDERSPRUNG and could damage stuff when the shock bottoms out.

This is the achilles heel of "adjustable travel" bikes, because unless you have an air shock, whenever you make a travel adjustment you MUST make a spring rate adjustment, or you are simply not using the optimum rate (oversprung) or may damage the bike/shock (undersprung).

The bike rides great in both settings if you have the proper spring for each.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What's the correct spring rate

for me on 6" travel mode, i'm 67 kg.
    And will the small Saber fits me? Like my medium Uzzi Sl? i'm 170 cm.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There was a helpful review from Jason on go-ride.com about the saber. I think he rode it with a Jr. T up front and really liked it. The 17 inch frame is a great size. It should fit just fine. Be patient and experiment with the romic shock, it took some tweaking but now works perfectly with the air-sprung Maverick in the front. If you have any other questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman
    Thanks.

I have had my Saber for 6 months now and I love it. Grate do every thing bike. Im running a black on my bike upfront and its not bad but Im changing it out for a Pike soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    It depends if you have the correct spring rate.

If you want to run it in 6" mode, get the right spring rate for 6" mode. If you have the right spring rate for 6" mode and switch it to 5" mode, it will be over sprung.

If you want to run it in 5" mode most of the time, then get the right spring rate for 5". This is the worse situation though because if you run it in 6" mode with the proper spring for 5" mode, you WILL BE UNDERSPRUNG and could damage stuff when the shock bottoms out.

This is the achilles heel of "adjustable travel" bikes, because unless you have an air shock, whenever you make a travel adjustment you MUST make a spring rate adjustment, or you are simply not using the optimum rate (oversprung) or may damage the bike/shock (undersprung).

The bike rides great in both settings if you have the proper spring for each.
    So just how do i know what the right spring is? im 180lb i run it in the 6in mode all the time and i use the spring that came with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    So just how do i know what the right spring is? im 180lb i run it in the 6in mode all the time and i use the spring that came with it.
    Ask romic. They will call you back if you leave them your number. They were helpful in helping me set up the shock on my saber.

May 2004

Good job!

I have a saber w/ a Vanilla RLC. I've had a few E'worth Ids, so this was a replacement to be a bit more durable with similar qualities.

Jm's right on saying the spring rate is paramount. I'm 180 and use a slightly heavier than stock 600lb spring to achieve proper sag without putting too much preload on the spring at 6". Be sure to use rider weight and not body weight to find preload...

That said, I prefer the 6" setting. The suspension seems to operate more smoothly through its travel. It's a distinct difference, but I can't really put a finger on it. It's like the bike wants to plunge through its travel in the 5" setting. Anyone else notice this? I get the feeling the bike was optimized for 6 with capability at 5.

The saber seems to be a little more stable at speed than the id. I'll chalk that up to the head angle being a bit slacker. It certainly handles better as the BB is lower, but those pedal catches are annoying. The saber also seems to handle big hits more smoothly (granted, there's a little more travel) but that's more atttributable to the suspension design - the shock is mounted more forward of the BB. It's great to have a little tire clearance, too, not to mention being forever rid of that sissy-azz internal cable routing (internal is great if all you plan to do is look at your bike). The downside is that it does not pedal *quite* as efficiently. Not much of a downside considering the overall package.

So far, I'm impressed. I didn't expect this bike to be this good. I built it on a whim for a play bike & now I'm in love.