Anyone running a dual ring chain guide on the XCL?- Mtbr.com
    I'm living the dream!

Anyone running a dual ring chain guide on the XCL?

I'd like to explore the possibility of doing this but wonder if the e-type front D limits the chainguide options. If you're running a CG, post up with the brand, model and of course, pics. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm running a blackspire stinger, but no front derailleur. I'm going to experiment with a cheap deore FD to see if I can enlarge the band enough with a sander to get it to close around the seat tube. I love the bigger seat tube but I absolutely despise the e-type derailleur because you can't move it down the tube for tuning purposes when you aren't running a big ring.

e.13 makes a guide system called the DRS.. you can get an e-type backplate for that one that allows you to attach the e-type FD to the guide's back plate. In this manner you've still only got one spacer on the drive side of the BB. Word of warning, though.. if you are using the FSA afterburner crank your granny ring crank bolts will rub. I just changed to a shimano XT crank to eliminate that problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    e.13 makes a guide system called the DRS.. you can get an e-type backplate for that one that allows you to attach the e-type FD to the guide's back plate. In this manner you've still only got one spacer on the drive side of the BB.
    I just bought the e-type back plate for my DRS. The problem I'm having is, I can not get that damn e-type FD set up, so the chain won't rub when It's on the 32t ring. I'm going over to a friends house this weekend to hopefully get it all set up since the snow is melting fast.

Surfing trails
    I have an e.13 DRS setup on my EVO, complete with the e-type backplate adapter. It works great with my XTR derailleur and my Race Face Atlas crank. No rub and it's super smooth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It took a little work today, but my e.13 DRS is all set up on my XCL. I'm using an XT FD and FSA V-Drive cranks. My granny ring bolts don't rub on the back plate, but my chain does.

mtbr member
    If the v-drives are built anything like the afterburner cranks they will rub. I've found out that XT cranks don't have the same issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0