Anyone ride a Chumba F5?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Which would you pick?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Anyone ride a Chumba F5?

So I am looking to get a new bike that can do both Freeride/DH. And being a big fan of Chumba I was thinking about the F5 being that I want more travel than the Evo.

Does anyone ride one?

I've also had my eye on quite a few frames just for a nice choice of everything...
    I like rice.

nerfherder
    If I actually got a big bike it'd be the F5 or Knolly. I've been itching to try an F5, too.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    So I am looking to get a new bike that can do both Freeride/DH. And being a big fan of Chumba I was thinking about the F5 being that I want more travel than the Evo.

Does anyone ride one?

I've also had my eye on quite a few frames just for a nice choice of everything...
    The F5 is really a DH race bike. I don't believe it's FD compatible if you want to do any climbing. I'm sure you can use it as a FR bike and probably pedals ok.

What kind of FR/DH use will you be doing? All bikes will be compromises. You need to clearly define what type of riding you'll be doing to get a better idea of the bike you need.

Resort riding only/mainly? Do you need to pedal to alot of your FR trails? Shuttle mostly. Fast and flowy, techy gnar, lots of man-made technical trail features, etc?

I looked at the F5 too. I like the relatively short WB. The bike probably handles real well. BB is on the higher side as well (more freeridey).

edit: I looked at many bikes on that list. The perfect bike for me is probably the Knolly, but in the end I bought the Blindside.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    being that I have my XCL for regular trail riding, this big bike was going to be mainly for long switchback descents and big drops. and hopefully still be able to pedal with the occasional shuttle run. I dont know too many areas with big rock gardens but those are a favorite. But honestly I can't really put a specific on what style I would ride- it would be a combination of all those.

Hopefully I can bother Jason and Alan enough to let me demo an F5.
    I like rice.

nerfherder
    Based on Geo's good advice, I would think it comes down to this: Do you need to climb on this beast? If so, will you want to do that with a single ring?

Apr 2007
    The F5 is a pro level DH bike. You can put a 11-34 cog set on it and ride it up little hills but you really want to be ready to shuttle this bike. Its not heavy but its not set up to pedal up hill either.
    I have a 37 LB F4. the F5 is a weighs a little less than the F4 . It handle much like the F4 only it has a different shock . The new F5 has replaceable d hanger and a better way of clamping the 12 mm rear axle. The new F5 has a 1.5 OD on the head tube with a 1.1/8 inner .
    This is due to the fact that DH fork with triple crown forks have 1.1/8 steer tubes.
    The only reason that the bikes went to the 1.5 is to get more surface area to weld to. It is that added strenget you get with the new Chumba. The best part is you don't have to use a 1.5 to a 1 1/8 reducer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Based on Geo's good advice, I would think it comes down to this: Do you need to climb on this beast? If so, will you want to do that with a single ring?
    Yes it needs to be able to pedal- maybe not very well because thats just expected. But it needs to at least be able to slug its way up a hill or two.

odds are that I would run a dual ring setup. Maybe single just to save a little weight...
    I like rice.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    odds are that I would run a dual ring setup...
    You cannot run a dual ring setup on the F5. I'd look at another bike for your FR/DH needs.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You cannot run a dual ring setup on the F5. I'd look at another bike for your FR/DH needs.
    haha I'd probably end up with one down the road anyways and make that my Race only bike or something if I ever get good enough.
    I like rice.

Members who have read this thread: 0