Anyone make custom ti forks?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Anyone make custom ti forks?

I'm looking for builders who can fabricate custom ti forks for a cross bike. Who should I talk to?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ddindc
    I'm looking for builders who can fabricate custom ti forks for a cross bike. Who should I talk to?
    Not "custom" but Sibex makes a nice unicrown ti fork.
    http://www.sibexsports.com/forks.htm

I don't know for sure, but I'd think many of the custom ti frame guys would do forks, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Take a look at :

http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/inbred__ti_forks.shtml

On-one are based in the UK but are reasonably priced and their frames have a CULT status in the UK and Europe.

mtbr member
    I'll bet Wade at Vulturecycles.com has done them.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i don't think vulture has dome much ti work. i talked to him a couple of months ago on a ti vulture ebb ss and he said he had only done one ti frame. i didn't ask about forks though, but i'd give him a call. great guy!!!

if you want right out of the box, check out sibex. mark gullickson (sp?) and travis brown have been ricing their cx sleds on them this year. if it's good enought gor those animals, i am sure it's good enough for you. their cross fork is a unicrown style.

on-one does a ti cross fork, it disc only though, and it segmented, like the spicer and marati designs.

i ended up ordering a spicer cross fork after looking at the options. it's canti only, has a 1" steerer (1 1/8" is available) and is 405mm crown to axle. about $250. i am sure it'll hold up fine. i am 175 and not hard on gear...i'm more of a smooth, flowing rider. i know there have been reports of fork failure under the spicer/xacd brand, but since gene spicer spec'd his fork witha thicker wall, i haven't seen any more that i can remember.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Magmaa will do a cutom unicrown Ti fork.

Spicer can custom order the XACD segmented Ti forks.

You might check with Strong Cycles, he does alot of nice Ti work, but I'm not sure he makes any Ti forks.

Cheers,

Tom

www.badgercycles.com

Try Black Sheep

Give James with Black Sheep Bikes a call. 970-308-9187 Some pics of a 29er Ti fork in this thread.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=73760

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ti forks=bad

I'm not sure why people are hyped on ti forks other than the wow factor. A steel fork will be lighter, stiffer, and more comfortable. Ti is not a good material for forks. You need to overbuild it so much that you loose any potential weight savings. Also the fore-aft flex is increased on a ti fork compared to a similar steel fork.

Contact Vicious Cycles or Sycip to talk about fork design.

Occasionally engagedů

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    I'm not sure why people are hyped on ti forks other than the wow factor. A steel fork will be lighter, stiffer, and more comfortable. Ti is not a good material for forks. You need to overbuild it so much that you loose any potential weight savings. Also the fore-aft flex is increased on a ti fork compared to a similar steel fork.
    As we say in the business -- you better support those claims with some evidence.

Mar 2004

I agree that it will be stiffer, but I don't see how its going to be lighter. As for comfort, that's a matter of preference. Personally, since I won't be riding a suspended front-end, I'd like a material that will dampen shock, and I feel that Ti does a better job than steel in that department. In fact, I want it to flex a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a custom ti Spicer that is for sale.......hit me at [email protected]

Its for 700c and has canti mounts. Very light very clean barely used. Costed 275new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

the biz

Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    As we say in the business -- you better support those claims with some evidence.
    Coming from the engineers at the ti bike company i work for, ti forks are not a very appealing idea because of the reasons i stated before. I'm no engineer, so I defer to their experience and knowledge.

Occasionally engagedů
    Coming from the engineers at the ti bike company i work for, ti forks are not a very appealing idea because of the reasons i stated before. I'm no engineer, so I defer to their experience and knowledge.
    Coming from a ti bike company I don't work for, ti forks have a relatively small profit margin and therefore are not appealing. Other than that, they have no issue with ti forks and will build them when persuaded. I defer to their business experience and their technical knowledge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Coming from a ti bike company I don't work for, ti forks have a relatively small profit margin and therefore are not appealing. Other than that, they have no issue with ti forks and will build them when persuaded. I defer to their business experience and their technical knowledge.
    I'm sure profit margin has something to do with the lack of ti forks, but you also have to consider that if a ti fork was so great, people would pay top dollar for it. People pay 500+ for a rigid carbon fork because it has obvious advantages. People would pay $600 for a ti fork if it offered significant advantages, but the reality is, a $300 top end steel fork is a better and cheaper choice.

6x7=Dont Panic!

Um, a Morati or XACD fork will come in under 600g. Lighter than a Pace RC31. Are you telling me that you know of a steel fork that is lighter than a morati fork? It would be great to see one.
    Herro prease