Any word on a trail version of the IF Electrode?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any word on a trail version of the IF Electrode?

I realize that IF will do custom geometry all day long, but does anyone know if they can/will do a 5" travel version of the Electrode?

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I realize that IF will do custom geometry all day long, but does anyone know if they can/will do a 5" travel version of the Electrode?
    I doubt it, for a number of reasons:

1. IF tends to concentrate on the XC side of things and seem to have their hands full dealing with that and cyclocross and road bikes, so I don't really see them coming out with a 5" travel version in the near future.

2. In an interview, IF's Joe Ingram said more or less that it's a pain in the ass to source the rear-end from outside the company, leading me to believe that the Electrode might be short-lived. That's my interpretation and I certainly can't speak for IF and don't have any inside information.

3. Someone here on MTBR asked Dave Weagle about licensing fees to have a frame builder build a custom DW-Link bike. His answer was that he will not license the design to custom builders because for the DW-Link suspension to work optimally he must personally tweak the design for each specific model. So I don't think IF could just build 5" travel Electrodes on a made-to-order basis.

I think your best bet would be to look into the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII (which I see you've already done) or the new 5.5" travel Ibis Mojo.
    Last edited by tvrbob86; 02-04-2006 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member

Not according to them

They told me to just buy someone elses bike (I forget who) but they use the same basic design. Beyond that the frame alone would cost $8,000; save you'reself thousands and buy an Intense,Turner,Ventana,Ellsworth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    I doubt it, for a number of reasons:

1. IF tends to concentrate on the XC side of things and seem to have their hands full dealing with that and cyclocross and road bikes, so I don't really see them coming out with a 5" travel version in the near future.

2. In an interview, IF's Joe Ingram said more or less that it's a pain in the ass to source the rear-end from outside the company, leading me to believe that the Electrode might be short-lived. That's my interpretation and I certainly can't speak for IF and don't have any inside information.

3. Someone here on MTBR asked Dave Weagle about licensing fees to have a frame builder build a custom DW-Link bike. His answer was that he will not license the design to custom builders because for the DW-Link suspension to work optimally he must personally tweak the design for each specific model. So I don't think IF could just build 5" travel Electrodes on a made-to-order basis.

I think your best bet would be to look into the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII (which I see you've already done) or the new 5.5" travel Ibis Mojo.
    This could be the most informative thread I've ever seen. Thanks! Anyway, the mkIII geometry is spot on for me, it's just hard to resist the temptation of sexier metals. However, I don't think a carbon frame would be condusive to my body weight and riding style.

Members who have read this thread: 0