Any other rides like the DEAN Ace out there?- Mtbr.com
    Not a Barry supporter.

Any other rides like the DEAN Ace out there?

I'm really looking at a custom frame and love the DEAN Ace. I think it's perfect but b/c of all of the negative feedback I'm cautious about picking DEAN over other manufacturers. However, the only other ride I've seen that uses the same suspension design as this one is the Litespeed Niota (sp?). I'm not a big LS fan so I'd go with the DEAN over it. Even with all of the risks. It seems like most builders are using the Ventana type suspension and that's not what I want. I have a Burner right now and it's great for climbing and descents but on the flats and short up and downs it feels like the bike is sucking the energy right out of me. That's why I want the Ace type of suspension. So does anyone know of a manufacturer that has that type of suspension and makes custom frames? I've always wanted a Ti frame but I'm sure steel would work too. The main thing is a custom fit. I want a really odd geo set up. A mixture of a GF Sugar with the Id's high BB.

Thanks!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member

Curtlo

He makes a custom cromo front end with a mountain cycle single pivot 3.5" rear end.

mtbr member
    Dude, I totally wouldn't worry about the risks. Dean makes very high quality custom frames at a very reasonable price. Of course, you can't have everything, so it takes a while to get them. I've had a Colonel for close to 4 years now. It's been a great bike. Do I really care now that it took me close to 4 months to get it? Not a bit. Did I care one day after I got it? Not a bit. You've been posting that you wanted a dean for a freaking year now, at least. If you'd have just ordered one 6 months ago, you'd already have it broken in.

Don't listen to all the whiners who complain that John was nice to them on the phone, but they didn't get their bike in the four weeks he promised. They sound like coeds who were dating their professor, but just can't believe it that he never left his wife for them, just like he promised during office hours. Really, we all know that the four week promise is bogus. But the price and the quality ain't, they're for real.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I know what you mean. I've coveted a Dean for years now but I've never pulled the trigger for some reason. I'm still heavily leaning towards the Ace but I wanted to get some other feedback. I think I bought into the hype of the Turner faithful and when I found a Burner w/ an RP3, I gobbled it up. The Turner is great on climbs and descents and I have nothing bad to say about it except that it's not built for fast rolling stuff. I've now had two bikes with that type of suspension and realize that my riding style is more suited to a Sugar type design. So now I just have to sell off the Turner and some SW stuff and then I'll be ordering one.

Yea, I'm ready to go from Homer land to Dean land.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I know what you mean. I've coveted a Dean for years now but I've never pulled the trigger for some reason. I'm still heavily leaning towards the Ace but I wanted to get some other feedback. I think I bought into the hype of the Turner faithful and when I found a Burner w/ an RP3, I gobbled it up. The Turner is great on climbs and descents and I have nothing bad to say about it except that it's not built for fast rolling stuff. I've now had two bikes with that type of suspension and realize that my riding style is more suited to a Sugar type design. So now I just have to sell off the Turner and some SW stuff and then I'll be ordering one.

I just saw a Ace Extralite at my local shop this weekend, WOW... amazing looking bike, with the carbon wrap and great ti look, anodized rear. Hopefully there will be some pictures up soon (www.redstonecyclery.com).
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB

I have a Dean Colonel Xlite 29er on order. It was promised for 5-7 weeks. It will end up 3 months. But it hasn't been that big of a deal, I knew about the typical Dean delays prior to ordering. Just don't believe them when they tell you the delivery time. If you double it you will probably be fairly safe. I would do it again though, In fact I will probably be ordering cross frame/fork from them next week. From what I have heard the Dean Ace would be pretty sweet.

Fashionably functional...
    The Ace and the Niota has different suspensions. The older Ace has similar and it's still the same as the one used on Titus and a few others as well; where the pivot is on the seat tube. The Ace places the pivot around the bb. And yes, it's a great bike.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I just saw a Ace Extralite at my local shop this weekend, WOW... amazing looking bike, with the carbon wrap and great ti look, anodized rear. Hopefully there will be some pictures up soon (www.redstonecyclery.com).
    Ask and ye shall receive! This was a super cool bike. We actually talked about custom geometry on this one. John said that with the FS, custom is much more of a logistical challenge and about all they will do is top tube length. The carbon wrap is more for frame stiffness than weight. Weightwise, the carbon is a wash with the full ti. Anyway, this bike was about 25.3 lbs as you see it. Size large. Very sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Members who have read this thread: 1