any more riding opinions and impressions of the chumba XCL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

any more riding opinions and impressions of the chumba XCL?

I have seen all the chumba XCL reviews and opinions but it still doesn't seem like there are that many, I know there are more people out there that have this bike then there are reviews and write ups on it!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I've only got one ride on my XCL. I'm a continent away from it and won't get to ride it again for 10 days.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    I have seen all the chumba XCL reviews and opinions but it still doesn't seem like there are that many, I know there are more people out there that have this bike then there are reviews and write ups on it!
    I've got a few weeks riding on mine. Steep and technical SoCal stuff and a weekend in the Sierra's, Cannel trail etc. The things that stand out most to me are it's rigidity, technical climbing and geometry. It tracks extremely well, no perceptible rear end flex, so much so that I find myself climbing standing up with it like I'm on my singlespeed. Pushing hard into corners or heavy g-outs it stays on line. This is my first Horst link bike and it's definitley a better climber than my previous Faux Bar which seemed to lock out in the granny gear. Finally the geometry, this is definitley personal but it just fits me right, I like the shallow head angle for steep technical stuff yet it still climbs well, especially with the Pike run down. My only real quibble is with the DHX air, I really don't understand the purpose of this shock, it has all these adjustments (but curiously lacks a compression damping adjustment) but to what end?
    I would definitely recommend the XCL to bigger or more aggressive riders who would appreciate the solidity of the frame, it's not a weight weenie frame but if you ride hard and sometimes break stuff or are just tired of riding light but flexy full suspension frames a few more ounces are definitely worth it. Plus it just looks cool.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0