any Flyte bikes out thare- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

any Flyte bikes out thare

Any one get a flyte yet? i was looking at one of thare hard tails it loos kind of nice.

Optimus Prime

Working on it

Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Any one get a flyte yet? i was looking at one of thare hard tails it loos kind of nice.
    I got my Celsius 9 frame a couple of weeks ago, I am building it up as we speak. The guys at Flyte have been great to work with.
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

Optimus Prime

New Flyte

Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    The frame looked even better in person than it did on line, every that I showed it to loved it.

Gold Member
    Any word on liking it?
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Wolf nipple chips

gross

we just swapped parts over from a customer's old trek to their new Flyte SRS-2 road bike, and it was most unimpressive. the placement of the cablestops on the headtube was completely ridiculous and showed a very poor design - it forced the shifter cable to run directly into the brake cable - you would not be able to turn the bike without binding up the brake cable, and thus applying the brake somewhat. inexcusable. the frame looked fancy, but was surprisingly heavy for a frame that is supposed to have all these "advanced" materials.

They offer these "great deals" on their website, like spec-ing their bikes with XTR or Dura-ace for crazy cheap prices - until you realize that the rest of the components on the build are total junk. to actually get a decently spec-ed out bike, you'd have to spend close to another grand - which you can do on the site.

don't mean to rag on YOUR ride, but it just seems like a more legitimate version of the Landrider bike, and the way IT is sold. i'm not a big fan of internet-only bike manufacturers.

CF

Optimus Prime

Haven't finished it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    Any word on liking it?
    I haven't finished putting it together yet, all my parts are not in, but I wll let you know how I like it when it is done.

Optimus Prime

Have you called Flyte?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    we just swapped parts over from a customer's old trek to their new Flyte SRS-2 road bike, and it was most unimpressive. the placement of the cablestops on the headtube was completely ridiculous and showed a very poor design - it forced the shifter cable to run directly into the brake cable - you would not be able to turn the bike without binding up the brake cable, and thus applying the brake somewhat. inexcusable. the frame looked fancy, but was surprisingly heavy for a frame that is supposed to have all these "advanced" materials.

They offer these "great deals" on their website, like spec-ing their bikes with XTR or Dura-ace for crazy cheap prices - until you realize that the rest of the components on the build are total junk. to actually get a decently spec-ed out bike, you'd have to spend close to another grand - which you can do on the site.

don't mean to rag on YOUR ride, but it just seems like a more legitimate version of the Landrider bike, and the way IT is sold. i'm not a big fan of internet-only bike manufacturers.

CF
    Have you checked with Flyte to make sure that it wasn't a defect, those guys are great to work with and should fix the problem.

Wolf nipple chips
    Quote Originally Posted by juice0276
    Have you checked with Flyte to make sure that it wasn't a defect, those guys are great to work with and should fix the problem.

Didn't bother - we could see from the pictures on the website that all their road bikes had the same design. This wasn't a matter of a cable-stop that was accidently angled wrong, rather, it was a matter of poor design, in that they designed the cable-stops to be put there.

Nov 2005

CF
    Dear CF

My intent is not to start any kind of online battle here, but I feel the need to speak up due to the fact that you are misrepresenting our product and sound very impassioned about it.

Other manufacturers have used cable stops in this location in the past; it is nothing new to the industry, like the Look KG 361, for example.

From a design standpoint, there are benefits to placing the cable stops on the head tube.

1. No embrittlement – or heat-affected zones from welding stops on D/T
    2. Ability to use thinner or different butted tubing on D/T
    3. Shorter runs of cable housing = less friction

In my experiences, building and testing riding this bike, I have never had the derailleur housing rub up against the brake housing causing it to "apply the brake somewhat". I personally own and have been riding my SRS-2 since November and to date it has never had this problem. Also, to date, no clients have expressed this complaint.

To your point that we have bikes for a "great deal", you are speaking of a full Shimano 10 Speed Ultegra road bike (with a FSA carbon crank that costs more than the Ultegra crank), a full Shimano 10 Speed 105 road bike, a 10 speed Ultegra mix 'cross bike, and a full LX equipped mountain bike.
    We do not have any (nor have we had any since Flyte was launched) XTR or Dura Ace specials that you speak of.

To your mentioning the LandRider bicycle; this “as Seen on TV” bicycle is not a very accurate or appropriate comparison of our product.
    It is unfortunate for the forum and your customers that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Dan Tille
    Flyte Customer Support

Wolf nipple chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyte Bicycles
    Dear CF

My intent is not to start any kind of online battle here, but I feel the need to speak up due to the fact that you are misrepresenting our product and sound very impassioned about it.

Other manufacturers have used cable stops in this location in the past; it is nothing new to the industry, like the Look KG 361, for example.

From a design standpoint, there are benefits to placing the cable stops on the head tube.

1. No embrittlement – or heat-affected zones from welding stops on D/T
    2. Ability to use thinner or different butted tubing on D/T
    3. Shorter runs of cable housing = less friction

In my experiences, building and testing riding this bike, I have never had the derailleur housing rub up against the brake housing causing it to "apply the brake somewhat". I personally own and have been riding my SRS-2 since November and to date it has never had this problem. Also, to date, no clients have expressed this complaint.

To your point that we have bikes for a "great deal", you are speaking of a full Shimano 10 Speed Ultegra road bike (with a FSA carbon crank that costs more than the Ultegra crank), a full Shimano 10 Speed 105 road bike, a 10 speed Ultegra mix 'cross bike, and a full LX equipped mountain bike.
    We do not have any (nor have we had any since Flyte was launched) XTR or Dura Ace specials that you speak of.

To your mentioning the LandRider bicycle; this “as Seen on TV” bicycle is not a very accurate or appropriate comparison of our product.
    It is unfortunate for the forum and your customers that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Dan Tille
    Flyte Customer Support

No offense taken, but I should probably take ths opportunity to try and clarify why I was so un-impressed with the frame. Also please bear in mind that I'm not mis-representing anything, as i'm not even representing anything in the first place. This is just my opinion, and the opinion of the other mechanic (the manager of the shop) who was building the bike.

Placing cable stops for the der's on the headtube is something i've seen done before, however on this frame they honestly did direct the der cable RIGHT into the brake cable as the brake cable entered the caliper. there were three people looking at this. (all three of us are mechanics in some respect - two bike mechanics and one car mechanic. just so you know we do have some mechanical minds looking at this.) We were able to minimize the effects of this to a point, however this cable-rubbing problem was still present, and was something that we were discussing with the owner as something that he'd have to "put up with."

About the "great deals" point I mentioned, my point was that the promotions appeared to me to be a bit misleading. The ad on your main page shows the bike for a very low price when equpped with the new ultegra 10 speed. then if you go to "customize" it, you find that in order to get the bike at that price, you sacrifice some performance with many other parts that are not nearly befitting of a a full-ultegra bike. So to bring the bike up to a more"ultegra-worthy" level, you'd really have to lay down an extra chunk of change.

Those are really my only beefs. I gotta say, this is wierd being able to interact with and tell a company rep how i really feel about their product. Any other medium, and i'd be like "yeah, it's ok... no problems..."

CF

Optimus Prime

Should be done

My bike should be all put together this weekend, all my parts came in.

Optimus Prime

Why

No offense taken, but I should probably take ths opportunity to try and clarify why I was so un-impressed with the frame. Also please bear in mind that I'm not mis-representing anything, as i'm not even representing anything in the first place. This is just my opinion, and the opinion of the other mechanic (the manager of the shop) who was building the bike.

Placing cable stops for the der's on the headtube is something i've seen done before, however on this frame they honestly did direct the der cable RIGHT into the brake cable as the brake cable entered the caliper. there were three people looking at this. (all three of us are mechanics in some respect - two bike mechanics and one car mechanic. just so you know we do have some mechanical minds looking at this.) We were able to minimize the effects of this to a point, however this cable-rubbing problem was still present, and was something that we were discussing with the owner as something that he'd have to "put up with."

About the "great deals" point I mentioned, my point was that the promotions appeared to me to be a bit misleading. The ad on your main page shows the bike for a very low price when equpped with the new ultegra 10 speed. then if you go to "customize" it, you find that in order to get the bike at that price, you sacrifice some performance with many other parts that are not nearly befitting of a a full-ultegra bike. So to bring the bike up to a more"ultegra-worthy" level, you'd really have to lay down an extra chunk of change.

Those are really my only beefs. I gotta say, this is wierd being able to interact with and tell a company rep how i really feel about their product. Any other medium, and i'd be like "yeah, it's ok... no problems..."

CF
    Why would you let a customer walk away with something that they will just have to "live with"?

Linoleum Knife
    then if you go to "customize" it, you find that in order to get the bike at that price, you sacrifice some performance with many other parts that are not nearly befitting of a a full-ultegra bike. So to bring the bike up to a more"ultegra-worthy" level, you'd really have to lay down an extra chunk of change.

CF
    I'm a little confused - looking at the $1599 Ultegra Promo, every single part except the cables and the bar tape are at least "ultegra worthy". They even have a Selle Italia saddle, which is one of the most notorious places to cheap-out on a build.

FSA carbon cranks, Bontrager Racelite controls, Easton wheels... what in there is not Ultegra Worthy?

I really can't understand your problem with the cable routing either - the rear brake is on the lower side of the top tube instead of the top of the top tube. If you leave adequate slack in the cable housing at the controls, you should have no problems routing cables.

It's helpful that you tell us up front that you dislike internet-only bike companies, so we can take your review with a grain of salt.

Optimus Prime

Here it is

I am completely happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Optimus Prime

so far

I took this bike on its first race and it was still flawless.

Optimus Prime
    In Fla

Dec 2003
    I'd be interested in Flyte bikes if they offered a dually. But, as with Airborne the one dually I was interested in kept getting put on the back burner. So, I chose to go with a different manufacturer.

C'est la vie!

Optimus Prime

New pics

I have upgraded some parts, here are the new pics:

Optimus Prime

I want more

I hope to be adding a Flyte road and CX bike to the stable very soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hello, I'm from Montreal and it is nice to see that I am not alone in this planet. I do have a Celsius 6 and I'm very happy with it. Very good for tight turns and switchbacks and no flex on cornering.
    I noticed in the pics that the front derrailleur cable attach point is at an angle towards the rings, does it rub against the cable router on the seat tube? I used to have a X Gen derailleur and I changed it for a XT low clamp because of that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    voila

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    By the way, do you have the geometry specs of these frames?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Members who have read this thread: 0