Another Chumba hits the trail...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Another Chumba hits the trail...

Took the long ride down to the big city just before Christmas, knowing that the time to replace the long abused old Joker had come. Stopped in to see an old friend who happens to be the Chumba dealer in the Philippines, one thing led to another, and where it all ended up was this:

That's a not-quite-new (but new to me) black Evo, M/L, with my son's old 2006 36 Talas (he digs his new Totem) up front. Built up as an all mt rig really, XT crank, X.9 shifting, wheels are XT hubs, DT Comp, Mavic XM719. Wears a Nevegal 2.1 in back, Minion DHF 2.35 up front. Brakes are still BB7, planning to put XTs soon, pedals are the old dead-heavy Shimano red DX. FSA stem, Specialized low rise bar, Thomson post, WTB saddle...

Not gonna win any weight weenie contests, right now she comes in at 33.5. I can drop that a bit by changing the pedals (already ordered) and going to a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 for the dry season. When it gets wet I'll go back tot he Minion, grip means more than weight! That should get her down to 33 or so, and for an ultra plush, ultra burly go-anywhere rough trail bike, that's quite ok for me, especially given the price I paid! I could probably lose another pound by spending a small fortune (XTR crank and cog, King or I9 hubs, etc etc, but don't see the point). I have a light bike for light bike stuff, all day rides with epic climbs. This one is made to bash.

Of course once that was built up I had to load up the truck and drive way back up into the mountains where that kind of bike belongs. Been out on some trails already, having a great time with it. Still getting used to the idea that in a lot of places where I used to slow down and pick a line I can now just open it up and roll over everything in front of me. Twisty technical single track is just plain fun, roots and rocks get swallowed up. The bike builds instant confidence going down. Climbing is pretty solid, though I'm having to make some technique adjustments to keep the front down on really steep stuff. That'll come, getting better with it already.

Will try to post some action shots as time goes by... I won't ever push this bike to its limits, but I'm lovin' the plush and the security of having that big rock-solid platform under me. We have miles and miles of the kind of trail this machine was made for withing riding distance of the house, and I'm feeling the limits opening up a little more every time I ride it.

Nice bike. Not much more needs to be said.

PS: one thing that isn't advertised is that this this bike is really easy to carry on hike-a-bike stuff (some of our trails require that). Once the bottle cage bolts are out the down tube sits very comfortably on the shoulder, and the bike feels lighter than it is. Ok, it ain't riding per se, but it matters to some of us!

mtbr member
    Congratulations on your recent purchase! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics in PI. I hope to make it down there some time to do some riding as well. Enjoy the new rig, the weight will not be an issue after a few rides.
    07 Laguna Seca Blue Evo w/ Lyric 2 Step

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lots of Philippines pics here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...light=quarashi

And a couple more...

We're up in the mountains in the north of the country, altitude about 1500 meters, don't have the tropical heat of the lowlands. Different environment altogether, mostly pine forest and tropical montane mossy forest. Good place to ride, lots of single track...

Was out riding yesterday, had some trouble keeping the front of the Evo down on steep ups. My son (the airborne kid on the ASX in the photos) looked the rig over and politely suggested (I'm sure he was stifling a laugh) that I try winding the fork down. Completely forgot about that, still adjusting to all this adjustability, which I didn't have on the previous bike. Tried it; it makes a difference!

mtbr member
    congrats Dayuhan.... My next x-mas wish will be to ride my bike there in PI..

Members who have read this thread: 0