Another Chumba EVO Review- Mtbr.com
    Just Grin and HUCK it...

Another Chumba EVO Review

My buddy and I were given the opportunity to demo a couple of Chumba EVOs for a couple weeks, so we took advantage of it. We took them out a couple of times on our local SoCal trails to get them dialed in before we loaded them up and headed to Whistler and the North Shore. Keep in mind that my current ride is a 5 Spot....

Here are some of my observations:
    Build
    Frame: M/L
    Fork: Marz Z1 Lite
    Shock: DHX-A (2007 version)
    RD: X.9
    FD: XTR
    Brakes: Juicy 7 (7 R/8 F)
    Wheels: DT Swiss 5.1d, 340 hubs
    Tires: R - WTB Motoraptor 2.4
    F - Kenda Nevegal 2.5 stick-e DH
    Total weight: ~34-35 lbs.

General
    - Built strong, solid, beefy. No lack of strength
    - Extra gussets encourage harder riding
    - Massive rear triangle minimizes rear flex
    - Rear biased bike (pro = descending; con = climbing)

Pros
    - Smooth climber, no noticeable bob
    - Very solid, no rattles, flex or loose feeling
    - Descends very well, smoothes out the roughest downs
    - 6 travel felt like 8 very smooth/plush
    - Good center of gravity for drops, jumps, cornering, etc.
    - Ground clearance good

Cons
    - Occasional heel strike on seat stay, mainly drive side (see massive rear triangle comment above).
    - Front lifts easily on climbs- an adjustable fork is a must (caveat: my bike was set up for freeride purposes since we were headed to Whistler)
    - Difficult to adjust shock rebound on the fly (fairly common on most bikes w/DHXa)
    - Difficult to fit any tire larger than a 2.35 in the rear without deflating it first
    - Tight stand over. Not bad, just a little tight.
    - Seat tube angle not great for all-mountain use. Messes up geometry when raising/lowering seat. (again, bike was set up for freeride)

Summary
    When riding around our local trails (which involves a bit of climbing) the first thing I noticed was that the front end wanted to wander. This was easily remidied by winding down the travel on the Z1 light. An adjustable fork would be preferable for this bike for all-mountain use. Once we got the DHXa dialed in, the EVO rode very smooth. OK, so now on to Whistler....
    On our first run down Whistler, this bike started to show it's true colors. We started slow (read B-line) just to get a feel for the terrain and the bikes as we had not been to Whistler before. We went back up to a little 'training' area and took a few jumps and drops. 1st jump (small) = no problem. OK time to try jump #2. Nice approach, maybe a bit too fast because all the guys that were watching said I flew about 6 feet in the air before I landed. Landing - a bit sketchy (OK, a lot sketchy), but the bike made it much easier to pull it off without a major pile-up.
    Now on to the better stuff - A-line. The bike performed beautifully, perfectly balanced for what we were doing - jumps, gap jumps, drops, and berms. A few runs down a-line and dirt merchant later, we headed to the top via Garbonzo. Again, the bike performed flawlessly from the top to the bottom. The Z1 was well suited for the riding up there. All the guys (North Shore/Whistler locals) we were riding with had 7-8" travel bikes and were pretty impressed that a couple of SoCal schmucks were holding their own and keeping up with them. It wasn't us so much as it was the bike. I can honestly say that this bike brought me to another level of riding.

I would definitely like to try this bike set up more towards all-mountain for the trails around SoCal. I think that, if set up properly (lighter wheel set, different fork, etc) this would be a real good contender for everything around the area.

Pic#1 - Coming off the ladder drop on Freight Train
    Pic#2 - Freight Train drop again
    Pic#3 - Gap jump on Dirt Merchant
    Pic#4 - Drop on Schlayer
    Pic#5 - The EVO as set up for freeride
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 07-23-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    MCM# 2007.1

banned
    Yummy.

Compulsive Bike Builder

See related thread

It is great to see some riding on the bike. The EVO is difficult to categorize. It is straddles the line between all mountain and free ride. For a thread I have going on the AM board, see here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=211508
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I share some of the same observations with my Evo. I have noticed my heel and calf striking the seat stay, from time to time. The seat stay flares out quite a bit.

The front end becomes light with a 6" fork at full travel. As stated, an adjustable fork is a must for xc/am riding. There is a rear biased feeling when riding the bike, but this takes some getting used to. I think it is more of a "feeling" than anything, because the bike climbs quite well with the seat post extended.

I would have liked a tad more stand over on the Evo as well.

The Evo is a rock solid descender and very smooth. Great in the corners also.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    A follow-up to my EVO review: I got back on my 5 spot last night for the first time after I had to give the EVO back to it's rightful owners (Chumba). After spending some time on the EVO, my spot felt quite different, almost unstable. I had zero confidence riding my spot last night, I felt like I was all over the place, and this was on a trail that I frequent. I have no doubt that I would have been literally flying down the trail if I were on the EVO last night... no doubt. Another for the EVO.

Next, I'll have to convince the Chumba guys to set me up with an all-mountain EVO demo to ride locally. If my results are the same, it may just be time to make a move.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member

Evo

Nice review Silver Spot. I'm thinking about a new 6/7" bike and had not really considered the Evo before. I'll have to check it out.

On a side note, were you one of the twin Turner riders I met up at the flag on STT last night? I was the guy on the black Flux.

C

King Lurker

That was him..

He was the big ugly one . I was the the slim handsome guy. Good to see you guys last night. good ride.
    Krash

My name says it all!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash
    He was the big ugly one ....
    Gee, thanks alot, pal...

Yeah, that was me. Good to see you guys last night. Get hold of a Chumba EVO demo. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Small world! I was also up by the flag last night and met you guys. I'm the one with the blue Moment and my friend had the Nomad. I'm still drooling over the I9's!

Did you guys see the little rattler sitting smack in the middle of the trail at the fork to Old Camp as you go down that steep slope from the flag?

I also had the opportunity to demo the EVO going down San Juan a few weeks ago. Pretty much the same observation as you. It's a great descender and pedals very well. My friends also experienced the wandering on steep climbs. I only went down with it

mtbr member

You can try mine if you like

I actually ride STT/Luge quite a bit. If you ever see a guy on a green Evo with an AM1 up front, flag me down and I'll be glad to let you take it for a spin.

Just don't leave me stranded without my bike

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Yeah, I remember you guys! Good to see you last night.

Missed the rattler. It must have been down the left slope towards Old Camp - we went down the right slope down the Luge.

Re: EVO - I think that an adjustable fork would pretty much solve any wandering issues on the steep climbs. The descending strength fully compensates for any wandering going up IMO.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Re: EVO - I think that an adjustable fork would pretty much solve any wandering issues on the steep climbs. The descending strength fully compensates for any wandering going up IMO.
    I usually find myself dropping the fork on the steeper technical climbs. On lesser climbs, a little lean forward keeps the wheel tracking well enough for me. Seat position may have something to do with this too. My seat is adjusted almost all the way forward.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Hey Dubjay - I just looked at your build. Looks real good and I am really starting to like that green color too. Do you have any idea what weight your EVO is coming in at?
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Hey Dubjay - I just looked at your build. Looks real good and I am really starting to like that green color too. Do you have any idea what weight your EVO is coming in at?
    I've actually never weighed it - but my guess would be around 33lbs - give or take a half pound? I think much of the bulk comes from the fork (claimed 5lb w/o steer tube). I know the guys who run the lighter EVOs have the Maverick DUC up front.

If I had a chance, I wouldn't mind trying the new Fox Float 32 Talas on it. It weighs in under 4 lbs and it only has 140mm travel, but the lower axle to crown height might make the EVO geometry a bit more XC/AM oriented.

I'll let you know if I ever get this thing on a scale.

BTW - nice pics! Looks like you had a killer time at Whistler.

mtbr member

Fox 32 Vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I've actually never weighed it - but my guess would be around 33lbs - give or take a half pound? I think much of the bulk comes from the fork (claimed 5lb w/o steer tube). I know the guys who run the lighter EVOs have the Maverick DUC up front.

If I had a chance, I wouldn't mind trying the new Fox Float 32 Talas on it. It weighs in under 4 lbs and it only has 140mm travel, but the lower axle to crown height might make the EVO geometry a bit more XC/AM oriented.

We just received some Vanilla 32s from Fox today with 140mm of travel (5.5 inches). Dubjay is right, it will save weight and make the geometry more XC friendly. I'll be at Fullerton Loop and San Juan this weekend testing it out. I'll post some pics and let you guys know how it turns out. So far, it feels plush and light, but certainly not as much beef as a 36 or Z1.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Apr 2006

..well here she is..

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    We just received some Vanilla 32s from Fox today with 140mm of travel (5.5 inches). Dubjay is right, it will save weight and make the geometry more XC friendly. I'll be at Fullerton Loop and San Juan this weekend testing it out. I'll post some pics and let you guys know how it turns out. So far, it feels plush and light, but certainly not as much beef as a 36 or Z1.
    Here's some pics of her in our showroom. I will give it a test run tonight!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Looks like the quintessential AM machine.

Looking forward to your report.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Looks like the quintessential AM machine.

Looking forward to your report.
    Silverspot,

I got the okay from the boss (Ted). We're going to build you a XC lightweight EVO. We'll start spec'ing it out soon!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Silverspot,

I got the okay from the boss (Ted). We're going to build you a XC lightweight EVO. We'll start spec'ing it out soon!
    Sweet! Keep me posted.

Can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!!
    MCM# 2007.1

not so super...
    I weighed a large tonight - 35.1 lbs.
    Nothing to see here.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I weighed a large tonight - 35.1 lbs.
    That's about the same weight as the freeride demo I had at Whistler. I think if the weight can be dropped to around 31-33 lbs, it might be a more suitable AM bike. Not a lot of climbing involved at Whistler so weight was definately not a factor, but I do quite a bit of climbing locally so weight comes into play a bit more.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    That's about the same weight as the freeride demo I had at Whistler. I think if the weight can be dropped to around 31-33 lbs, it might be a more suitable AM bike. Not a lot of climbing involved at Whistler so weight was definately not a factor, but I do quite a bit of climbing locally so weight comes into play a bit more.
    I put myself and my bike on a digital bathroom scale this morning.

Me w/o bike - 179.5
    Me w/ bike (M/L) - 212.5

Bike= 33lbs +/- .5 since my scale only goes in .5 increments.

not so super...
    This one had a very similar build to the one you listed

Build
    Frame: M/L
    Fork: Marz Z1 Lite
    Shock: DHX-A
    RD: X.0
    FD: XTR
    Brakes: Juicy 7 (7 R/8 F)
    Wheels: DT Swiss 5.1d, 340 hubs
    Tires:F/R - WTB Motoraptor 2.4
    Shifters: X0
    Thomson post
    Selle Italia saddle

Total weight: 35.1

weighed on a digital hanging scale
    Nothing to see here.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I put myself and my bike on a digital bathroom scale this morning.

Me w/o bike - 179.5
    Me w/ bike (M/L) - 212.5

Bike= 33lbs +/- .5 since my scale only goes in .5 increments.
    Last time I weighed my spot using that method, I was about 3 lbs off vs. digital scale. Bathroom scale @ 33 lbs vs digital scale @ 30 lbs. Sounds like your bathroom scale may be a bit more accurate than mine.
    33lbs would be getting it real close for me. Maybe could shave another 1/2lb by changing out to a lighter fork (like the Vanilla32). Hmmmm.....
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member

Last time I weighed my spot using that method, I was about 3 lbs off vs. digital scale. Bathroom scale @ 33 lbs vs digital scale @ 30 lbs. Sounds like your bathroom scale may be a bit more accurate than mine.
    33lbs would be getting it real close for me. Maybe could shave another 1/2lb by changing out to a lighter fork (like the Vanilla32). Hmmmm.....
    Silverspot,

When I weighed my small medium it was around 31 lbs., and that was built with a Maverick fork. I'm pretty sure we can get your test bike to around that weight, but no heavier than 32 lbs.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Silverspot,
    When I weighed my small medium it was around 31 lbs., and that was built with a Maverick fork. I'm pretty sure we can get your test bike to around that weight, but no heavier than 32 lbs.
    32lbs or less would be great! Keep me posted
    MCM# 2007.1

MV Rider
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Talas 32

Dubjay

I have the Talas 32 on my Ventana X-5. It's madien voyage was in Downeville approximately 2 weeks ago. So far, the fork has been great. I and several of my friends ride STT and the Luge alot. We rode last Wednesday, but didn't get out to around 8:45 p.m. See ya on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I got my bike put up on a digital fish scale last night. It weighed in at 32lbs 10oz.

M/L Evo
    Marz AM1
    Hadley/DT Swiss 4.1d w/ 2.4 Mutanos

Compulsive Bike Builder

Pics!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I got my bike put up on a digital fish scale last night. It weighed in at 32lbs 10oz.

M/L Evo
    Marz AM1
    No worries, please post pics ASAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    No worries, please post pics ASAP!
    Here it is when I first built it up in June. None of the parts have been swapped out yet. Upgrade-itis is on hold until those new Hope Moto FR brakes come out

It's a little dirtier now. Since then, I've put on 488 miles w/ 69,000 ft of climbing on my Evo. I'll write up a long term review shortly.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Is that a QR?

Here it is when I first built it up in June.
    Is that a seatpost qr I see? What brand is it? 38 mm qrs are hard to find.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Is that a seatpost qr I see? What brand is it? 38 mm qrs are hard to find.
    Yeah - they are. This one is made by DKG. I think I like the way your Syntace one looks a lot better

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Yeah - they are. This one is made by DKG. I think I like the way your Syntace one looks a lot better
    I do like the Syntace better, but I thought DKG only did the non-qr type. Chumbas should ship new with a QR if you ask me.

Aug 2004

M/L Evo
    Marz AM1
    that's pretty light!

mtbr member
    May 2004

looking to get a 30 to 32lbs. evo

Silverspot,

hi,
    how do you guys like the maverick fork, also are there any plans to tweek the geometry a bit on the evo to keep the front end down better? also was that 31lbs on your kit bike with a maverick fork or did you change other parts as well?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by flying tonkatsu
    hi,
    how do you guys like the maverick fork, also are there any plans to tweek the geometry a bit on the evo to keep the front end down better? also was that 31lbs on your kit bike with a maverick fork or did you change other parts as well?
    Hey there,

Maverick fork seems good for XC riding applications. Come check out the s/m at the shop.

Members who have read this thread: 1