All Mountain Evo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

All Mountain Evo

Hey just wanted to share my recently built-up version of an All-Mountain Evo. This bike was built as a Demo for my small shop and designed for the steep, rocky and downed tree covered trails where we live. We have to climb a lot to get to quality downhills...often on those same steep rocky trails, or on long doubletracks. I like to consider the build light enough to spend hours climbing, and burley enough to smooth out the gnarly downhills and make them fun instead of painful. Here is the build...

* Frame Size & Color: Large Black
    * Fork: Rock Shox Pike 454
    * Brakes: Hayes Mag 7" Rotors
    * Cranks: XT
    * Front Derailleur: XTR E-type
    * Rear Derailleur: XT
    * Pedals: Eggbeater or DMR flats
    * Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm
    * Handlebar: RaceFace Deus Aluminum
    * Seatpost: Thomson
    * Saddle: WTB Laser V Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: XT
    * Cassette: Sram
    * Headset: RaceFace Deus
    * Grips: Pedros Dice Lock-on
    * Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    * Front Rim: DT Swiss 4.1d
    * Front Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 340 / RS Maxle
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    * Rear Rim: DT Swiss 4.1d
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 240/Dt Swiss Skewer
    * Weight: 32?

I have had the chance to ride the bike just enough to really start getting it dialed in. I have covered the gamut of terrain that we tend to ride and am overall extremely impressed. From the getgo this bike felt comfortable (i am 6'0" and 180lbs). First ride started with a long ride on a gently uphill gravel road (10 miles) ...the bike seemed to respond to pedaling and i didn't feel like i was losing energy with each stroke. Perhaps a little better in this category than i had expected, but nothing to write home about. The downhill was on a rocky, fast doubletrack...this is where the bike blew me away. It feels so lively going in and out of rocky sections and it sticks to it's line rarely getting pinged around. Nice. I felt like i had been riding it for years. This was a good intro, but i needed to take it on a real climb to see if this was really going to be the all-mountain rig i hoped it would be. So i slammed the fork down, turned the propedal up and rode a very technical, narrow, and steep trail that i know well. It took me a little bit to figure out the technique and proper weighting that would optimize it's performance, but once i did, i was cleaning everything that i do on my light bike (and more in some cases). The bike feels different than many long travel bikes that i have ridden in rocky uphill sections, it never seemed to "hook" on bike rocks or eject me out of the saddle. Instead, it made me feel more like the obstacle wasn't even there...i don't know about the suspension pushing me forward, but it certainly didn't feel like it was slowing me down. The climb was fun, and it seemed lively. I felt a little bit more tired at the top, but i didn't feel like i lost anything in terms of performance. This thing just rips on the downhill, and again i didn't feel like i had to hold back, i felt so comfortable riding things much smoother and snappier than i had in the past. Bottom line: i am not afraid to take this bike on all day climbs, and i really can't stop thinking about riding it! I think it is a well balanced machine. Oh...and this thing is beautiful, i highly recommend seeing one in person, like a work of art.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

photos

oops... heres a photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2004
    damn nice bike..great ride report

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I am getting my black M/L frame tomorrow 8/9/06. I am about to throw up from exitement.

BTW, Did it really weigh 32lbs? I am also 6'0 tall, does the frame feels small at all? About how long is your steerer tube because I am thinking of getting a used fork and I am worried that I might get a tube that's too short. Thanks for helping. This is the first bike I am going to build.

nerfherder

Pike?

Thanks for the review, Uinta.

How's the Pike? Do you wish you'd gotten a longer fork or are you pretty satisfied with the Pike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    To me the bike feels perfect size wise...i definately wouldn't say that it feels small. In fact the effective top-tube length feels great with the saddle at climbing height (perhaps part of why it climbs so well?) I have noticed that i have to be very conscious of sliding forward on my saddle when i am climbing likely because of the seattube angle, but i like the extension it provides. Headtube is 5". Sorry the weight is a total guess (perhaps a bit conservative? i'd like to think it weighs less), as i haven't had the opportunity to weigh it (our scale shattered recently). Everyone who picks it up says that it is lighter than they thought it would be. I think the lightweight wheelset really helps with weight and acceleration. Also, the DT hubs rock...they engage so quickly and precisely. So far, i am really loving the Pike. It is great for the terrain that we have around here...rocky trails with small drops. I don't do much hucking, unless i go down to the desert, but even then it is smaller drops 2-5 ft. If i was doing more than that, i would probably be tempted to get something with more travel. As is, the bike feels well balanced to me, and the Pike is very adjustable. RockShox have certainly stepped up their game. The stroke is very smooth and takes big hits well (especially for an air fork). After another ride last night, i continue to feel like this is the bike i have been waiting for. Plus, it feels very good to me to be supporting the small guy...i want to get a ride on the xcl as well; that thing looks great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks a lot.

I am now set on getting the Pike 454, DT4.1 rims, DT 340 hubs.

nerfherder

DT 340s

Yeah, I had a 340 on the back of my Demo Evo and I was really pleasantly surprised. I have my heart set on a King but the 340's engagement is pretty quick. Not King quick, but suffiently quick. And the hub is pretty quiet. I'd happily "settle" for the 340. I think I'd go with 5.1d's to for a little more durability. Or Mavics for UST out of the box. But the 340s with 4.1s should be snappy and quick.

Uinta - thanks for the Pike comments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    maybe its just me but i think the thru-axle helps alot in terms of stiffness...something that you don't get on most 5.5" travel forks.

nerfherder
    It's not just you. Thru-axles rule.

Fartographer
    I've been to Kamas! Are there mtb-legal trails in the Uintas?

How much travel does that bike have? And what's the headtube angle?
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    How much travel does that bike have? And what's the headtube angle?
    Travel - 6"
    Head Tube Angle - 68.5 w/150mm fork.
    MCM# 2007.1

Fartographer

Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Travel - 6"
    I'd like to see a 10 or 12mm axle on the back and get a slacker headtube angle. What's the word about putting a 7-inch fork on it? Right now I have a VP-Free with a shorter rear shock and a 36 Talas. I love the geometry. It's the most confidence-inspiring bike I've ever had. But I don't love the VPP suspension. I had a Dare and I think it felt a lot better climbing and on really rocky terrain.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Apr 2006

I'd like to see a 10 or 12mm axle on the back and get a slacker headtube angle. What's the word about putting a 7-inch fork on it? Right now I have a VP-Free with a shorter rear shock and a 36 Talas. I love the geometry. It's the most confidence-inspiring bike I've ever had. But I don't love the VPP suspension. I had a Dare and I think it felt a lot better climbing and on really rocky terrain.
    I know a guy with Marz 66 on his EVO. I think his head tube angle is about 66. Yea, I hear you about VPP, when I rode the Nomad, the suspension felt chattery and unpredictable imho, although I did think it was a good climber.

not so super...
    Can you say Highline
    Nothing to see here.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    What's the word about putting a 7-inch fork on it?
    If you're going to be doing some climbing and you want to put a 7" fork on it, I would suggest that you find a fork with travel adjustment/ETA. The front already wants to lift with a 150mm on it. The ETA came in handy for climbing on the EVO demo with a Z1 Light ETA that I rode a few weeks back.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It is slacker.

Travel - 6"
    The HA with a Pike is around 68.5. With the Z1 light, there is no way the HA on the Evo is 68.5dg. The A2C is much taller than a Pike and I would say the HA is around 67.5dg at full travel. Slacker than the published numbers anyways.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    The HA with a Pike is around 68.5. With the Z1 light, there is no way the HA on the Evo is 68.5dg. The A2C is much taller than a Pike and I would say the HA is around 67.5dg at full travel. Slacker than the published numbers anyways.
    You may be right. I was going off the published geometry and assumed a 150mm fork (as most builders match the front with the rear travel to come up with the HA). It sure didn't feel as though the demo I had at Whistler was as slack as 67.5dg with the Z1.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not exactly sure but,

You may be right. I was going off the published geometry and assumed a 150mm fork (as most builders match the front with the rear travel to come up with the HA). It sure didn't feel as though the demo I had at Whistler was as slack as 67.5dg with the Z1.
    I had a 6-Pack with a Fox 36 and the A2C is very close to the Z1. The Z1 on the Evo feels a little bit slacker. The published HA on the Pack with a 150mm fork is 68dg as well.

Aug 2004
    probably more like 67 imo

mtbr member
    Unita, nice report. Do you have any more pics of that bike? I've got an evo coming and a pike waiting to go on her. It's a black frame, so it's going to look very similar to that one; I'd like a preview!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Unita, nice report. Do you have any more pics of that bike? I've got an evo coming and a pike waiting to go on her. It's a black frame, so it's going to look very similar to that one; I'd like a preview!
    I have a White Evo with a Silver Pike and it compliments the bike quite well. I would like to hear some Lyric reports on the Evo.

mtbr member
    ^me too! I can't afford the lyric after purchasing the evo, and I have the pike already, but that lyric looks sweet. It's not much heavier than the coil pike I've got now either.

mtbr member
    ronny, how do you like your pike on the downs? do you wish you had more travel/beefier front end?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My other fork was a Z1 light and it was a little easier to bomb rock gardens and the steeps, stunts etc. A taller fork will slacken the HA and give you more travel, which will naturally allow more aggressive riding. I have been on a couple of freeride oriented trails where I wish I had a bigger fork, but I can still get by with the Pike. I ride much more xc/all mountain terrain than freeride, so it is a good trade off. If you are going to be doing a lot of freeriding, a taller fork works better.

The Pike still allows aggressive riding, but makes for easier climbing which is important to me because some of the climbs in my neck of the woods can be several kms long and technical. The U-turn of the Pike is much more user friendly than the ETA on my Z1 light was. No comparison here. The maxle is much better than using pinch bolts as well. The Zokes for 07 seem to have addressed these issues, so I am looking forward to some future Zoke ride reports.

This post ended up being long winded but, the Rock Shox Lyric might be a worth while investment for those wanting a longer, beefier fork that can be adjusted for climbing. I am thinking about getting one.

mtbr member
    thanks for sharing your experience with the pike. I also ride more xc/am type stuff. I had the pike for a hardtail I was going to build, but that's a whole other frustrating story, so I'm slapping it on the evo.
    I do bomb some pretty gnarly steeps though, so I'm thinking the more beefy lyric would be the ultimate for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0