737 Panaracer Rampage clearance issues with XT M760- Mtbr.com

May 2007

737 Panaracer Rampage clearance issues with XT M760

Yeeeah let's just say there is no clearance for rampage and the new style XT M760 dérailleur. I called Jenson and ordered a low mount dual pull sram x.7 front to see if it clears these tires. Right now I'm running an old school xt front der and it clears fine. Just and FYI for all of you wondering...

mtbr member
    hmm, that's interesting. What size frame is it? --Mark

May 2007
    It's a large frame, here's a crappy pic:

mtbr member
    ouch, you weren't kidden! That's a tight fit. I wonder if a top mount would fit better? So far I've only seen one other geared 29er, TR's. He's using a smaller tire though. --Mark

May 2007
    Update:

I had Jenson send me a low mount Sram X.7, it came today but it didn't have the correct spacer in the box, looks like this der was returned at some point. Doesn't matter though because the X.7 won't clear the tire either haha.

So I'm back to my old school XT FD M750 der for now!

mtbr member
    Well that sucks! I have a top mount XT on my 660. When I get home this evening I'll measure how far it come of off the frame towards the rear tire. To me it looks like the top mount doesn't sickout as far, I'm guessing no more than an inch. But I'll measure it for sure later today. --Mark

May 2007
    Thanks Mark! Yeah I just ordered a top mount XT because it does look thinner like my old low mount xt I've got now.

Took it out for it's first ride yesterday after a rain, incredible how smooth the ride is, and it climbs so freakin well!

mtbr member
    Just measured it, sticks out 1 inch from the frame. How much space do you have from the frame to the tire?

May 2007
    Thanks Mark, I just got my xt high mount in today, and there's good and bad news. The bottom pull section of the arm on the der hits the tire, good news is that I can just cut that piece off and get the clearance I need.

I'll post up better pics of the hacked XT derailleur when it's done, here's a cell pic of the interference now:

mtbr member
    well that sucks! I guess those tires are just too big. I've actually though about cutting that off on my XT just to shave some weight. --Mark

May 2007
    clearance is mine! New top mount XT did the trick after cutting the bottom pull bracket section off:

mtbr member
    perfect! I think what it comes down to is that's one big a$$ tire. Glad you were able to get it working. --Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0