737 EBB to geared?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    95

    737 EBB to geared?

    I've been happily running a 737 EBB for about a year. I broke my ankle in march, and I don't currently have the strength in it to push a SS.

    So, what can I do to try and run gears?

  2. #2
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Shimano Nexus? Not sure what you would do with Nexus for rear brakes other than their roller brake option.

    Don't know about whether Rohloff would work or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1
    I welded on a hanger from a old steel Specialized frame, but of course that is permanent. I can go both ways like some Niners and Fishers and a few other frames. I have to run full length cable housing to the derailleur for 1x9, works great. Still, always run single speed anyway and the hanger just goes for the ride until I need it again....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I've been happily running a 737 EBB for about a year. I broke my ankle in march, and I don't currently have the strength in it to push a SS.

    So, what can I do to try and run gears?
    I say find a local framebuilder or someone experienced specifically with bike welding. There are lots in CA. He should be able to replace the right side dropout with a proper steel one instead of just tacking an extra piece on. Heck, maybe he can braze on some cable stops for a rear derailleur while he's at it.

    It sounds like a good excuse for a new paint job too

    Probably not the cheapest option, but you would end up with a nice dual purpose frame that can change with your moods (and health )

  5. #5
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Hate to be a drag, but for the money to braze or weld on a new dropout and then PC the frame you could just scrounge a new inexpensive geared frame of similar quality to the Zion frames. Think about it, at most expensive these frames were only $250.00 and the last ones like mine were only $115.00.

    Internal gearing is the only solution that won't require major frame work.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Hate to be a drag, but for the money to braze or weld on a new dropout and then PC the frame you could just scrounge a new inexpensive geared frame of similar quality to the Zion frames. Think about it, at most expensive these frames were only $250.00 and the last ones like mine were only $115.00.

    Internal gearing is the only solution that won't require major frame work.
    Hmm, powercoat isn't cheap but I didn't realize it was that expensive for the brazing work too

    I guess the OP would need a new rear wheel anyway if his current hub is SS only. So internal gears or a Saint hub and RD would def. be the cheapest way to do it. The Saint would be better suited for off road abuse

  7. #7
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Hmm, powercoat isn't cheap but I didn't realize it was that expensive for the brazing work too

    I guess the OP would need a new rear wheel anyway if his current hub is SS only. So internal gears or a Saint hub and RD would def. be the cheapest way to do it. The Saint would be better suited for off road abuse
    I guess it all depends on who is doing the work. Maybe $20.00 to $40.00 for droputs, then another $50.00 to $100.00 for welding or brazing? Then another $100.00 to $200.00 depending on who is doing the powder? I guess if your going to go to that extent you ought as well drop the coin for Paragon sliders so you can use whatever dropout style you want down the road, but then the EBB is kind of redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.